WC: unbelievable Elofsson

Old November 26th 03, 09:53 AM
PF

Default WC: unbelievable Elofsson

How can a 2 WC winner ski like last weekend in Beitostolen finishing in 50
place!!!
I think, anyway, that Per is one of the best skier in classic and free
style, so does anyone know what his problem may be actually?

ciao.

Old November 26th 03, 01:32 PM
Terje Mathisen

PF wrote:

How can a 2 WC winner ski like last weekend in Beitostolen finishing in 50
place!!!
I think, anyway, that Per is one of the best skier in classic and free
style, so does anyone know what his problem may be actually?

I believe most/all of the swedes missed the wax on saturday (-8 C),
while Frode Andresen managed to grab the wrong pair for his leg on the
relay on sunday.

Waxing is still important. :-(

Terje

--
-

Old November 26th 03, 02:17 PM
PF

I know, but now (source www.wintersport.com) I read about per Elofsson
intention to skip kuusamo to focus on training.
I think the best training is racing!!! Do you agree?!?
Paolo

Old November 26th 03, 03:10 PM
Dell Todd

"PF" wrote in message ...
How can a 2 WC winner ski like last weekend in Beitostolen finishing in 50
place!!!
I think, anyway, that Per is one of the best skier in classic and free
style, so does anyone know what his problem may be actually?

ciao.

I read that Per is experimenting with less volume & more intensity.
It's a non-championship year, so taking a flyer is a safe bet. Plus he
has plenty of time to absorb that training before things get serious
in January.

Also, the time delta between 1st & 50th place in that 15k race was
only 2 minutes.
Old November 26th 03, 06:38 PM
Tomas Bystrom

In article , PF wrote:
How can a 2 WC winner ski like last weekend in Beitostolen finishing in 50
place!!!
I think, anyway, that Per is one of the best skier in classic and free
style, so does anyone know what his problem may be actually?

He suffers from the aftermath of over-training, and has struggled with
constant minor injuries and illness the last couple of years. He was
known from his youth days and the first senior years to have an
excellent knowledge of his body, but he has somehow lost touch with
that. Therefore, he and the coaches think that he should take it a bit
easy so he won't hit the wall again.
Personally, I think that the beating he took from Mühlegg in the first race
in the SLC oly's sort of screwed his mind up. Per was in good shape
coming in to SLC, and just couldn't believe that someone would leave
him behind like that - and now we know why that happened.
OK, he has done some good races since that, but still rather inconsistent.

/Tomas

--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.
Old November 26th 03, 10:09 PM
Jay Tegeder

I predict Per will win World Cup races in January. He overtrained last
year and and didn't recover until the Worlds where he won his Pursuit
Gold. He's still the best skier in the World in my opinion. Anyway,
this is an off year with no Worlds or Olympics. As a result, training
properly with emphasis on skiing well during the next Worlds and
Olympics is the likely plan. Unfortunately, winning the Overall World
Title like Per did a few years ago and Fredriksson did last year,
doesn't mean as much as World or Olympic gold.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old November 26th 03, 10:55 PM
Chequama Mama

I think that he, like a lot of skiers on the world cup are still
rounding into form. Kris Freeman and Carl Swenson of the US are both
excellent skaters and did poorly in like 28th and 50th, respectively.
There were a lot of other skiers that I was truely surprised to see so
far down the results list. As soon as the races this weekend up to a
month from now I think we will see favorites start arriving at the top
of their game.

Paul

--
Remove the caps to reply
Nordic Nuts

Old November 27th 03, 08:16 AM
Anders Lustig

Tomas Bystrom wrote in message ...

He suffers from the aftermath of over-training, and has struggled with
constant minor injuries and illness the last couple of years. He was
known from his youth days and the first senior years to have an
excellent knowledge of his body, but he has somehow lost touch with
that.

"I didn´t recognise myself. My body felt okay in the
beginning but I lost seconds all the time."

"I know it won´t be until closer to spring that I´ll
be able to function normally, but, of course, one
gets a little worried."

"I´ve never finished as low as this in WC races. As
a junior I was once 48th, I think."

"I´m not sure how I´ll cope with this mentally, but
I´ve for long accepted it as a given that there won´t
be any top placements in the early pat of the season.
But sure, I had hoped for somehing a bit better than
this."

"It´s about what changes on cell level. Research hasn´t
yet advanced so far that one could say what exactly
is wrong and what should be done to be healthy again,
but it´ll take a year /from spring 2003/."

Personally, I think that the beating he took from Mühlegg in the first race
in the SLC oly's sort of screwed his mind up. Per was in good shape
coming in to SLC, and just couldn't believe that someone would leave
him behind like that - and now we know why that happened.

"The troubles for me started already during the training
camp before SLC, where I for the first time noticed how
the body said "Stop!" Ìt was overtraining. Later I had
my bout with mycoplasma, which was a part of the same
chain of events."

"It came gradually, but the clearest signs of having gone
overboard was during the pre-OG camp, where I did very
hard intervals at altitude and one evening my legs were
just all hard and stiff and pulsating."

"I did manage to recover a bit for the OG start, but I no
longer had that real spurt in myself."

"In May 2003 I was really forced to reconsider my training.
I threw away my logbook and began to train in tune with
how I feel on the day."

"I´m not at all worried that I´ve lost my "winner´s head".
I cannot bring myself to torment myself because I haven´t
trained fully, but the day I´m back in form, the old Per
will return, too!"

Anders (translating freely what he read in Aftonbladet)
Old November 28th 03, 07:37 AM
Janne G

Take a look at Per Elofsson skate now and compare it to when
he was in shape (Lahti) you se that he is not skating in the same
way as he did then. If this is caused of bad shape or bad tech i don't know
could be some sort of circular behavior betwen the two factors.
Especially look at what he is doing with his skiis before the "setdown".

--

Forward in all directions

Janne G
Old November 28th 03, 10:23 PM
taywood

"Janne G" wrote in message
Take a look at Per Elofsson skate now and compare it to when
he was in shape (Lahti) you se that he is not skating in the same
way as he did then. If this is caused of bad shape or bad tech i don't

know
could be some sort of circular behavior betwen the two factors.
Especially look at what he is doing with his skiis before the "setdown".

Just as an aside, when I think about Per his performance seems
to have gone worse since SLC.
He obviously sufferred physically at the time trying to keep up
with the wild Spanish German, but if his 'mental set' also took a
battering is it likely to have had a long term negative effect on his
performance.
Mike