180s

Old February 5th 04, 09:12 AM
Switters

Default 180s

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:32:36 GMT, "Tom" allegedly wrote:

By the way, do you have any tips for 360s ??
backside i don't turn enough (most of the time i
land between 270 and 360) and frontside I keep
on turning after landing (i guess that the trick is
as for bs180 to avoid looking down just after landing).

I find backside 360s a lot easier, but maybe because I've been doing them
longer. If you're not turning enough, then you need to jump bigger or
spin faster... sounds obvious but a lot of people going for a 360 tend to
slow as they hit the jump, and where they would go big on a straight air,
then to go a lot smaller on the 3 and hence don't make it. I still make
this mistake often and get a face full. You can use a bit of counter
rotation as you're spotting the landing on the last 180.

Frontside I find harder, and am still really getting to grips with them.
With the last 180 being on the blind side, you can't use counter rotation,
so the jump and spin have to be timed right to make it all come together.
It's just practice practice practice.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old February 5th 04, 05:22 PM
Rider Josh

Switters wrote in message . ..
[...]

The key to either 360 is to lead with your head, look over your
shoulder in the direction of your spin just as you are leaving the lip
of the jump and try to visually spot your landing.

I have always found BS to be less scary, but FS to be more forgiving
of being slightly off balance or off axis.

For the record I can do both, but neither well.
Old February 6th 04, 01:44 AM
Arvin Chang

"Tom" wrote in message ...
"Arvin Chang" a écrit dans le message de
om...

Thanks... really helpfull
However, I think I'm quite confortable doing backside 180s
but i don't do this "counter rotation" stuff.
What i do is just be slighly on the toe side just before
jumping, and then i will turn slowly in the air (the visual
feedback is the ground above me) and then, as you said
landing blind in order not to keep on turning after landing.

Counter-rotate is maybe needed for "late 180s" ??

How large a jump are you doing? It is easy to judge for a relatively
small jump, but once you go over 20-25 feet... well at least for me, I
found it difficult to rotate slow enough over that long distance. This
makes it easier, in addition to letting you do a "late 180" which
looks nice too. It's just a style, if you can do a nice slow 180
that's cool too.

By the way, do you have any tips for 360s ??
backside i don't turn enough (most of the time i
land between 270 and 360) and frontside I keep
on turning after landing (i guess that the trick is
as for bs180 to avoid looking down just after landing).

Yes exactly, with the backside you need to keep your shoulders and
head turning in the air and spot the landing early so you legs have
time to follow. For a frontside, you want to avoid looking down the
hill too much (to turn your head/shoudlers too hard) because you will
have a tendency continue to rotate.

Just my perspective on things...

--Arvin