Skiing at -12F Classic is the Way to Go!

Old January 29th 04, 10:21 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Skiing at -12F Classic is the Way to Go!

I skied today with the temp at minus 12 (-12F). There was a 10mph wind
out of the northwest which is a killer at that temp. However, I skied
a trail system on the east side of Saint Paul that is classic only and
95% in the woods. I think classic is the only way to go in temps that
cold. I haven't shaved in a month so that helped. Plus, I put vaseline
on my face and nose. Double poly pro, windbriefs, vest, headband,
thick hat, warm bike jersey, warm bike jacket, warm-up tights and
lobster mitts kept me warm. The coldest I've ever skied is -17F.

What's the coldest temp you've ever skied in?

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
Old January 29th 04, 10:51 PM
Greg Fangel

"Jay Tegeder" wrote in message
m...
I skied today with the temp at minus 12 (-12F). There was a 10mph wind
out of the northwest which is a killer at that temp. However, I skied
a trail system on the east side of Saint Paul that is classic only and
95% in the woods. I think classic is the only way to go in temps that
cold. I haven't shaved in a month so that helped. Plus, I put vaseline
on my face and nose. Double poly pro, windbriefs, vest, headband,
thick hat, warm bike jersey, warm bike jacket, warm-up tights and
lobster mitts kept me warm. The coldest I've ever skied is -17F.

What's the coldest temp you've ever skied in?

-18ºF on the North Shore at Tetteguche State Park (Minnesota) many years
ago. When you go away for a weekend, rent an expensive place and only have 1
1/2 days to ski, you go out and enjoy it. Lots of layers, vaseline or
Dermatone and protection for your lungs (headband, balaklava or neck warmer
pulled over your mouth) is important....Those boot warmers work great
too....even though you look like you have clown feet.

Greg Fangel

Old January 30th 04, 12:04 AM
Marsh Jones

Jay Tegeder wrote:
I skied today with the temp at minus 12 (-12F). There was a 10mph wind
out of the northwest which is a killer at that temp. However, I skied
a trail system on the east side of Saint Paul that is classic only and
95% in the woods. I think classic is the only way to go in temps that
cold. I haven't shaved in a month so that helped. Plus, I put vaseline
on my face and nose. Double poly pro, windbriefs, vest, headband,
thick hat, warm bike jersey, warm bike jacket, warm-up tights and
lobster mitts kept me warm. The coldest I've ever skied is -17F.

What's the coldest temp you've ever skied in?

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

We skied Rice Creek (N side of TC Metro) this afternoon. It's tough
when you are too warm (Polarfleece lined windbreaker), and it hurts to
breathe all at the same time. Once you got back in the trees, it was
really quite pleasant. I'd guess the temps at around -8F at 3:00. The
coldest I've skied was at Giants Ridge last year - right at 0F and a 20+
wind out of the North. Coming out into the open was painful.

Marsh Jones

Old January 30th 04, 12:32 AM
FrontRunner

25 below.
Estonia
Tartu Marathon Open track
It was cold, but classic skiing it was not to bad. Fortunately it was sunny
and not too much wind.

Coldest day was last year's Bear Chase.....6 below thirty to forty mph
winds...skating. Now that was tough.

The FrontRunner

Old January 30th 04, 12:46 AM
George Cleveland

On 29 Jan 2004 15:21:48 -0800, (Jay Tegeder) wrote:

I skied today with the temp at minus 12 (-12F). There was a 10mph wind
out of the northwest which is a killer at that temp. However, I skied
a trail system on the east side of Saint Paul that is classic only and
95% in the woods. I think classic is the only way to go in temps that
cold. I haven't shaved in a month so that helped. Plus, I put vaseline
on my face and nose. Double poly pro, windbriefs, vest, headband,
thick hat, warm bike jersey, warm bike jacket, warm-up tights and
lobster mitts kept me warm. The coldest I've ever skied is -17F.

What's the coldest temp you've ever skied in?

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

About 20 years ago we had a stretch of below zero days. After a week or so
I was getting major cabin fever. I had to get out!
IIRC the air temp was -26F and the windchill was below -50F. The skis did
not glide much but made a sort a raspy sound as they went over the snow. In
a short time I was starting to sweat under my clothing while any exposed
skin was starting to sting and go numb. After a half hour I had had enough.
Cabin fever cured.

It was actually quite neat. I've been noticing how fast a person gets used
to cold weather. The other morning it was 6 above and I felt comfortable
wearing a heavy sweater when I went out to start my car. No wind, of
course.

g.c.
g.c.

Old January 30th 04, 04:03 AM
SBull10152

I raced classic at -19F at Iola ,Wisconsin a few years back....glasses fogged
and iced and I couldnt see a thing...I think there was 30 or 40 of us that
raced that day....it was not all that bad if I could have seen what I was
doing....
Old January 30th 04, 05:05 AM
heyman

I skied in -40 in Banff. I asked my wife what that was in Fahrenheit.
She--rightly--thought I was an idiot.

--
michael

Old January 30th 04, 06:31 AM
Terje Mathisen

Jay Tegeder wrote:

I skied today with the temp at minus 12 (-12F). There was a 10mph wind
out of the northwest which is a killer at that temp. However, I skied
a trail system on the east side of Saint Paul that is classic only and
95% in the woods. I think classic is the only way to go in temps that
cold. I haven't shaved in a month so that helped. Plus, I put vaseline
on my face and nose. Double poly pro, windbriefs, vest, headband,
thick hat, warm bike jersey, warm bike jacket, warm-up tights and
lobster mitts kept me warm. The coldest I've ever skied is -17F.

What's the coldest temp you've ever skied in?

Never any colder than -36C or so. (At these temerature ranges, the scale
doesn't matter that much, since -40F == -40C)

BTW, I do agree that trying to skate at this point would have been "not
fun".

Terje

--
-
Old January 30th 04, 06:35 AM
Terje Mathisen

heyman wrote:

I skied in -40 in Banff. I asked my wife what that was in Fahrenheit.
She--rightly--thought I was an idiot.

Yeah, I agree. As many/most know, -40 is -40, no matter if you're using
a scale that makes sense or are still clinging to one that was
calibrated (to 96F) by sticking the thermometers into a dog's rectum.

Terje
--
-