Ski Servicing

Old January 14th 05, 08:53 AM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Neil Swingler" wrote in message
Paul ( Skiing8 ) wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:26:14 -0000, "Paul \( Skiing8 \)"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:38:18 -0000, "Paul \( Skiing8 \)"
wrote:

I need a new edge file, some base repair products and I might

possibly

treat

myself to a propper wax iron instead of using the old clothes iron I
currently use.

They should certainly have that lot, although I have to say I've never
managed to get edges as sharp as a shop machine-service does. For
waxing I use an old 'travel' iron, which does the job perfectly,
although I have to let it re-heat for a few seconds between strokes,
IYSWIM. A blowtorch is also useful for base repairs, but should be
used with caution, as overheating can easily lead to base
de-lamination.

I find the opposit, the machine ground job is not as good as what I can

do.

Really? On the edges? I've done 'em with a couple of different
file-guide thingies, but never seem to get them really sharp. TBH
though, I'm not that bothered - I tend to just deburr the edges
freehand with a rough file or stone and then file them until they're
smooth with the proper tool.

It took me a long time but I finally figured out how to do it, I run the
rough file over the base first then followed by a fine file, then using

a 90
deg file holder and one of those cresent shaped files I run it along the
edge, the file must be really sharp and you only run it in the direction

of
the cut of the file. When I do this I can run it down the length of the

ski
and remove a shaving of metal that curls up into a little coil, the

shaving
is really thin. Before I figured this out I was running the file up and

down
rapidly and it blunted the file... no good. I got a diamond file

recently
that I want to have a go with, many years ago I was tought by someone to
service skiis and they had a diamon file and I remember it did a good

job.

snip

After reading this thread:

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/...ight=tooltonic
I bought a Tooltonic edge tool from www.tooltonic.com - just sent them
an email. They sent me the tool + a bill for 99 CHF - only in
Switzerland :-)

It is indeed very effective. Only does side edges though.

--
Neil Swingler

That looks pretty good, the tuning set will cost about £46+ delivery.
I use a flat file for the bases anyway so it is not a problem that it only
does the edges.

Paul

Old January 14th 05, 11:45 AM
James Hart

David Brown ) wrote:
£4.50 for an iron in Argos. They're steam irons but who cares?

The holes could get bunged up so instead of a nice surface like an old flat
iron you get something that feels lumpy and draggy.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old January 14th 05, 12:21 PM
David Brown :o\)

"James Hart" wrote in message
The holes could get bunged up so instead of a nice surface like an old
flat iron you get something that feels lumpy and draggy.

What a load of old piffle.

--
kitemap
http://ugcc.co.uk

Old January 14th 05, 12:56 PM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"James Hart" wrote in message
David Brown ) wrote:
£4.50 for an iron in Argos. They're steam irons but who cares?

The holes could get bunged up so instead of a nice surface like an old

flat
iron you get something that feels lumpy and draggy.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

With the steam iron I use at the moment there isn't a problem, just run the
iron off the end and its fine...... anyhow, you scrape the surface wax off,
the wax only stayes in the microscopic pores of the base, and dimples or
uneven wax doesn't matter.

Paul

Old January 14th 05, 01:05 PM
Sean O.

James Hart wrote:

The holes could get bunged up so instead of a nice surface like an old
flat iron you get something that feels lumpy and draggy.

I don't think there actually is any problem using a steam iron.
But if you really wanted a non-steam iron, Rowenta still make one.
http://www.electricshop.com/invt/4011row110516a
They cost about 20 quid, and they're plenty powerful.

Also, Index still carry a non-steam travel iron.
I've got one of those, it works, but you have to take it fairly slowly - it
isn't powerful to melt very much wax at once. It was cheap (about a
fiver), but its very flimsy, on reflection I think I'd have been better of
with a more robustly built steam version.

HTH.
Old January 15th 05, 09:16 AM
Steve Haigh

Paul ( Skiing8 ) wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:38:18 -0000, "Paul \( Skiing8 \)"
wrote:

Does anyone service their own skiis here?

I've been know to, but generally only when there's a repair to be
done. Pitex application is one of those things that's better done
manually, rather than by machine, and is not difficult. For normal
edge&wax servicing I try and throw it into a friendly shop in resort
when I'm repping, which has the added advantage of often not costing
me anything, so may influence my decisionsomewhat :-)

I am pretty good at P-tex'ing except for deep or near edge fills, the normal
repair candles cannot hold that well and I need some strips or higher
density sticks. Unfortunatly when skiing its a hit or miss if I find the
right shop and don't get ripped off.

The best way to repair hits near the edge is the patch the base, PTex
just falls out after a couple of days (if that). This sounds pretty
trickey - S+R have done mine twice and the results are utterly perfect.
You can only see where the patch is if you hold the skis up to a bright
light.