question - cutting CF poles to length

Old February 18th 04, 03:37 AM
Chris Crawford

Default question - cutting CF poles to length

Hi All, I have a pair of CF/Glass poles I need to cut down 4 cm. Can
anyone give me any ideas on how to remove either the basket or grip?
Are they hot glued on? pressure fit? epoxied?

Thanks
Chris

Old February 18th 04, 06:19 AM
levi

In article .com, Chris
Crawford wrote:

Hi All, I have a pair of CF/Glass poles I need to cut down 4 cm. Can
anyone give me any ideas on how to remove either the basket or grip?
Are they hot glued on? pressure fit? epoxied?

Hot glue. I believe that a "special" glue with lower melting point than
the easily available sticks is the standard, but used sparingly the typical
hot glue stick will work fine.

Quick removal technique is to use a hot air gun, like a hair dryer but
hotter. But take care, you can get the shaft too hot and ruin the pole
before the glue comes loose. Pull straight, don't twist!

A longer, messier, but reliable technique is to soak the grip (or tip)
in a tall glass of nearly boiling water. The trick here is to wait long
enough for the heat to penetrate and melt the glue - but not so long that
everything cools off!
Old February 18th 04, 01:49 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Sometimes hot top water works for disassembly, but boiling water always
does and is good for reassembly. That is, unless you have a Swix cork
grip, in which case use a heat gun or hot sauna and only dip the pole
end in the water for reassembly. Try glue gun glue sticks at the
hardware store. Wrap masking tape around the edge of where the cut will
be. Be careful.

Gene

Old February 18th 04, 01:51 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

levi wrote:

Hot glue. I believe that a "special" glue with lower melting point than
the easily available sticks is the standard, but used sparingly the typical
hot glue stick will work fine.

What do you have in mind?
Old February 18th 04, 03:11 PM
George Cleveland

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:49:59 GMT, Gene Goldenfeld
wrote:

Sometimes hot top water works for disassembly, but boiling water always
does and is good for reassembly. That is, unless you have a Swix cork
grip, in which case use a heat gun or hot sauna and only dip the pole
end in the water for reassembly. Try glue gun glue sticks at the
hardware store. Wrap masking tape around the edge of where the cut will
be. Be careful.

Gene

What is the best cutting implement? I've used a pipe cutter on my
poles with aluminum tubes but I doubt if that would work on a
composite shaft.

g.c.

Old February 18th 04, 03:27 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

George Cleveland wrote:

What is the best cutting implement? I've used a pipe cutter on my
poles with aluminum tubes but I doubt if that would work on a
composite shaft.

Hacksaw. Even a well worn blade works if you're careful. Do several
cuts by turning the pole, rather than trying to go all the way through
in one.

Gene

Old February 18th 04, 06:45 PM
Marsh Jones

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
George Cleveland wrote:

What is the best cutting implement? I've used a pipe cutter on my
poles with aluminum tubes but I doubt if that would work on a
composite shaft.

Hacksaw. Even a well worn blade works if you're careful. Do several
cuts by turning the pole, rather than trying to go all the way through
in one.

Gene

Also, if you wrap a layer of masking tape around the pole before you cut
it, it won't tend to splinter as much, and keeps the saw from skipping
out of the cut.

WEAR GLOVES!!! You do not want carbon fibre splinters in your hands.

Marsh

Old February 18th 04, 07:39 PM
sknyski

And the poles should be cut at the grip end.

This cannot be emphasized enough. (I'm serious)

bt