Downhill Racer

Old February 17th 06, 12:21 PM

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
Mary Malmros wrote:

Lighten up. Go ski. It snowed didn't it. Jesus.

That's what I was doing today. What about you?

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/?wfo=slc Check out the Western US
16km animation. Southern Storm track. I'm in Salt Lake at the mouth
of Little Cottonwood. The weekend after this we'll be in Moab. Then
back to the Hole. Gov't Ski Team on the loose...

Ah, I'm envious. We're in make-do mode here, but we _are_ making do.
Well, enjoy it -- somebody ought to get some use out of it!

Old February 17th 06, 06:34 PM

On 2006-02-17, Jeff Davis penned:

Who knows. How about this cold snap?

Pretty chilly. At least I'm driving a loaner Outback from the
dealership that has heated seats ... and an indicator so that I always
know how cold it is outside. Brr!

Still planning to go skiing Saturday and Monday. Just gotta bundle
up.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 17th 06, 08:34 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck, that you know very little about ski racing, the World Cup, or
Bode Miller's record is apparent.

An assumption on your part, and an incorrect one at that.

So what was that about the downhill being Bode's "best chance" for a
medal?

Bode's strength is speed skiing, not technical. He's said that himself.

Got a cite for that? Because that's sure not his history. I cited the
WC and Worlds numbers for you. And, let's remember, he's a New England
boy. At CVA they have what's called "Speed Week", when they train speed
events -- that should give you an idea of the balance of speed to
technical in ihs background.

Last season on OLN. It wasn't printed so I doubt I could Google it. It
was either during ace coverage or in the special they did on him. I
can't remember which. His results ought to be enough proof though. Look
at every combined he's skied. He's way behind after the slalom and makes
up for it in the DH. We've beaten this argument to death. Time to put an
end to it.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old February 17th 06, 11:16 PM

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck, that you know very little about ski racing, the World Cup, or
Bode Miller's record is apparent.

An assumption on your part, and an incorrect one at that.

So what was that about the downhill being Bode's "best chance" for a
medal?

Bode's strength is speed skiing, not technical. He's said that himself.

Got a cite for that? Because that's sure not his history. I cited the
WC and Worlds numbers for you. And, let's remember, he's a New England
boy. At CVA they have what's called "Speed Week", when they train speed
events -- that should give you an idea of the balance of speed to
technical in ihs background.

Last season on OLN. It wasn't printed so I doubt I could Google it. It
was either during ace coverage or in the special they did on him. I
can't remember which. His results ought to be enough proof though.

Right, but...I showed you his results. He has more career wins in tech
events than in speed events -- far more.

Look
at every combined he's skied. He's way behind after the slalom and makes
up for it in the DH.

The combined doesn't work like that. The DH is _always_ run first --
and in every combined that I can recall _except_ for this one at the
Torino Olympics, he has been _trailing_ after the DH run and made it up
in the slalom. Sometimes he has made up huge deficits -- take a look at
the '03 Words, or the '02 Olympics (didn't get the win that time, but
came within a few hundredths).

We've beaten this argument to death. Time to put an
end to it.

I thought the facts would do that, and I think -- if you want to talk
record -- the facts are on my side.

Old February 18th 06, 12:36 AM

Jeff Davis wrote:

Jump in somebody elses ****.

I'm sorry, I think you just broke my irony meter.

You're talking beyond your experience. I'm
calling you on it. Live with it. And get off the internet and get some
turns. Jesus.

Why do you keep telling me to go skiing? What were YOU doing today?

Old February 18th 06, 06:46 AM

In article ,
Sven Golly wrote:
(Jeff Davis) wrote in
:
Catch the next storm cycle. The snow pack is fairly homogenous and
stable.

So it's not sucrosic?

I'm sure you could find sucrosic snow at ground level on North aspects
left over from October. It's irrelevant. Your pressure bubble is
about a meter.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 22nd 06, 08:38 PM

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Still planning to go skiing Saturday and Monday. Just gotta bundle
up.

Well, the weekend is over. I went up to Loveland Saturday. A bit
strange to
go to Loveland to warm up (from Denvers burrrr cold temps). I was never
cold
Saturday, well until I returned home to Denver. Traffic was nice and
mellow
on I-70 both ways. Sweet Day!

Sam "Breck, Thursday, be thereeeeee" Seiber

Old February 22nd 06, 09:32 PM

On 2006-02-22, Sam Seiber penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Still planning to go skiing Saturday and Monday. Just gotta bundle
up.

Well, the weekend is over. I went up to Loveland Saturday. A bit
strange to go to Loveland to warm up (from Denvers burrrr cold
temps). I was never cold Saturday, well until I returned home to
Denver. Traffic was nice and mellow on I-70 both ways. Sweet Day!

I went to A Basin on Saturday; had a great time. I thought it would
be cold, but it was actually beautiful. Thighs were toasted by noon
or 1 (I forget). The weather was beautiful, but without thighs it is
hard to ski ...

I was planning to ski Monday, but then ... I ended up slipping in the
shower (what am I, 85?) and bruising my right foot pretty badly. I
could have skied with some pain, but I decided to take that, along
with the fact that my friend cancelled and my husband couldn't go, as
an omen and stayed home. I hear it was, again, beautiful =/

This weekend, I'll be cavorting with friends from out of town at Vail
(hey, I didn't choose their vacation spot). And the weekend after
that, I'm heading to Steamboat for a few days.

God, I love living near big mountain skiing!

Sam "Breck, Thursday, be thereeeeee" Seiber

What's going on Thursday? I already know I can't make it =/

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 22nd 06, 11:52 PM

On 2006-02-22, Sam Seiber penned:

Hey, how were the lift lines? Loveland doesn't get any once they
get all the chairs running. Saturday, I think 6 people was my big
line of the day. It is a real kick to think about leaving Denver to
go to Loveland to WARM up. I guess Friday, it was something like 12
at Loveland, and -2 in Georgetown. Can you say INVERSION?

Well, we spent more time on the Pali lift than we usually do, and the
Pali lift is always more crowded than the mid-mountain lifts. I'd say
about typical for the Basin; the mid-mountain lifts are ski in, sit
down.

I'm intrigued by Loveland, but the Colorado Pass has me enslaved.
It's just so cheap ...

What's going on Thursday? I already know I can't make it =/

Well, I am NOT going to work. I am going to Breckenridge.

Ahh. Have fun!

--
monique
Longmont, CO