Wide-board or NO?

Old November 20th 03, 07:44 PM
Mate

Default Wide-board or NO?

Hi there
Im not experienced snowboarder (1 seasons behind)...as U will see
below but I have quite big feet (45/12US/11UK) - That is no my fault
Should I buy a "wide" board? becasue some sellers trying to convince me
to do that.
I prefer free riding with board abt 160cm.
Advise me before I make a final choice.
Tks

Old November 20th 03, 08:29 PM
Brian

I have 12 US boots as well, and I love my Donek Wide board. If the board
you're looking at has sufficient torsional stiffness, then you probably
shouldn't be scared off by the "wide" designation. I've heard many Donek
Wide and Sasquatch owners say that these boards have greater lateral
responsiveness than many of their lesser, narrower boards. :-)

Good luck!

Brian.

Old November 20th 03, 10:33 PM
Jason M.

" I have quite big feet (45/12US/11UK)
Should I buy a "wide" board? becasue some sellers trying to convince me
to do that.
I prefer free riding with board abt 160cm. "

With size 12 dogs at the end of your legs, you will probably need a
"wider" board. Some things to consider:
1. A wider board (waist width) will generally be slower edge to edge
than a narrower board. During your first and second year, this may
not be important, but as you get better, it will be important.
2. You like free riding, which is generally o.k. with a wider board,
as you aren't trying to transition into a turn as quickly as someone
would on a freestyle or park/pipe board.
3. You can get bindings that raise the toe up, like on a ramp, to
keep the toe-end of your boot out of the snow. Many bindings have
this feature now. There are also Palmer binding platforms that raise
the binding off the board a 1/2 inch. Maybe a good idea. Get your
toes out of the snow, and maybe you don't have to go so wide.
4. The more advanced the angle on your stance, the less your toes will
drag. As in, +18 degrees, +10 degrees. However, I generally recommend
that newer riders keep a more neutral stance, like +8, -2 degrees.
Its personal preference, but more neutral lets you ride switch, bumps,
jumps, park, rails and just about everything easier...except bombing
the hill, aggressive freeride style.

Good luck!
Jason
Old November 21st 03, 11:47 AM
Playdreamer

"Mate" wrote in message ...
Hi there
Im not experienced snowboarder (1 seasons behind)...as U will see
below but I have quite big feet (45/12US/11UK) - That is no my fault
Should I buy a "wide" board?

I have size 46 feet but have so far managed to avoid wide boards as I have
found the few that I have tried to be slow turning and unresponsive. I find
that using risers under your bindings or the kind of "gas pedals" that come
with many bindings (I have them on my high end Flows) can almost completley
eliminate toe drag and the need for a wide board. Also, it is not always the
size of your feet that will necessitate a wide board but, rather, your
boots. Some boots are just bigger than they need to be so look for some low
volume ones. Mine are ancient Airwalk Freerides (size 46) but they are
smaller than many smaller sized boots.

Old November 21st 03, 02:13 PM
Dismantler

"Mate" wrote in message ...
Hi there
Im not experienced snowboarder (1 seasons behind)...as U will see
below but I have quite big feet (45/12US/11UK) - That is no my fault
Should I buy a "wide" board? becasue some sellers trying to convince me
to do that.
I prefer free riding with board abt 160cm.
Advise me before I make a final choice.
Tks

If you don't want to get a wide board (I echo the Donek recommendation,
their wide boards are excellent), buy some Palmer Powerlinks and install
those, that's what I use.

I do freeriding (only), wear size 11 Salomon Malamutes, use relatively high
binding angles (+30/+18), and ride a relatively narrow board (BMC 166). I
don't have problems turning anymore... Used to have a bit of trouble before
getting the Palmers.

Good luck.

Old November 21st 03, 02:36 PM
Playdreamer

"Dismantler" wrote in message
news
I do freeriding (only), wear size 11 Salomon Malamutes,

Hey Dismantler, how do you find the Malamutes in terms of volume? I am
looking for some new boots and liked the look of these but as discussed
above I want something with a low volume.

Old November 21st 03, 02:44 PM
Dana P

I have a Donek 165 Wide (size 12 boot) and my son rides a Donek Sasquach
170 (size 15 boot). We both have had absolutely no problems with these
boards in responsiveness amd have really found these boards to be
excellent all mountain boards (we don't do the pipe). Terrific boards
and I am amxiously waiting my new Donek, which will arrive any day.
Highly recommend the Donek line of boards.
Good luck!

Old November 21st 03, 03:00 PM
Keith

"Dismantler" wrote in message
news
I do freeriding (only), wear size 11 Salomon Malamutes,

Hey Dismantler, how do you find the Malamutes in terms of volume? I am
looking for some new boots and liked the look of these but as discussed
above I want something with a low volume.

(Sorry to butt in!)

I started off with a pair of Salamon Synapses - very similar to the
Malamutes, but a little too big for me. I swapped to last season's Salomon
Fs and I'm really happy with them! Volume-wise they're just the ticket -
considerably smaller than the Synapses for the same shoe size, comfortable
and adjustable. I highly recommend them!

Keith

P.S. And, er, I ride a Donek Incline. Top board! A much better board than I
am a boarder.

Which size board to buy? Savage Snowboarding 4 November 7th 03 01:52 PM
Which new board ?? Alex Snowboarding 2 October 29th 03 02:30 PM
Board sizing... Brett Snowboarding 1 October 19th 03 11:07 PM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM
weight of board on life hurts knee Baretta Snowboarding 1 August 21st 03 11:54 PM