Loosening straps - how to deal with it?

Old November 17th 05, 08:10 PM

Default Loosening straps - how to deal with it?

Jay's question about poles brings up a related topic about straps. One
of those annoying and costly things about poles is straps coming loose
or riding up and needing more or less frequent adjustment. I've found
all wrap around straps need readjustment after 10 or 15 minutes, and
then periodically after that. I've tried different Swix, Rex, Toko 232,
Infinity and Jenex. Some straps, e.g. some Infinity, even ride up on
the hand and start tugging the glove off, depending on glove materials.
On WC videos, I've noticed some racers (e.g., Teichmann) seem to use an
extra wrap to hold the gloves down. It seems that straps that came down
onto the wrist would hold against the wrist bone and be more stable, but
maybe the tradeoff would be loss of circulation. I'd be interested in
hearing how others that have problems have dealt with this.

Gene
Old November 17th 05, 08:26 PM

I've never had a problem with the newer swix straps (can't remember the
models, I think they begin with "sr"), the ones that wrap around the
hand and velco on, etc.

But the tradional straps (which I think are the ones that you are
referring to) have a habit of riding up the hand. In 30+ years of
skiing I haven't found a way to defeat this, but after a while you
develop some little wrist flicks and other quirks in your stride that
"re seat" the strap. I'd be interested in hearing what other people
have done....

bt

Old November 17th 05, 11:09 PM

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

but maybe the tradeoff would be loss of circulation.

My wife and I frequently ski w/ another couple and both women
experience cold hands from pole straps (one uses Exel, other uses Swix
poles). After taking the poles off, their hands warm up quickly, most
likely from increased blood flow. My wife solves it by using those
little heat packs in her Toko mittens.

- Bob

Old November 17th 05, 11:42 PM

The only straps that I remember coming loose are the previous
generation Swix grips, and then only with the SR94 straps. I still use
them on my running poles with traditional single straps and they have
never come loose. The new generations I've never had loosen. The
Infinitys loosen only if you don't seat the wedge really well.
Infinity suggests using a pair of channel-lock pliers to seat it well,
and had a picture of how to do it someplace in their literature or
website. The Toko 232 straps don't really loosen, but do tend to ride
up on my hand. The straps sewn onto the gloves don't ride up and are
my favorites, but they're no longer available.

Randy

Old November 18th 05, 12:20 AM

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
[...]

I have to say my personal experience with both Excel (about 6 year old
version) and Toko (current model) straps is unsatisfactory - they are
hard to adjust properly for my wrist/hand without either slipping badly
or cutting off circulation. I have even tried two different sizes of
the Toko strap.

I am very pleased with the current model Swix straps and plan to bite
the bullet and change my Toko poles to Swix grips and straps.

Old November 18th 05, 02:27 AM

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
[...]

A local high school coach showed our club a method using a rubber band
to just lightly keep the strap over the glove in place. I can't describe
it, but seems like many configurations would work.
gr
Old November 18th 05, 07:22 AM

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm speaking both
to the slight loosening of wrap-around straps after some use, much like
my Salomon boots seem to loosen a bit during the first 15 minutes, and
to the strap sliding up the glove (or pulling both up together), which
seems a result of loosening. Perhaps some of this is a natural
stretching of material during use and there's no way to avoid it (I
doubt whether my hands and feet are shrinking from use). About the
Infinity straps, a properly seated wedge does not stop what I'm
describing. In fact, despite Zaveral's claim that all their straps are
the same design, different of them work better or worse depending on the
material and suppleness (I've told them this from the beginning and
showed them at the Birkie). The Fischer Pro Strap is the most
consistent I've come across, tho it's expensive, comes in different
sizes and also needs at least one adjustment after awhile. The Rex
accessory strap (not the short one that comes with the poles) is next
best and would be my favorite because of its one-size-fits-all length,
except that its narrower width causes me wrist problems over time.

Gene