Black diamond skiing

Old February 7th 05, 02:54 PM
Chuck

Default Black diamond skiing

Is it considered a bad thing for an intermediate level skier like myself
to be taking my time skiing the black diamond trails? Most of the folks
I see attempting these trails are moving a lot faster than I am. The
blue trails are no longer a challenge to me and I want to push myself to
get better, but I also want to be able to do some traversing on these
trails. Am I creating a hazard for those who want to ski them faster? I
try to wait at the top of the steeper areas off to the side until the
better skiers go past but I still often find that while I'm traversing
down, someone else goes zipping by at 50mpg or faster and I wonder if
they will have time to react.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old February 7th 05, 02:59 PM
Chester Bullock

Chuck wrote:
Is it considered a bad thing for an intermediate level skier like myself
to be taking my time skiing the black diamond trails? Most of the folks
I see attempting these trails are moving a lot faster than I am. The
blue trails are no longer a challenge to me and I want to push myself to
get better, but I also want to be able to do some traversing on these
trails. Am I creating a hazard for those who want to ski them faster? I
try to wait at the top of the steeper areas off to the side until the
better skiers go past but I still often find that while I'm traversing
down, someone else goes zipping by at 50mpg or faster and I wonder if
they will have time to react.

It has never bothered me to pass people, or be passed by people.
Generally speaking, if someone is bombing down an expert trail, they are
good enough to get by you without incident. I wouldn't worry about it
personally.

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247

Old February 7th 05, 03:56 PM
MattB

Chester Bullock wrote:
Chuck wrote:

[...]

True for the most part, but I'd look uphill before traversing to be sure
it's clear. Ir's technically the responsibility of the skier above you
to avoid a collision, but a watchful eye from the downhill skier is a
good precaution.
Have fun!

Matt

Old February 7th 05, 04:27 PM
VtSkier

Chuck wrote:
Is it considered a bad thing for an intermediate level skier like myself
to be taking my time skiing the black diamond trails? Most of the folks
I see attempting these trails are moving a lot faster than I am. The
blue trails are no longer a challenge to me and I want to push myself to
get better, but I also want to be able to do some traversing on these
trails. Am I creating a hazard for those who want to ski them faster? I
try to wait at the top of the steeper areas off to the side until the
better skiers go past but I still often find that while I'm traversing
down, someone else goes zipping by at 50mpg or faster and I wonder if
they will have time to react.

I certainly have no objection to someone like yourself
skiing down diamond trails. The only thing I ask is that
you not "scrape" down the trail when it has snow on it.
When it's all ice then you might see me scraping down it.
See "scraping" in other threads about snowboards.

The one other thing is that on blue trails, it's sometimes
really really fun to blast down them at mach 6. You can tell
who knows what they are doing just by looking at them.
Some people will be doing mach 6 and you can just tell
they will be lucky if they don't wind up in the woods.

Don't be scared and don't get ****ed. We'll miss you
(miss in the sense of not hitting).

In other words, you can come play in our backyard if
we can come play in yours.

VtSkier

Old February 7th 05, 04:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-07, Chuck penned:
Is it considered a bad thing for an intermediate level skier like myself to
be taking my time skiing the black diamond trails? Most of the folks I see
attempting these trails are moving a lot faster than I am. The blue trails
are no longer a challenge to me and I want to push myself to get better, but
I also want to be able to do some traversing on these trails. Am I creating
a hazard for those who want to ski them faster? I try to wait at the top of
the steeper areas off to the side until the better skiers go past but I
still often find that while I'm traversing down, someone else goes zipping
by at 50mpg or faster and I wonder if they will have time to react.

wow, 50mpg? That's great mileage! *grin*

Seriously though, I'd much rather you ski slowly than ski beyond your ability
level and hurt yourself or someone else. Also, while you can practice
technique very well on blues, there are some conditions and terrain types you
just won't encounter unless you ski black diamonds -- so it's really part of
improving your skiing.

