Utah Beer

Old October 31st 05, 12:20 PM
Jeff

Default Utah Beer

It's my understanding that Utah bars and grocery stores may not sell
beer stronger than 3.2 percent alcohol. By that standard, most domestic
swill won't even make the cut. Buttwiper and Coors are both above 4.5
percent. I assume both brands are available in Utah bars and I doubt
either company brews batches specifically for that state. If these
assumptions are true and bars are compliant, then somebody is diluting
the product before it hits the glass. [shudders]

Both Coors and Bud include brewing adjuncts, i.e., rice. Any beer worth
its salt is brewed strictly from barley malt and/or wheat. Without
adjuncts, the alcohol content is even higher. Pete's Wicked Ale is 5.6.
Most Sam Adams products are around 5%.

Which leads me to my question: is it possible to get a descent beer in
the Utah ski areas? We'll be in Snowbird at the beginning of December
and I like a good, fresh beer after skiing. I'm not looking for night
life or anything like that. I'd just like some good beer and some
descent food when I get off the slopes Is that possible? This subject
arose not long ago, but it was steered towards SLC nightlife. I have no
desire to go party after skiing, but neither do I desired a
watered-down Buttwiper. Any thoughts?

source: http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm

Old October 31st 05, 03:36 PM
bdubya

On 31 Oct 2005 05:20:58 -0800, "Jeff" wrote:

[...]

Find a state-owned liquor store; they carry real beer. Be sure to
plan ahead (i.e. check their hours and stock the fridge early so
you're not caught beerless at the end of the day). There's a
substantial markup, but relative to the cost of a ski trip, it's a
drop in the bucket (a very important drop, at that).

bw
Old October 31st 05, 04:29 PM
lal_truckee

bdubya wrote:

Find a state-owned liquor store; they carry real beer. Be sure to
plan ahead (i.e. check their hours and stock the fridge early so
you're not caught beerless at the end of the day). There's a
substantial markup, but relative to the cost of a ski trip, it's a
drop in the bucket (a very important drop, at that).

Or just put a couple of cases of good beer in the truck (along with a
case of assorted wine) for each planned week of your road trip.

Then toss in two-three pairs of skis each, your boots (and your spare
boots - nothing worse than breaking a boot on a road trip, except maybe
Youtaw beer) and hit the road.
Old October 31st 05, 04:42 PM
Walt

bdubya wrote:
On 31 Oct 2005 05:20:58 -0800, "Jeff" wrote:

Find a state-owned liquor store; they carry real beer. Be sure to
plan ahead (i.e. check their hours and stock the fridge early so
you're not caught beerless at the end of the day). There's a
substantial markup, but relative to the cost of a ski trip, it's a
drop in the bucket (a very important drop, at that).

Well well. Glad to see the season sufficiently underway that we're on
to talking about the *important* stuff.

It's my understanding that Utah bars and grocery stores may not sell
beer stronger than 3.2 percent alcohol.

That's true of the grocery stores. Not quite true of the bars, although
you're likely to find low alcohol brew if you're not careful. Anything
that comes on draft is low octane, but the bottles *may* be the real thing.

Even if you do wind up drinking low octane local microbrews or imports,
it'll still taste good. Remember what they say about hot dogs tasting
better at the ballpark? Well, even lightweight beer tastes good in the
Wasatch.

By that standard, most domestic
swill won't even make the cut. Buttwiper and Coors are both above 4.5
percent.

5% by volume. 4% by weight.
Data available he http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

I assume both brands are available in Utah bars and I doubt
either company brews batches specifically for that state. If these
assumptions are true and bars are compliant, then somebody is diluting
the product before it hits the glass. [shudders]

Utah is a big state, and even if the per capita consumption of beer is
on the low side it's worth it for the major brewers to provide product
that meets local laws. IOW, Bud, Coors, Miller, even Heiniken are
readily available in low-octane formulations. Any local brewery will
make conforming batches as well.

Both Coors and Bud include brewing adjuncts, i.e., rice. Any beer worth
its salt is brewed strictly from barley malt and/or wheat. Without
adjuncts, the alcohol content is even higher.

Adjuncts do not cause the beer to be either high or low in alcohol
content. You can make high alcohol content brew with adjuncts (ever
had a Mickeys Malt Liquor?) or a low alcohol brew with "pure"
ingredients. Adjuncts affect taste primarily, and can cause digestion
issues for some people (e.g. beer farts the next day). I agree that
they're best avoided, but...

Pete's Wicked Ale is 5.6.
Most Sam Adams products are around 5%.

Miller High Life is 5.5% What's your point?

