Need advice on Lech eating

Old January 8th 05, 06:41 PM

Default Need advice on Lech eating

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are going to Lech in a few weeks and
it will be our first trip there. The place we are staying
at offers breakfast only, so we are on our own for the
mid-day and evening meals.
We mostly are there to ski/eat/sleep for a week, we just
want good, quality food in a variety of price ranges.
We don't need to impress each other (we've been together
for 15 years), so we are not interested in paying a premium
for posh, atmosphere, ambience, etc. We just want good
food at a good price.
Evening dinners in Lech.
We are going to make it over the the St. Anton side
on a couple of days, so any we are looking for recommendations
for mid-day meals (cheap ?) on both the Lech and St. Anton
lift systems.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cedric

Old January 9th 05, 01:17 PM
Steve Haigh

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are going to Lech in a few weeks and
it will be our first trip there. The place we are staying
at offers breakfast only, so we are on our own for the
mid-day and evening meals.
We mostly are there to ski/eat/sleep for a week, we just
want good, quality food in a variety of price ranges.
We don't need to impress each other (we've been together
for 15 years), so we are not interested in paying a premium
for posh, atmosphere, ambience, etc. We just want good
food at a good price.

Interesting take on the reason for quality eating... if I go out to an
expensive place (with or without my wife) I'm going there to be
impressed by the restaurant, not to impress someone else.

Evening dinners in Lech.
We are going to make it over the the St. Anton side
on a couple of days, so any we are looking for recommendations
for mid-day meals (cheap ?) on both the Lech and St. Anton
lift systems.

I don't think you'll find much cheap food in either Lech or St Anton.
Prices aren't outrageous but cheap isn't a word that springs to mind I'm
afraid. Lech has a reputation for being expensive, but this is largely
undeserved in the mountain restaurants at least. I've never stayed over
night in Lech so I don't know about evening meals, but there are loads
of places on the mountain that serve good food at reasonable prices. I'm
afraid I'm terrible with names, but I've never been disappointed by any
of the places in Oberlech, so you should be OK there.

I've never really liked the Rufikopf, but I seem to have ended up there
far too often. It's not bad but there are better places.

Heading into Zurs I can recommend the place at the top of the Trittalp /
Hexenboden 1 chairs. On the other side of the valley the Seekopf is also
good. Both these have large terraces so they're great if it's sunny.

In St Anton, the Hospitzalm is worth a visit but it is not cheap - at
least have a look at the wine list downstairs though - they have it on
the wall... suffice it to say that I have spent less on an entire
holiday than some of those bottles cost. Ulmer Hutte is good but is
often v. busy. The self service at Galzig is OK, not very atmospheric
but has excellent views and is big enough so that you can usually
squeeze in even on the busiest days. One that is well worth seeking out
is the Rodel Alm. It's not on the map but you will find it on the
Nasserein run. If you are over in Stuben the place at the Mittelstation
is OK and tends not to be as busy as many of the others. If you drop
down into St Anton itself the Cafe Sailer is a very handy place just
across the road from the bottom of the main run into town. They serve
big portions (try the Tiroler Grostl if you are hungry enough - sadly
they don't service it with a fired egg on top any more) and I think it
is also a bit cheaper than the mountain restaurants. One that I have
never stopped at but which is recomended by others is the Sennhutte,
it's very low down the hill on the main run into town and I don't thikn
it's on the map, so keep an eye out for it on the right onthe lower
section of the Zammermoose run.