Of course, I may be biased, as I pick my way down black moguls. I'm now
perhaps moving at turtle speed as opposed to slug speed ...

As for your last sentence. If they don't have time to react, then they are
skiing beyond their abilities and are violating the skier code of conduct, or
at least the spirit thereof. No one should be skiing so fast that they can't
stop when they need to. (I'm sure there are some slopes on which that could
be debated because of steepness, but I'm going to take a wild stab here and
guess those aren't the ones you're talking about.) Just make sure you are
visible from above when you are traversing.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 7th 05, 04:51 PM
Chuck

VtSkier wrote:
Chuck wrote:

[...]

I'm quite familiar with scraping and snowboards . I don't scrape at
all. I'm just carving wider arcs than most. I actually find it easier to
carve on the black trails than the blues and greens. I think it has
something to do with the additional centrifugal force helping bend the skis.

I don't even attempt the black trails in ice but skiing mostly in PA I
am quite familiar with the creature. Probably 80% of my skiing as at
night and in the east ice skiing and night skiing are pretty much
synonymous.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old February 7th 05, 07:08 PM
Gary S.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:59:46 -0600, Chester Bullock
wrote:

Chuck wrote:
[...]

The overtaking skier is responsible for being in control, and avoiding
you. As long as you are not out of sight around a corner, or skiing
unpredictably, it should not be a problem.

Like in traffic, though, having a right to be there will not alter the
laws of physics. Be aware.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old February 7th 05, 07:10 PM
JQ

"MattB" wrote in message
Chester Bullock wrote:
Chuck wrote:

[...]

If you are already traversing don't worry about what is up hill just keep a
consistent rhythm make no abrupt stops or turns.
This way the uphill skier can get around you with no problems. When
traversing to the other side of the run leave enough room at the edge of the
run for skiers to get by at least 2 feet more if possible.

Do these runs they are there for you too, enjoy them this is the only way
you will get better and be able to do them. If possible try to ski with
someone that is able to do these runs to help you if needed. If possible
before taking any black trail try to find out the condition of the trail
before making a commitment to do it (icy, bare spots, rocks, width of the
trail, steepness, bumps, groomed or not and etc.)

Have fun!
JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 7th 05, 07:11 PM
Alan Baker

In article ,
Chuck wrote:

Is it considered a bad thing for an intermediate level skier like myself
to be taking my time skiing the black diamond trails? Most of the folks
I see attempting these trails are moving a lot faster than I am. The
blue trails are no longer a challenge to me and I want to push myself to
get better, but I also want to be able to do some traversing on these
trails. Am I creating a hazard for those who want to ski them faster? I
try to wait at the top of the steeper areas off to the side until the
better skiers go past but I still often find that while I'm traversing
down, someone else goes zipping by at 50mpg or faster and I wonder if
they will have time to react.

I think there has to be something you can do short of the black trails
if you're traversing them, but not getting challenged on the blues.

Have you considered skiing the blues faster?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Old February 7th 05, 08:16 PM
Chuck

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
Chuck wrote:

Is it considered a bad thing for an intermediate level skier like myself
to be taking my time skiing the black diamond trails? Most of the folks
I see attempting these trails are moving a lot faster than I am. The
blue trails are no longer a challenge to me and I want to push myself to
get better, but I also want to be able to do some traversing on these
trails. Am I creating a hazard for those who want to ski them faster? I
try to wait at the top of the steeper areas off to the side until the
better skiers go past but I still often find that while I'm traversing
down, someone else goes zipping by at 50mpg or faster and I wonder if
they will have time to react.

I think there has to be something you can do short of the black trails
if you're traversing them, but not getting challenged on the blues.

Have you considered skiing the blues faster?

Tried it but my skis tend to get unstable at faster speeds. It's
probably time to upgrade but I don't want to spend the money when I only
get out 4-5 days a year. They are Head Carve 15's -
beginner/intermediate skis. They have served me well for about 5 years
now but as like I said when I get up around 20-25 mph they start to to
feel unstable.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 01:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM