My Answer to those who Dis the Winter Games.

Old February 11th 06, 02:59 PM

Default My Answer to those who Dis the Winter Games.

The REAL Olympics

Hey Dudes! Click into a pair of race skis and fly down the mountain at
70-80 mile/hour. The Olympic skiers are skiing at the very limits of human
capability. It doesn't look fast on TV or from the lifts but let me tell
you it seems one heck of a lot faster when it is you zooming down the hill
on two boards that sometimes have a mind of their own.

See the entire editorial at:
http://www.wi-ski.com/article.php?st...60211094008655

--
Before Heading to the HIlls Head to The Wisconsin Skier:
http://www.wi-ski.com/
Old February 11th 06, 07:48 PM

I agree. It must be one of the most physically taxing sports going. I
have just watched the ladies moguls and ski jump section of the
Olympics and it was brilliant. The control needed to get over those
bumps and perform those jumps must be very difficult to achieve. The
physical fitness and mental concentration needed must be intense.

Winter Games Ski On........!!

Old February 12th 06, 04:59 AM

Nix wrote:
I agree. It must be one of the most physically taxing sports going. I
have just watched the ladies moguls and ski jump section of the
Olympics and it was brilliant.

Sadly, you saw a bunch of US also-rans and a smattering of non-US. The end
result bore no resemblance to who actually skiied and competed. It was an
absolute disgrace.

--
ant
New Panasonic FZ30 forum...

Old February 12th 06, 03:35 PM

ant wrote:

Nix wrote:

I agree. It must be one of the most physically taxing sports going. I
have just watched the ladies moguls and ski jump section of the
Olympics and it was brilliant.

Sadly, you saw a bunch of US also-rans and a smattering of non-US. The end
result bore no resemblance to who actually skiied and competed. It was an
absolute disgrace.

Yeah, ant, that's because everything sucks in this country, from the
beer to the cheese to the tee vee coverage.

Here's your hat...

Old February 12th 06, 04:55 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

ant wrote:

Nix wrote:

I agree. It must be one of the most physically taxing sports going. I
have just watched the ladies moguls and ski jump section of the
Olympics and it was brilliant.

Sadly, you saw a bunch of US also-rans and a smattering of non-US. The
end result bore no resemblance to who actually skiied and competed. It
was an absolute disgrace.

Yeah, ant, that's because everything sucks in this country, from the
beer to the cheese to the tee vee coverage.

Here's your hat...

I guess you didn't see much of the downhill today then
Old February 12th 06, 05:02 PM

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

ant wrote:

Nix wrote:

I agree. It must be one of the most physically taxing sports
going. I
have just watched the ladies moguls and ski jump section of the
Olympics and it was brilliant.

Sadly, you saw a bunch of US also-rans and a smattering of non-US.
The end result bore no resemblance to who actually skiied and
competed. It was an absolute disgrace.

Yeah, ant, that's because everything sucks in this country, from
the beer to the cheese to the tee vee coverage.

Here's your hat...

Maybe you should leave the country sometime. You'll find out that the
cheese and Olympic TV coverage do suck. I like the beer though.

Old February 12th 06, 06:01 PM

BrritSki wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

ant wrote:

Nix wrote:

I agree. It must be one of the most physically taxing sports going. I
have just watched the ladies moguls and ski jump section of the
Olympics and it was brilliant.

Sadly, you saw a bunch of US also-rans and a smattering of non-US.
The end result bore no resemblance to who actually skiied and
competed. It was an absolute disgrace.

Yeah, ant, that's because everything sucks in this country, from the
beer to the cheese to the tee vee coverage.

Here's your hat...

I guess you didn't see much of the downhill today then

I haven't seen any of it; it won't be on until 7 pm. NO SPOILERS
DAMMIT!!!!!!!

Old February 12th 06, 06:25 PM

The thought that occurred to me the other day was that most of the
Winter Games sports are sports where you can get seriously hurt or even
killed. In the Summer Games, offhand, the sports that I can think of
where realistic potential for serious injury is in the mix are
equestrian sports, whitewater kayaking, diving, vault from gymnastics,
and pole vault from track and field. Other sports -- soccer/football,
basketball, running events -- what you get there is a boo-boo, let's
face it. An ACL tear is a boo-boo compared to landing on your head from
a bad pole vault or having a horse land on top of you.

Contrast that with the winter games, where put-you-in-a-basket potential
is the rule, not the exception, in the sports selections. Bobsled,
luge, skeleton, ski jumping, alpine skiing...World Of Hurt sports. When
the kind of injuries you can get in ice hockey and figure skating
(landing on your head! great!) are comparatively tame, you know you've
got some real sports.

Old February 12th 06, 08:03 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

ant wrote:

It was an absolute disgrace.

Yeah, ant, that's because everything sucks in this country, from the
beer to the cheese to the tee vee coverage.

Not everything sucks.

But she's absolutely correct re network Olympic TV coverage.

Not to mention the cheese (she's correct about that, too) nor to mention
the beer (she's correct about that, too; at least re any mass produced
beer [like that boutique wannabe S. Adams.])

I'm sure you'll agree upon reflection, given that you've experienced the
world alternative offerings in each case.

Are the Jamaican's entered?
Old February 12th 06, 08:05 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:
The thought that occurred to me the other day was that most of the
Winter Games sports are sports where you can get seriously hurt or even
killed. In the Summer Games, offhand, the sports that I can think of
where realistic potential for serious injury is in the mix are
equestrian sports, whitewater kayaking, diving, vault from gymnastics,
and pole vault from track and field. Other sports -- soccer/football,
basketball, running events -- what you get there is a boo-boo, let's
face it. An ACL tear is a boo-boo compared to landing on your head from
a bad pole vault or having a horse land on top of you.

Had a guy get speared with a javelin not too long ago. Of course he was
an official, so it hardly counts...