Swix HF10 never

Old March 19th 04, 10:56 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Swix HF10 never

I was reading the waxing recommendations in the Skipost newsletter,
which is put out by the Subaru Factory Team sponsored by Swix and it
seems they never recommend HF10. In the latest issue, they're talking
about a race with start temp at 32F and a high in the 40s and they
recommend LF8 (for economy) or HF8 covered with pure flourocardon. Is
there no point to HF10 since in such warm conditions for a race pure
flouros will be used anyway?

JT
Old March 19th 04, 11:07 PM
32 degrees

I used HF 10 in the very last Red Earth Loppet (1995? '96?) in Marquette...
34 degrees and had been warm all night... outglided cera F - I had rockets.
People were walking away from me on the uphills and I'd glide right back to
them on the downs... yeeeeeeee haaaaaaa

JK

Old March 20th 04, 02:40 AM
TahoeXCSkier

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote in message . ..
I was reading the waxing recommendations in the Skipost newsletter,
which is put out by the Subaru Factory Team sponsored by Swix and it
seems they never recommend HF10. In the latest issue, they're talking
about a race with start temp at 32F and a high in the 40s and they
recommend LF8 (for economy) or HF8 covered with pure flourocardon. Is
there no point to HF10 since in such warm conditions for a race pure
flouros will be used anyway?

JT

I also noticed that. I can only guess that since early in the morning
(the race starts at 8:00 a.m.) snow will be frozen and snow
temperatures would fall into colder category then HF10.
It may also be because HF10 is less likely to survive 50km with frozen
snow in the beginning of the race.
Old March 20th 04, 02:47 AM
32 degrees

You are right... I think... softer wax = less durability ... and colder in
the morning usually means some icing... I bet Swix recommends colder wax
for durability reasons. .... So, I was faster in the glide test before the
race but it would be interesting to see how my skis compared to Cera F at
40km.... I can't remember really, that was a long time ago, but I dont
remember any significant changes in glide over the course of the race... ( I
sure did bonk in the last 3km, but that's just a bonk !)

JK

What year was the last Red Earth Loppet anyway? Anyone remember?

"TahoeXCSkier" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old March 21st 04, 04:15 AM
Mark

Let me put some first-hand experience to this subject...

There are TWO reasons to go with HF 8 as opposed to HF 10 as an
underlayer for Cera for the Gold Rush. 1) DIRT! 2) durability

Because we've had such an incredible warm spell, and it hasn't even
hinted at any new snow since the very beginning of March, the snow
conditions for the Gold Rush on Sunday are quite dirty. The thing that
will slow our skis down the MOST will be dirt accumulation (pine sap,
pollutant, etc.) and not the warmth of the snow. The theory is that HF
8, being a harder wax, will accumulate less dirt on the skis, and the
actual glide will be achieved through the use of Cera and structure.
Even structure is an issue, as the theory that a finer grind structure
and cross hatch stone grind will attract more dirt, so the call is for
a more linear grind of wider proportions. IF the weather was the same,
but we were on clean, newer snow, there's no doubt we'd be on
HF10/Cera10 with an aggressive stone grind structure, with a rill over
the top of it. Durability is certainly an issue, being that the first
lap will be in harder, icier conditions, but the main reason for going
harder with the underlying wax is dirt repellency. The reason you
always use HF under pure fluoro is that the pure fluoro must have
fluoro molecules under it to bond. The pure fluoro will not bond well
to hydrocarbon based waxes or to a bare base.

But for tomorrow, SUNSCREEN will be the critical element of the day.
It will be slow, sloppy and dirty by the third lap, and the strongest
will survive. That's why we race, anyway, right?

Mark (wondering why Glenn Jobe had no trouble with the wax at the
Norwegian Birkie, but Sknyski iced up like crazy. I guess experience
is the key).

Old March 21st 04, 05:11 PM
Tim Dudley

Here's what Andy Gerlach at the Subaru Factory Team was recommending for the
Gold Rush:

Sunday March 21 Gold: 50 km. • Silver: 30 km. • Bronze: 15 km. • Junior: 6
km.

