Jump Mechanics?

Old February 25th 04, 02:44 AM
DC

Default Jump Mechanics?

Ok I'm a total newbie, started this season. I think I want to try some jumps
before the season ends though.
I think I understand how a jump should go, but can someone spell it out for
me? To my understanding you:

1. Ride flat to the jump
2. Crouch down a bit
3. On lift off extend from crouch
4. Then raise your legs up to your chest
5. Spot landing
6. Extend legs down to absorb impact, keeping them slightly bend
7. Land to the cheering throngs of people.

Is that right or wrong? I've also read on this board to not crouch down, but
stay straight up???

Old February 25th 04, 10:23 AM
Han Solo (D)

"DC" wrote:

Is that right or wrong? I've also read on this board to not crouch
down, but to
stay straight up???

Depends on the jump, but we learned that it's easier to move in the air
when you just let yourself carry over the jump without crouching.
That's my own experience, too.

Han Solo
Old February 25th 04, 02:04 PM
Barney

"DC" wrote in message
Ok I'm a total newbie, started this season. I think I want to try some

jumps
before the season ends though.
I think I understand how a jump should go, but can someone spell it out

for
me? To my understanding you:

1. Ride flat to the jump
2. Crouch down a bit
3. On lift off extend from crouch
4. Then raise your legs up to your chest
5. Spot landing
6. Extend legs down to absorb impact, keeping them slightly bend
7. Land to the cheering throngs of people.

Is that right or wrong? I've also read on this board to not crouch down,

but

I'd add:

4.5: DON'T twist round to face forward - keep the board straight, or you'll
land on an edge. It hurts.

and

8. Keep riding flat until you're back in control of things.

Old February 25th 04, 05:25 PM
Thomas Kurth

Heyho DC,

In rec.skiing.snowboard, DC said...
Ok I'm a total newbie, started this season. I think I want to try some jumps
before the season ends though.

That's a good goal, but be careful! If you crash too hard you might
loose your self-confidence and don't want to try again for a while...

I think I understand how a jump should go, but can someone spell it out for
me? To my understanding you:

1. Ride flat to the jump
2. Crouch down a bit
3. On lift off extend from crouch
4. Then raise your legs up to your chest
5. Spot landing
6. Extend legs down to absorb impact, keeping them slightly bend
7. Land to the cheering throngs of people.

If you extend from crouch, you might get a lot up in the air, which I
think is not so good for the first jumps... Just search for a small
kicker (very small for the first times) with some powder behind. maybe
you find a small edge in a powder-area. It's easier to land in the
powder, because, the edge of your board is not so agressive as on packed
powder. Let the edge/kicker do the yump for you for the first attempts.
Then crouch and really jump from this edge/kicker... After landing try
to get control over your board... I found it a little easier not to get
down with a flat board, because you get fast quickly... And I found it
easier to land on an edge. My first jumps were just at the side of the
slope, where the snow is forming a little edge and there is powder
behind. I took my first real kicker after nearly 5 weeks on my board.
Damn, was it high... And packe powder behind... I tried to land on the
flat board and caught the lower edge (my backside) and fell on my ass...
Huh, it hurt very much... I had a headache for some minutes... the
second I cought the frontside, again the lower edge, and fell like a
tree on my chest... It was hard to breathe after this incident. But I
will try again... If you try it in powder you should not lean forward,
because you might get with the nose of your board in the powder and then
the board stops an your nose (in your face) will hit the snow. But this
doesn't hurt... It's powder...

Have fun and tell us about your results.

Greetz,

Thomas

--

No matter if you are going on-piste or off-piste, just hit the slope and
stay healthy!

For mail reply replace "nospam" with "kurth" and "net" with "de".
The above mentioned adress is valid, but ignored.
Old February 26th 04, 04:53 AM
Sharkie

"DC" wrote in message news:k_T_b.401243$na.772795@attbi_s04...
1. Ride flat to the jump

Not necessarily. I'm not saying approaching a jump flat is bad,
but I prefer to be slightly on my toe edge before the jump.
It's not a requirement, but it feels very stable doing so.

To approach the jump on the toe edge instead of approaching it
straight in the center, I do a line going from right of center,
to left of center just before the take off (I'm regular).
In other words I do a small toe side turn just before the take off.

Also, you have to be on an edge when you do rotational jumps
to get enough rotating momentum. Might as well start this way
with straight jumps.

2. Crouch down a bit
3. On lift off extend from crouch
4. Then raise your legs up to your chest

This is an optional style move. It's not required when you learn jumps,
but will give you style points later on.

5. Spot landing
6. Extend legs down to absorb impact, keeping them slightly bend
7. Land to the cheering throngs of people.

Is that right or wrong? I've also read on this board to not crouch down, but
stay straight up???

Absolutely! Crouching down will throw you off balance.

Landing a jump I-ball Snowboarding 9 March 11th 04 03:19 AM
180s jaycb74 Snowboarding 12 February 6th 04 01:44 AM
boarding the really steep stuff msegal Snowboarding 12 January 15th 04 07:23 PM
Help jump start a Park City Forum. User General 0 November 15th 03 06:59 PM
Jump Start a Park City Forum User Snowboarding 0 November 15th 03 06:57 PM