Denver Post Article: Bode Miller

Old February 17th 06, 11:23 AM

Default Denver Post Article: Bode Miller

Miller's time running on empty
By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Sports Columnist

Sestriere Colle, Italy - His name always sounded like a cartoon
character. And now Bode Miller is one. A goofball on skis. He has
become the SpongeBob SquarePants of the Winter Olympics.

Treat everything as a prank - your sport, your image, your team - and
pretty soon it's your life that's the joke.

As the sun set Tuesday on the Italian Alps, another chance for a gold
medal down the toilet, Miller said, "Hey, what can you do?"

For starters, he could drop the slacker attitude, grow up and pretend
the Olympics are compelling enough for a 28-year-old man to pay
attention.

The problem with being the flavor of the week is the beer doesn't stay
cold for long. Miller time? Gone flat.

Get out of the way for fresh-faced Ted Ligety, who won a race that
apparently left Bode so bored he mindlessly threw it away.

Heck, I remember when Miller mattered. He was famous for skiing loud.
It seemed like only 15 minutes ago.

American pop culture has a short attention span. If stock in Miller was
going downhill any faster, he'd be Google.

Bode had the world at his ski tips, then veered badly off course. He
tried so freakin' hard to be different, boasting to this TV show about
reckless drinking, throwing mud at fellow American Lance Armstrong in
that magazine, until what originally made Miller real and genuine got
lost in the hype.

What a waste.

The combined skiing event - three arduous heats that test both the iron
nerves and quick feet of competitors - is what Miller did best before
the former World Cup all-around champion stopped taking his sport
seriously.

Leading the Olympic combined after the downhill segment, pushing the
pedal to the metal like the bodacious Bode we used to love, Miller went
all conservative on us and slipped up during his first of two scheduled
slalom runs, missing a gate on the course, an offense that earned him
immediate disqualification.

The DQ means Miller, who won two medals at the Winter Games four years
ago on U.S. turf, is now in real danger of leaving Italy empty-handed.
But why should we care? Miller acted as if he had dropped a penny in
the snow.

"I don't tend to get that disappointed," said Miller, who joked that a
90-minute drive down the mountain to the city for today's medal
ceremony was a hassle he didn't really need. "At least I don't have to
go all the way down to Torino."

What a goof. He is Dennis Rodman on skis, "Refrigerator" Perry in a
body glove, Hulk Hogan of the snow.

One spit wad at a time, Miller has quickly devolved into a better
iconoclast than a skier. While his

Talent remains off the charts, his focus is lost in space. Rather than
a quirky sidebar, outrageousness is now Bode's signature. And he's
scrawling on the establishment in crayon. Which is cool, until the
winning stops and somebody has to clean up the graffiti.
Celebrity never fit Miller, and when America pushed fame on him,
looking to put a rough-hewn face on these Games, he pushed back. After
being knighted by Nike as sporting royalty, Miller has acted like a
clown prince.

He dabbled on the World Cup tour this winter, belittled the mainstream
media he manipulated to build his Q-rating, then showed up at the
Olympics unprepared to back the U.S. alpine ski team's bold official
motto of "Best in the World."

The son of hippies raised in a house without plumbing or electricity,
Miller did not hide his disgust when asked shortly after arriving at
the Games if he had sold out and gone corporate.

"Whether I'm a hypocrite, you would have to wait until you see how I
raise my family," replied Miller, insisting nobody sees him wearing fur
or flashing bling. "My most expensive car is probably not as expensive
as your car."

As if on a dare, Bode seems to be bombing out at the Olympics to prove
the biggest moment of his athletic career can't define him.

Success has not spoiled Miller, so much as fame induces yawns. He gives
the distinct impression of wanting to take the first exit from the
traditional American dream and go home.

Along the dirt road leading to Miller's funky A-frame house in New
Hampshire, there are two hand-painted signs that succinctly state his
attitude toward the rest of the world.

"BEAT IT" hollers one sign, while another shouts: "SCRAM."

Don't have to tell us twice, Bode.

We're gone.