Weather: It has been very warm all week. Saturday Temperatures are expected
to reach the 60’s with lows Saturday night of 25. Sunday temperatures at
race time will be near 32 and reach the 40’s by race completion.

Subaru Factory Team: California Gold Rush : SWIX glide Recommendation
For all levels, start by ironing in one layer SWIX BP88 Base Prep. Scrape
and brush using a fine or medium SWIX bronze brush.

For good skis: Iron in one layer of SWIX LF8. Scrape and brush with a fine
or medium SWIX bronze brush. Polish with a SWIX Blue polish brush.
For great skis: Iron in one layer of SWIX LF8. Scrape and brush with a SWIX
fine bronze brush. Next, iron in one layer of SWIX HF8. Scrape and brush
with a SWIX fine or medium bronze brush. Polish with a SWIX Blue polish
brush.

IF YOU WANT SKIS AS FAST AS THE WINNERS:
Iron in one layer of SWIX LF8, scrape and brush with a SWIX fine or medium
bronze brush.
Next, iron in one layer of SWIXHF8. Scrape and brush with the SWIX fine or
medium bronze brush again.
As a final layer, iron in SWIX CERA FC10 or TURBO FC2 SOLID or Liquid FC8
(see the separate sheet for how to apply these.) Finally brush with the Swix
Blue Polish Brush(T160 or T184).
2mm rill for structu

Old March 21st 04, 05:55 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:11:09 -0500, Tim Dudley
wrote:

Here's what Andy Gerlach at the Subaru Factory Team was recommending for the
Gold Rush:

Uh, yeah, that's what prompted me to ask the original question. See
text below which you included:

JT

Old March 22nd 04, 03:22 AM
TahoeXCSkier

I would disagree. If dirt was the priority, SWIX makes BD line of HF
waxes which would work better than HF8 (BD contains graphite and
possibly molybdenum). I think they just tried to cover a wider range
of temperatures because of the early start of this race. By the way,
using HF8 this morning was a mistake. This morning it was 34-36
degrees at around 8:00 a.m. as opposed to previous mornings (was 28-32
and icy).

Toko HF Moly as an underlayer would've worked so much better. ...

BTW, skiing at Royal Gorge yesterday I was actually surprised how
little dirt they had considering this unusual weather. I expected it
to be much worse. (it was still pretty dirty, of course ))

Old March 22nd 04, 04:44 PM
Mark

You can disagree, but here are two factors which back up my statement:
1) I had great skis yesterday during the Gold Rush (even during the
3rd lap), and one of my better Gold Rush results, using a combination
of HF8 and HFBD8 as an underlayer for CERA 8 mixed with some CERA 10.
Calling the use of HF8 a "mistake" is ludicrous. It's usually better
to mix BD with straight HF for the best results. Toko Moly as an
underlayer is also an excellent choice as well, but that's all it is -
an underlayer for the HF line of either Toko or Swix (or any other
high fluoro of choice). You still need the HF layer to bond well to
the pure fluoro.
2) The Subaru team stays in my home before the Gold Rush and Great
Race, so I get to discuss wax preparation with them. Dirt was an
issue, and was a large factor in the wax decision.

Even though it was warm in the morning, the first lap of the race was
pretty fast and icy. I have to ask if you skied the race, because
saying that using HF8 was a mistake makes me think that you weren't
out there at 8 am. And yes, they did an excellent job of snow
preparation by blading off a bit of the top of the course so it was a
bit cleaner than expected. The course really skied well, even into the
2 1/2 hour mark.

Mark

(Mark) wrote in message om...
[...]

Broken Swix Iron Fred Kueffer Nordic Skiing 6 February 23rd 04 05:45 PM
Swix baseprep Niklas Nordic Skiing 2 January 21st 04 04:50 PM
"energy straps" for Swix SR 94 straps Eddie Luban Nordic Skiing 1 December 10th 03 06:24 AM
F/S Swix Alu Lite Roller Skiing Poles 2 pairs $50.00 shipped David F Nordic Skiing 0 October 29th 03 07:10 PM
FS: Swix Roller Ski Poles David F Nordic Skiing 0 October 18th 03 07:59 PM