Orelle Hotel

Old October 26th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Default Orelle Hotel

I'm pretty sure I've asked this ? before, but can't find it with google
gropes, so sorry for asking again if I did:

What is the best hotel to stay at in the Maurienne valley and skiing
over to Val Thorens via the Orelle link ?

Any ideas how long the lift takes to get to VT ?

TIA Roger
Old October 26th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:29:01 +0100, BrritSki
wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've asked this ? before, but can't find it with google
gropes, so sorry for asking again if I did:

What is the best hotel to stay at in the Maurienne valley and skiing
over to Val Thorens via the Orelle link ?

No idea on that, I'm afraid. The only time I started from that side I
was staying in Valloire, which is a bus ride away.

Any ideas how long the lift takes to get to VT ?

It's about a ten minute ride up, IIRC, then another five on a chair
lift. Then it's just a question of how fast you ski! Probably five
minutes for a WC downhiller, 25 or so for a low intermediate.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old October 27th 09, 09:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've asked this ? before, but can't find it with google
gropes, so sorry for asking again if I did:

What is the best hotel to stay at in the Maurienne valley and skiing
over to Val Thorens via the Orelle link ?

No idea on that, I'm afraid. The only time I started from that side I
was staying in Valloire, which is a bus ride away.

This is really annoying - I'm sure someone recommended a hotel and I
looked it up (thinks - check bookmarks on laptop), but maybe I dreamed
it as I was equally sure that it was you that told me !

Any ideas how long the lift takes to get to VT ?

It's about a ten minute ride up, IIRC, then another five on a chair
lift. Then it's just a question of how fast you ski! Probably five
minutes for a WC downhiller, 25 or so for a low intermediate.

That's pretty quick on the 2 lifts and then you start skiing which is
the important thing even if it takes a while to get into VT proper. I
just wanted to avoid a situation like the 30 minute gondola ride from
Lesbian-Brides to Meribel

Thanks again for the advice.
Old October 27th 09, 09:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've asked this ? before, but can't find it with google
gropes, so sorry for asking again if I did:

What is the best hotel to stay at in the Maurienne valley and skiing
over to Val Thorens via the Orelle link ?

No idea on that, I'm afraid. The only time I started from that side I
was staying in Valloire, which is a bus ride away.

Any ideas how long the lift takes to get to VT ?

It's about a ten minute ride up, IIRC, then another five on a chair
lift. Then it's just a question of how fast you ski! Probably five
minutes for a WC downhiller, 25 or so for a low intermediate.

We went there a few years ago in January, but stayed in Val Cenis and drove
to Orelle for a couple of days skiing in VT. There didn't seem to be much in
the way of amenities in Orelle - I'm not sure I'd consider staying there if
it's après ski you're after. Perhaps stay in Modane and take the short drive
every day. When we were there the snow was quite thin and there was only one
option of returning from VT. It was a little tricky and would have probably
been closed if there had been any alternative. Also one day that week they
closed the link because of high winds. However the good news is that there
are several other ski stations along the valley which can be fun for 1 or 2
days. Maybe base yourself at one of those? I'm pretty sure ( well it was the
case when we were there) that most of the ski passes for the local stations
have discounts for other stations and a free day at VT.

HTH

--
Paul S

Old October 27th 09, 11:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Oct 26, 4:29*pm, BrritSki wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've asked this ? before, but can't find it with google
gropes, so sorry for asking again if I did:

What is the best hotel to stay at in the Maurienne valley and skiing
over to Val Thorens via the Orelle link ?

Any ideas how long the lift takes to get to VT ?

TIA * Roger

There is actually an apartment residence very close to the Orelle lift
see http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/orelle.htm

Otherwise there are nice little hotels in various places within 1/2
hour drive. Aussois (Les Mottets), St Michel de Maurienne (Le Savoy -
very nice restaurant), Valloire (Grand Hotel du Galibier)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk

Old October 27th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've asked this ? before, but can't find it with google
gropes, so sorry for asking again if I did:

What is the best hotel to stay at in the Maurienne valley and skiing
over to Val Thorens via the Orelle link ?

No idea on that, I'm afraid. The only time I started from that side I
was staying in Valloire, which is a bus ride away.

Any ideas how long the lift takes to get to VT ?

It's about a ten minute ride up, IIRC, then another five on a chair
lift. Then it's just a question of how fast you ski! Probably five
minutes for a WC downhiller, 25 or so for a low intermediate.

We went there a few years ago in January, but stayed in Val Cenis and
drove to Orelle for a couple of days skiing in VT. There didn't seem to
be much in the way of amenities in Orelle - I'm not sure I'd consider
staying there if it's après ski you're after.

Our idea of apres-ski these days is a bath and a nap, dinner then bed

Perhaps stay in Modane and
take the short drive every day. When we were there the snow was quite
thin and there was only one option of returning from VT. It was a little
tricky and would have probably been closed if there had been any
alternative.

I assumed you got the lift back...
Old October 27th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Excess wrote:
On Oct 26, 4:29 pm, BrritSki wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've asked this ? before, but can't find it with google
gropes, so sorry for asking again if I did:

What is the best hotel to stay at in the Maurienne valley and skiing
over to Val Thorens via the Orelle link ?

Any ideas how long the lift takes to get to VT ?

TIA Roger

There is actually an apartment residence very close to the Orelle lift
see http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/orelle.htm

Otherwise there are nice little hotels in various places within 1/2
hour drive. Aussois (Les Mottets), St Michel de Maurienne (Le Savoy -
very nice restaurant), Valloire (Grand Hotel du Galibier)

ISTR that someone mentioned a nice hotel in St. Jean du Maurienne...
Old October 27th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"BrritSki" wrote in message
Paul S wrote:

....snipsy...

We went there a few years ago in January, but stayed in Val Cenis and
drove to Orelle for a couple of days skiing in VT. There didn't seem to
be much in the way of amenities in Orelle - I'm not sure I'd consider
staying there if it's après ski you're after.

Our idea of apres-ski these days is a bath and a nap, dinner then bed

Perhaps stay in Modane and
take the short drive every day. When we were there the snow was quite
thin and there was only one option of returning from VT. It was a little
tricky and would have probably been closed if there had been any
alternative.

I assumed you got the lift back...

Yeah, wasn't closed that day, however I did have to nurse a third week skier
down a rather icy and steep red to the top of the Orelle gondola.

I did hear later from our host that it isn't unknown for the link lifts from
VT to shut, sometimes during the day, as they're a bit exposed on the ridge
line between the 2 valleys (though I don't think it is particularly common
either)

Of course if the conditions are good it won't be an issue, but a bit like VT
in general, bad weather is bad news - though unlike VT you do have some
easily accessed alternative stations in the same valley.

--

Paul S

Old October 28th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_4_]

wrote:

It's about a ten minute ride up, IIRC, then another five on a chair
lift. Then it's just a question of how fast you ski! Probably five
minutes for a WC downhiller, 25 or so for a low intermediate.

At least the chair (Rosael) part is a brand new lift so should be a little
quicker than it was before.
Old October 28th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Brian Mc

Ian Blake wrote:
:
: It's about a ten minute ride up, IIRC, then another five on a chair
: lift. Then it's just a question of how fast you ski! Probably five
: minutes for a WC downhiller, 25 or so for a low intermediate.

: At least the chair (Rosael) part is a brand new lift so should be a little
: quicker than it was before.

The restaurant at the bottom of the chair/top of the Orelle bubble is, AFAIR,
a "Refuge" and has some accomodation. That would be very handy for the lifts
if it operates in winter.