help needed: proper ski lenght, proper ski for me

Old January 11th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
alf

Default help needed: proper ski lenght, proper ski for me

Hi,

I did my homeworked goggled usent and internet but have not reached the
conclusion regarding the old as world question: ski length. I have
learned recently to carve fast and cleanly on my Dynastars agyl8 178cm
and an instructor advised I need much better skis. I feel it too. My
ambitions is aggressive, fast, sport carving. He even recommended fisher
RC4 wordcup sl. I also consider Fisher RX8.

The fisher web site indicates I need either 160 or 165 or 170 for mine
200lb 5.11 (or 180cm).

I went to quite good dedicated ski store and they said there is no way
RC4 might work for - probably they are right. But if I really want I
need 160 cm.

There is also a tempting private offer for two-or-so seasons used RC4
Wordcup SL, but they are 165cm, is not that a bit too long?

Any insight, thx in advance ...

Andy

Old January 11th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

alf wrote:
[...]

The RC4 worldcup SL is a Slalom race ski so by default it comes in the
'legal' Lengths of 155 for women and 165 for men. The restrictions are to
stop racers going shorter! the best male skiers in dry slope racing (where
the regulations are not enforced) prefer 155s or even 150s. the only problem
with this being the resultant short life of the ski
There are other lengths, for example I currently train on a pair this
seasons 160s but race on a 2004 pair of 165s the older skis, though longer,
are stiffer and have a shorter radius. btw I'm 6' 1" and weigh 17st 6lbs

I really like my RC4s but they are very stiff skis and so not for beginers.

Hope this helps

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!