Which leads me to my question: is it possible to get a descent beer in
the Utah ski areas?

Yes. There are mid-mountain restaurants at both Alta and Solitude. You
can stop in the middle of your descent for a quick one.

//Walt
//
//RSA Professor Emeritus of Beerology
Old October 31st 05, 04:51 PM
klaus

Walt wrote:

On 31 Oct 2005 05:20:58 -0800, "Jeff" wrote:
Which leads me to my question: is it possible to get a descent beer in
the Utah ski areas?

Yes. There are mid-mountain restaurants at both Alta and Solitude. You
can stop in the middle of your descent for a quick one.

I prefer ascent beers.

-klaus

Old October 31st 05, 05:57 PM
Sam Seiber

Jeff wrote:

It's my understanding that Utah bars and grocery stores may not sell
beer stronger than 3.2 percent alcohol. By that standard, most domestic
swill won't even make the cut. Buttwiper and Coors are both above 4.5
percent.

If use the same unit of measure, weight, Bud & Coors are 4.0 (5.0 by
volume). 3.2 by weight is 4.0 by volume. Don't mix your measures!

Sam "Used to brew my own brew" Seiber
Old October 31st 05, 06:02 PM
Jeff

Walt wrote:

Adjuncts do not cause the beer to be either high or low in alcohol
content. You can make high alcohol content brew with adjuncts (ever
had a Mickeys Malt Liquor?) or a low alcohol brew with "pure"
ingredients. Adjuncts affect taste primarily, and can cause digestion
issues for some people (e.g. beer farts the next day). I agree that
they're best avoided, but...

This is true. I should have been more specific. It depends on the
adjuct. I believe Mickey's is fortified with sugar which gives it its
kick. (I've never had it and I can only imagine how terrible it must
be...) My preference is for beers that are decoction mashed exclusively
from barley/wheat malts. That will yield more alcohol than infusion
mashed barley malt and rice any day of the week, Mister.

Which leads me to my question: is it possible to get a descent beer in
the Utah ski areas?

Yes. There are mid-mountain restaurants at both Alta and Solitude. You
can stop in the middle of your descent for a quick one.

LOL! I might have to skies [sic] down to it.

Old October 31st 05, 07:35 PM
Mary Malmros

Walt wrote:

bdubya wrote:

On 31 Oct 2005 05:20:58 -0800, "Jeff" wrote:

Find a state-owned liquor store; they carry real beer. Be sure to
plan ahead (i.e. check their hours and stock the fridge early so
you're not caught beerless at the end of the day). There's a
substantial markup, but relative to the cost of a ski trip, it's a
drop in the bucket (a very important drop, at that).

Well well. Glad to see the season sufficiently underway that we're on
to talking about the *important* stuff.

Recommendation to go with that beer: Red Dragon, a Welsh cheddar blended
with brown ale and whole-grain mustard.

Old October 31st 05, 07:58 PM
Walt

Mary Malmros wrote:
Walt wrote:
bdubya wrote:
On 31 Oct 2005 05:20:58 -0800, "Jeff" wrote:

Find a state-owned liquor store; they carry real beer.

Well well. Glad to see the season sufficiently underway that we're on
to talking about the *important* stuff.

Recommendation to go with that beer: Red Dragon, a Welsh cheddar blended
with brown ale and whole-grain mustard.

Welsh cheddar, eh? Scottish and Irish cheddar are easy to come by, as
is sevaral varieties of English cheddar. But I've never seen Welsh
cheddar. I'll have to mosy on down to the fancy cheese shop and see if
they've got any...

Many years ago I remember seeing a bottle of Welsh Whisky at the liquor
store, but I didn't buy it. I've been eager to sample it since then,
but I haven't been able to find it again.

//Walt

Old October 31st 05, 08:39 PM
Mary Malmros

Walt wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Walt wrote:

bdubya wrote:

On 31 Oct 2005 05:20:58 -0800, "Jeff" wrote:

Find a state-owned liquor store; they carry real beer.

Well well. Glad to see the season sufficiently underway that we're
on to talking about the *important* stuff.

Recommendation to go with that beer: Red Dragon, a Welsh cheddar
blended with brown ale and whole-grain mustard.

Welsh cheddar, eh? Scottish and Irish cheddar are easy to come by, as
is sevaral varieties of English cheddar. But I've never seen Welsh
cheddar. I'll have to mosy on down to the fancy cheese shop and see if
they've got any...

Trust me. It's one of the best cheeses you can get for that wonderful
snow and cheese and beer experience.

Mount Snow opens November 19th, if the snow gods be good to us...and I
don't have to work until two weeks later!!!