Tignes cable car derailment

Old November 12th 04, 06:12 PM
PG

Default Tignes cable car derailment

No one headed for Tignes? The cable car derailed this morning, it'll be
a fair few days before it's operational again. 100 or so passengers
winched to the ground. Spokesman reckoned it was due to a gust of wind
"the biggest ever experienced on the glacier". Yeah, sure. The whole
story of the day's events here...

http://tinyurl.com/4chvq

Pete
http://www.snowracers.net

Old November 12th 04, 06:19 PM
Joe Hunt

"PG" wrote in message
No one headed for Tignes? The cable car derailed this morning, it'll be
a fair few days before it's operational again. 100 or so passengers
winched to the ground. Spokesman reckoned it was due to a gust of wind
"the biggest ever experienced on the glacier". Yeah, sure. The whole
story of the day's events here...

Off there in Feb. so I hope it's sorted by then ! A very strong E wind is
to set itself up in the coming days over the whole of the Alps.

Joe

Old November 12th 04, 06:31 PM
PG

"Joe Hunt" wrote in message

| "PG" wrote in message
| No one headed for Tignes? The cable car derailed this morning, it'll
be
| a fair few days before it's operational again. 100 or so passengers
| winched to the ground. Spokesman reckoned it was due to a gust of
wind
| "the biggest ever experienced on the glacier". Yeah, sure. The whole
| story of the day's events here...
|
| Off there in Feb. so I hope it's sorted by then ! A very strong E wind
is
| to set itself up in the coming days over the whole of the Alps.

Now that is bad news - very. The snow is thin on the ground as it is.
All we need is the Foehn to start blowing and remove the little that's
left. Just checked the forecast - yes temperatures are heading upwards
after the weekend. Bad news for the World Cup Criterium early December
in Val d'Isère too - those dates are getting rather close for comfort.

I was in Tignes yesterday, bitterly cold. I'll never complain again...
some photos here....

http://bsm.alpesprovence.net/albumtignes111104.html

Pete

Old November 12th 04, 06:49 PM
David Off

PG wrote:
"Joe Hunt" wrote in message

| A very strong E wind
is
| to set itself up in the coming days over the whole of the Alps.

Now that is bad news - very. The snow is thin on the ground as it is.
All we need is the Foehn to start blowing and remove the little that's
left.

An east wind is une Lombarde, it often means snow on the Italian side of
the mountains.
Old November 12th 04, 07:01 PM
Joe Hunt

"PG" wrote in message

Now that is bad news - very. The snow is thin on the ground as it is.
All we need is the Foehn to start blowing and remove the little that's
left. Just checked the forecast - yes temperatures are heading upwards
after the weekend. Bad news for the World Cup Criterium early December
in Val d'Isère too - those dates are getting rather close for comfort.

I was in Tignes yesterday, bitterly cold. I'll never complain again...
some photos here....

http://bsm.alpesprovence.net/albumtignes111104.html

Pete

For those who can understand synoptic charts -
http://129.13.102.67/pics/brack0a.gif

Joe

Old November 12th 04, 07:14 PM
pete devlin

In message , PG
writes
No one headed for Tignes? The cable car derailed this morning, it'll be
a fair few days before it's operational again. 100 or so passengers
winched to the ground. Spokesman reckoned it was due to a gust of wind
"the biggest ever experienced on the glacier". Yeah, sure. The whole
story of the day's events here...

http://tinyurl.com/4chvq

Pete
http://www.snowracers.net

Sh!t. I'm going on 4 dec. Hope they've sorted it by then. Not because I
like going up there, but it does keep people off the decent runs!
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Old November 12th 04, 08:33 PM
Robert Swindells

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:12:27 +0100, PG wrote:

No one headed for Tignes? The cable car derailed this morning, it'll be
a fair few days before it's operational again. 100 or so passengers
winched to the ground. Spokesman reckoned it was due to a gust of wind
"the biggest ever experienced on the glacier". Yeah, sure. The whole
story of the day's events here...

Great.

I'm going out there next Friday.

Robert Swindells

Old November 14th 04, 09:51 AM
PG

"pete devlin" wrote in message
news | In message , PG

| writes
| No one headed for Tignes? The cable car derailed this morning, it'll
be
| a fair few days before it's operational again. 100 or so passengers
| winched to the ground. Spokesman reckoned it was due to a gust of
wind
| "the biggest ever experienced on the glacier". Yeah, sure. The whole
| story of the day's events here...
|
| http://tinyurl.com/4chvq
|
| Pete
| http://www.snowracers.net
|

| Sh!t. I'm going on 4 dec. Hope they've sorted it by then. Not because
| like going up there, but it does keep people off the decent runs!

Updates on the situation at http://tinyurl.com/4chvq but I spoke to the
lift company today, and repairs will take "at least a week", and then
they have to obtain official authorisation to resume operations.

Double M still not really skiable (not open officially), no snow
forecast until the coming weekend at the earliest, and warmer
temperatures, 0°C at 3000 from Tuesday until at least Thursday.

Still, there's time!
Pete
www.snowracers.net

Old November 15th 04, 10:06 AM
MoonMan

Robert Swindells wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:12:27 +0100, PG wrote:

No one headed for Tignes? The cable car derailed this morning, it'll
be a fair few days before it's operational again. 100 or so
passengers winched to the ground. Spokesman reckoned it was due to a
gust of wind "the biggest ever experienced on the glacier". Yeah,
sure. The whole story of the day's events here...

Great.

I'm going out there next Friday.

Robert Swindells

Practicing for january?