trip report, Norsk (New London, NH) Jan 29

Old January 30th 05, 05:39 PM
Lee Derbenwick

Default trip report, Norsk (New London, NH) Jan 29

My wife and I did a day trip yesterday to Norsk, in New London, NH.
We've often skied there while staying at the Follansbee Inn in
North Sutton, but this was our first attempt at a day trip from
here in northern MA (Westford, not far from Lowell)).

Very good conditions and beautiful weather (light top was enough; my
sweater stayed tied around my waist all day). There were a couple
thin spots in the tracks in the most exposed areas of the flats --
part of the return half of Scorpio (on the golf course), some of the
Airport Loop, and one spot on Pit Road. But those were fine outside
the tracks, and everything else was beautiful. And it didn't seem
to want to deteriorate -- Bear is a heavily used connector between
two parts of the trail system, but the tracks there were still in
great shape at 4:30.

Based on how busy the parking lots, the ski shop, and the outside
ski racks were, there were a lot of skiers there, but I didn't seem
to find them on the trails -- the biggest backup of the day for me
was at one intersection where I waited for a couple with two little
kids to finish crossing, and they were being good staying all to one
side of the trail. And unlike many who post here, I'm not an expert;
I spent the day on green and not-too-difficult blue trails, which I'd
expect to be the crowded spots if any are. With the whole system
open, I guess people had just spread out pretty well.

So all in all, an excellent day skiing! Lunch at the country club's
restaurant was also excellent, but be aware that the Monte Cristo
sandwich (a real one, batter-dipped and deep-fried, not just French
toast style) is _filling_! Good fuel for the day, but I did start
the afternoon tour at a, hmmm, leisurely pace . . . :-)

--
***** I'm sure I parked my opinions somewhere around here. *****
Lee Derbenwick
Old January 30th 05, 05:59 PM
FITZGERALD

I was there today and John has done a good job grooming what he has .A
beautiful low key day skatig with my wife.
Fitzgerald

Old January 31st 05, 12:05 AM
diane

I live about 1/2 hour from New London, NH. I'm a novice skier and haven't
gone to a Nordic park yet. I was just looking at Norsk's website today and
was wondering what they had vs. the local park trails that I have for free.
I do want to take a loop trail- I still am afraid of going too far away from
the car. I'm like the horse looking for the barn still, but I love the
workout.

I definably want to take some lessons to gain control and it is nice to find
other skiers. I probably will go during the week and take advantage of the
resident discounts.

I'm lucky to live in NH- Everyone was out today, Sunny 25 degrees, 12"
base- Hikers, snow shoers, skiers and skaters all at the local muni park.
Barriers so the snow mobiles stay out, but some obviously helped pack the
trail down.

Diane

Old January 31st 05, 09:55 AM
Fitzgerald

Taking lessons is a great way to get more comfortable on skis. Maureen at
Norsk does a great job with all levels.
Fitzgerald

Old January 31st 05, 05:21 PM
diane

that is what I want- I'll need to check the schedule for classes.

We were talking about this at work today. We have many trails to ski on
here, but many times I want to ski when I can't find a buddy to go with me-
at least at the Center I wouldn't be alone should something happen.

diane