Old February 17th 06, 02:39 PM

Miller's time running on empty
By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Sports Columnist

Yup, that's how little knowledge at work, bias, shallow, and
hypocritical.

taichiskiing

Old February 17th 06, 04:13 PM

1. Miller attacked the DH in the KB and led.

2. Miller takes a boot buckle line through the flush in the 1st SL
(did anybody else see that at least one of his buckles had come undone
during the SL?) and misses a gate. **** happens when you race,
especially when you attack. But, if you want to win, that's what you
have to do. My feeling is that Miller is SO SICK of the media not
getting this that he's just like, "Yea, **** happens" and that is
driving these people crazy!

What a dumbass this Mark Kiszla is. I bet Mark Kiszla thinks Bode
forgot to buckle his boots because he was so bored with it all. I
guess that if an athlete doesn't get all bummed out and start crying
about not getting gold, then they're a slacker.

Good God. What are all these assholes gonna say and do IF Miller
podiums? What if Miller gets a Gold in SG or GS or SL? What are they
gonna say then? I really dont' care who podiums, but that this point,
I'd like to see Bode get at least one podium so that he can throw it
back into the media's face.

Actually, I'd like to see him win gold. Get up on the podium, get
throught the National Anthem, remove the medal and give it to some kid
in the crowd.
--
Marty

Old February 17th 06, 04:47 PM

American Journalism, what a joke. These snide, petty, adolescent
impostors think to gain credibility they have to trash _everything_

Yup, that IS how they gain credibility because the people eat that ****
up.

American mainstream media wins the Gold in the "Hero Build Up and Tear
Down" event.
--
Marty

Old February 17th 06, 10:16 PM

Treat everything as a prank - your sport, your image, your team - and
pretty soon it's your life that's the joke.

What an absurd statement.

By the way, do you think you could _possibly_ post links rather than
quoting an entire article?

Old February 18th 06, 01:04 AM

Mindlessly threw it away? Barely hooking a gate so subtly they had to catch
it on the replay?
This writer is not only an asshole, he's a transparent liar. He belongs in
this ********, thanks for putting him in such company.

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm
from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com
oups.com...

Old February 18th 06, 02:00 AM

Jesus H Christ. what is wrong with these people? The US has, finally, a
really formidable world champion racer, and they are kicking him to death!
What a pack of gibbering rabid morons.

Or is it because he doesn't espouse that charming attitude invented he
"Second is First Loser".

--
ant

Old February 18th 06, 02:22 AM

"ant" wrote in message
Jesus H Christ. what is wrong with these people? The US has, finally, a
really formidable world champion racer, and they are kicking him to death!
What a pack of gibbering rabid morons.

Geez, same thing I thought about Kerrison and her buddies when they lied to
the cops and a judge, committing perjury and felonies just to shut me up.
Not to mention this sick psychopath specializes in organizing campaigns of
lies and gross defamations.
I never cease to be amazed at the hypocrisy of this bitch.

Or is it because he doesn't espouse that charming attitude invented he
"Second is First Loser".

We invented that attitude? Typical anti-american bull**** from a
pathological liar. Why do we allow this criminal into the county?
One thing for sure. When I raced her at Whistler, she was First Loser.
Twice.

Old February 18th 06, 05:37 AM

In article sPsJf.4310$qa2.523@trndny07,
Mary Malmros wrote:

By the way, do you think you could _possibly_ post links rather than
quoting an entire article?

From AOL? Running a piece of **** Windows box? Do you think she cut and
pasted the article? Or do you think she meticulously retyped the entire
thing verbatim?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 18th 06, 08:50 AM

Two Buddha wrote:
"ant" wrote in message

Jesus H Christ. what is wrong with these people? The US has, finally, a
really formidable world champion racer, and they are kicking him to death!
What a pack of gibbering rabid morons.

Geez, same thing I thought about Kerrison and her buddies when they lied to
the cops and a judge, committing perjury and felonies just to shut me up.

You're now a really formidable world champion racer ? Whoda thunk it.

Shouldn't you be preparing for your event at Sestriere ? What country
are you representing ?

Bode Miller Article in Chicago Sun Times [email protected] Alpine Skiing 19 February 17th 06 05:46 AM
"I had a better life when I was a nobody" - Bode Miller Interview [email protected] Alpine Skiing 1 February 16th 06 08:27 PM
Bode Miller Apology Bryan Alpine Skiing (moderated) 18 January 16th 06 04:48 PM
Bode Miller Apology Walt Alpine Skiing 0 January 12th 06 08:29 PM
Bode Miller wins career-first World Cup downhill koikeeper Alpine Skiing 1 November 28th 04 02:17 AM