Taos trip report 12/27-30

Old January 11th 05, 05:50 AM
Richard Henry

"ant" wrote in message

"Harry Weiner" wrote in message
There's whacko drinking laws in other states. I remember in Vermont,
while at Killington, you could only get ONE drink at a time. You
couldn't get a pitcher of beer, or a shot and a beer.

If you have a beer in Vermont, and someone buys you a beer, the barperson
puts a funny little chess piece in front of you. That's your next beer. I
wanted to stage a raid and get all the chess pieces, but the bar guy said
that wouldn't work. humf.

I wnent to a bar in Lawton, Oklahoma, where the happy hour rule was stricly
enforced. However, you could buy all the beers you wanted at happy hour
prices and they would store them for you in the cooler behind the bar, but
they had to be consumed before you left the bar.

Old January 11th 05, 10:45 AM
Harry Weiner

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:46:31 -0800, "Richard Henry"
wrote this crap:

The first time I got REALLY drunk was when I went away from Vermont) to
college in New York (in 1965, when drinking age was still 18). The local
fraternities held fund-raiser events in the frat-house back yard: all the
beer you cold drink (plus one hot dog) for a couple of bucks. 50 kegs! 80
kegs! 69 kegs (the snake house)!

Sounds like my house.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old January 11th 05, 10:47 AM
Harry Weiner

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:44:50 -0700, Bob Lee wrote this
crap:

There's whacko drinking laws in other states.

They closed down all the drive-thru liquor store windows in New Mexico a
while back. Sucks, huh?

Anyone know if you can still get a drink to go at bars in Montana?

I know that in Michigan every gas station sells liquor and beer.

Old January 11th 05, 12:36 PM
Chuck

AstroPax wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:48:59 -0700, Bob Lee wrote:

I hear there's free beer and scotch in the evening

Free drinks, in Utah ? Bwaaahaaahaa !!!

FYI, it's illegal for a liqueur licensee to give it away, for free.

Nor can they sell it at a price less than what they paid for it.

Hell, even happy hour is illegal !

None of this "all you can drink for five bucks" **** either.

Byzantine liquor laws. This is what happens when a bunch of Mormonz
get together in Top Secret tele-conferences on Sunday afternoons and
write the liqueur code. Everything is all ****ed-up.

For example, here is a small sample from the Utah "Alcoholic Beverage
Control Act" (Title 32A):

---
30) (a) (i) Liquor may be sold only at prices fixed by the commission.
(ii) Liquor may not be sold at discount prices on any date or at
any time.
(b) Alcoholic beverages may not be sold at less than the cost of
the alcoholic beverage to the licensee.
(c) An alcoholic beverage may not be sold at a special or reduced
price that encourages over consumption or intoxication.
(d) The price of a single serving of a primary spirituous liquor
shall be the same whether served as a single drink or in conjunction
with another alcoholic beverage.
(e) An alcoholic beverage may not be sold at a special or reduced
price for only certain hours of the private club's business day such
as a "happy hour."
(f) The sale or service of more than one alcoholic beverage for
the price of a single alcoholic beverage is prohibited.
(g) The sale or service of an indefinite or unlimited number of
alcoholic beverages during any set period for a fixed price is
prohibited.
(h) A private club licensee may not engage in a promotion
involving or offering free alcoholic beverages to patrons of the club.
---

Oh, and one more...one of my favorites:

---
(c) each club patron may have no more than 2.75 ounces of spirituous
liquor at a time before the patron.
---

-Astro

Don't like the liquor laws? Replace the bozos that wrote them. You do
vote don't you?
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old January 11th 05, 11:03 PM
The Real Bev

Bob Lee wrote:

JLGSAK wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
Anyone know if you can still get a drink to go at bars in Montana?

Sure can. It is still legal to drink and drive with an open container in
Montana as long as you aren't legally drunk which I believe is .8.

Is that a great state or what? Bummer that they reinstated speed limits
- those were the days.

Blackmail. And California gets back less than it puts in.

However
this may change soon as we lost a lot of federal highway funding for our
refusal to ban open containers while driving. I predict that the legislature
which is meeting as I speak will come up with a new law shortlyl Drats!

Frickin' gummint. Doing everything they can to take the fun out of
things.

But it's for your own good, Bob. YOU of all people should know that.
And for the children...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 11th 05, 11:11 PM
The Real Bev

Chuck wrote:

Don't like the liquor laws? Replace the bozos that wrote them. You do
vote don't you?

Nobody ever runs on a REPEAL THE LIQUOR LAWS ticket. And if he does,
he's probably against something else that you may hold even dearer.

--
Cheers, Bev
"America is at an awkward stage: it is too late to work within the
Old January 11th 05, 11:34 PM
ant

"Richard Henry" wrote in message news:trKEd.25760
Meanwhile, back in the real world, I heard a Sna Diego bar advertising on
the radio a "bladder-buster" night: all beers half-price until someone
goes
to the restroom.

that'd be no good. guys seem to need to go almost once every beer!

back hom at one of my old mountains, down in the town at the bottom they had
a game called Wheel of Destruction at the local pub on friday nights.
Someone would spin the wheel every 15 minutes, and it would land on "full"
"3/4", "half" or "quarter". there was also one "free"! and whatever it
landed on, that was the price of beers for the next 15 minutes, then they'd
ring the bell and spin the wheel again. Best EVER. Although we got blown up
for having about 30 middies of beer on the table in front of us when it had
a run of quarter price.

ant

Old January 11th 05, 11:38 PM
ant

When I was in colorado, someone explained about the liquor stores closing on
sundays, so I knew that. Teh local petrol station had groceries and beer for
sale, and then it had a separate grog shop next door, that sold beer, wine
and spirits. One day I had to buy some food, so I grabbed some beer too. The
shop guy came up behind an said "ma'am...that's sunday beer". Turned out the
supermarkets and petrol stations had to sell low alcohol beer, so they could
continue selling it on sundays. If I wanted real beer, I had to get it from
the grog shop next door. Weird!

ant

Old January 12th 05, 09:31 PM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:

FYI, it's illegal for a liqueur licensee to give it away, for free.

True. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Why just the other
day.. uhhhh.. never mind.

There's also loopholes. Like a kind patron with extra cash.. that may
or not be associated with the establishment, that may buy you a
drink. Bottom line, tip well, and the bartender^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hgods
will be kind..

Nor can they sell it at a price less than what they paid for it.

Hell, even happy hour is illegal !

None of this "all you can drink for five bucks" **** either.

And dogs are not allowed except for ADA guide dogs, but the bar I
frequent tends to always have a few lounging around. The Deputies have
never said a thing, as long as they have a watershed tag. Then there's
the membership thing... heh.. right.

Byzantine liquor laws. This is what happens when a bunch of Mormonz
get together in Top Secret tele-conferences on Sunday afternoons and
write the liqueur code. Everything is all ****ed-up.

Not ****ed up.. Purrfect.. keeps folks going somewhere
else. Otherwise, we'd just be Denver with a shorter drive to skiing.

Count your blessings..

How's the arm? Gonna get back out there soon?

-klaus
Old January 12th 05, 09:33 PM
klaus

Bob Lee wrote:

I read today that bartenders in Utah can't mix a drink within sight of
the patron. True?

No. Not at a bar.

You should know that there's none of that stupid **** in TSV.

True, but there is other stupid ****. Closed boundaries and Texans.