La Grave / Alpe D'Huez trip report & that helmet debate

Old January 19th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Weathercam

Default La Grave / Alpe D'Huez trip report & that helmet debate

Just back Fri 19/01 - only was out for 5 days - Monday went over to AD'H to
enable the wife to get the legs working - only trouble was that she sliced
her knee open on the Tunnel piste, 10 internal stitches and 12 external -
we're not too sure how she did it as she can't remember falling that
bad.......might have been edging along the top on a board with your knees in
contact with the drop and maybe a sharp piece of metal embeded in the snow?

Anyway snow pack was not too bad, and quite good other side of Pic Blanc.

Next few days I remained in La Grave, and switched back to skis afer some
twenty to twenty five years on a board....reason why, La Grave was only
workbale from P3 (3,200) to P2 (2,400) so if you're doing quite a few lines
then the long traverse on a board is really hard work, ok couple of times a
day but more than that and it's too hard especially when you are the only
boarder and you're holding up mates on skis. Skiing came back well, as I
board in ski randonnne boots (Dynafit TLT 4) they were a wee bit too soft
for the more agressive nature of the various pitches in Les Vallons....so a
mate sorted me out with some stiffer boots and skis and the next few days
really came together.

As for the snow, rain that fell all day Thursday was snow above 2.000mts and
a great day was had on La Meije, must have been all of twenty or so people
out - very high winds at the top meant that the bubbles took even longer,
visability at times was wanting. But was pleased with my regression back to
two planks! Even though have been up there many a time over the past twelve
years was glad I was with some people that really know the mountain. We had
two people shouting at us in the bubble as we went over them totally freaked
as to which line to take in the ensuing white out and where they might end
up.

So it really does need a sustained "dump" , we did one run down the glacier
and huge holes either side makes you concentrate that little bit
more...............and the fact you can't get down to P1 is really bad,
Hopefully snow early next week might do the trick, but they and the rest of
the Alps need two weeks of storms. I'm back out next week on Thursday and I
think I might still be on skis.

Touring options were zero with a few people making an effort from the Col Du
Lauteret but conditions were below average, though good to get the lungs and
legs working for upcoming excursions in March and April.

Spent the day in Alpe D'Huez today, that was a bad call, winds shut the top
and warm temps and loads of people made for a horrific experience.

And for those of you pontificating about whether to wear a helmet, the pros
and cons etc take a look at this http://www.baylisg.plus.com/lagrave.wmv ,
you'll see why a mate of mine was glad he had one, and a few other near
misses - basically it really does depend on the terrain you're venturing out
in...that said wore a helmet on piste in AD'H and that's because I do tend
to ride reasonably quick (but in control) on the piste.