Driving from Alta to Heavenly

Old October 25th 04, 05:29 PM
Dmitry

"Walt" wrote

I thought car rental companies frowned on the use of chains,

Yes they do. They also frown on driving on unpaved (dirt) roads.
What they don't know won't hurt them. But you could be in trouble if
they find out.

This is quite strange, chains/cables are, among other things, a safety
device. I'd imagine rental companies will get suied in a blink of an eye
if they prohibit chain installation..

apparently real made-out-of-real-chain chains don't fit in the
wheel-wells of modern cars.

I think it depends on the car.

A lot of expensive cars, esp. with sport package/big wheels don't
have enough clearence for chains. But cheaper ones that are
the bulk of what rental companies offer should not be a problem.

Old October 25th 04, 05:34 PM
Dmitry

"lal_truckee" wrote

What is the deal with chains? I'm from Australia, but live in London, and as it rarely snows in both places, I have never really
driven in snow..

At what point should you put them on? If there is 2 inches of snow on the ground is it really necessary to fit them at that
point?

The Highway people will tell you - they will set chain required signs. Generally on the highway The Highway people are accurate
about need, so don't put on chains until you see the chains required sign. Ignore the doofusses who will be putting chains on
ahead of need - they will end up driving miles on pavement and ruining their chains.

The only car accident that I've been in was when I didn't have chains
and drove off the parking lot at Kirkland (or was it Squaw?) to
find out that the road consists of a layer of ice coverd by one inch
of snow. Rear-ended my friend who was in front of me, lost control
of his car and hit a snow pile, blocking the road for me. I couldn't
even steer into the snow pile, stopping was out of question.

Old October 25th 04, 05:35 PM
Dmitry

"Walt" wrote

At what point should you put them on? If there is 2 inches of snow on the
ground is it really necessary to fit them at that point?

Nah. Just rent a four wheel drive SUV. You'll be invincible. (c:

Right on, invincible like all the other ones you can usually find
in the forest upside down when driving to and from the mountain

Old October 25th 04, 05:38 PM
Dmitry

"lal_truckee" wrote

needed chains. Since it's a long way and all pretty much the same exposure, so if chains were required accross Nevada it'd
probably be for 200+ miles; you don't want to do that: hole up in a motel and wait a day - it'll melt.

I can't believe you said that! "Chains required" condition on I-80 is
a VERY GOOD THING, and you should be driving your wheels off
to get to the mountain ASAP, and NOT holing up in a hotel. Ugh!

Old October 25th 04, 06:01 PM
Terry Morse

AH wrote:

What is the deal with chains? I'm from Australia, but live in London, and
as it rarely snows in both places, I have never really driven in snow..

At what point should you put them on? If there is 2 inches of snow on the
ground is it really necessary to fit them at that point?

In California, unless you have a 4WD, you put on chains when the
highway folks tell you to. Here's the state's Winter Driving page:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wntrdriv.htm

Note that every vehicle must carry chains, even 4WD with snow tires.
I've been driving in the California mountains for years in a Jeep
and have never put on chains. I still carry some, to show the
Highway Patrol that I have them.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://ski.terrymorse.com/
Old October 25th 04, 06:28 PM
BrritSki

Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

I thought car rental companies frowned on the use of chains,

Yes they do.

That's odd, they give them to you in Geneva

Whether they fit or not is another matter entirely
Old October 25th 04, 06:41 PM
AH

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
AH wrote:
Hi all..

I am going to be skiing at Alta/Snowbird on the 6th and 7th of December,
then driving on the 8th to Heavenly and skiing there for 2 days... Map
point says that it will take about 9 hours, which is fine..

Pap Point is wrong. I figure 10 hours to Truckee when I make the run -
Heavenly is farther. It's a long drive, but doable in a day, but you will
want to make a couple of walk-around stops.

However, what I didn't realise is that this motorway is pretty "high"
(asl) and it seems to snow there.. my question is, how likely is the
highway to be closed, and if it does snow and stay open, how much will
this affect my journey?

Maybe from Carson City to South Shore (Heavenly) you will see snow and
chain control - if it's in the forcast stop off in Reno for cheap chains -
every corner store in town sales chains - expect to pay $25-$30. But by
then you'll know if you need chains, so you will likely save the cost by
not getting them. I've seen only flurries coming accross Nevada; neve
needed chains. Since it's a long way and all pretty much the same
exposure, so if chains were required accross Nevada it'd probably be for
200+ miles; you don't want to do that: hole up in a motel and wait a day -
it'll melt.

Also, I'm hiring a car in LA (we're doing a 3 week trip going out as far
as SLC) and I need to get some snow chains. Just need them to last three
weeks.. anyone got a suggestion about where to buy some cheap ones?

Man, more than 10 hours.. thats going to kill me.. gonna have a 6am start
then I guess.. can't waste an extra day, otherwise that will be one less day
on the slopes..

Old October 25th 04, 06:58 PM
lal_truckee

Dmitry wrote:
"Root" wrote

Costco has cheap chains...as does wal mart I believe. If you don't use them you could take them back to either of them I believe.
If you do use them, sell them on ebay after. I-80 from SLC to reno may get bad but they really don't close it. Its only around
Heavenly that it might get bad. The canyon to alta might be closed to everyone but chains and 4x4 if it keeps up like the past 4
days! yes

Hmm.. Donner Pass surely gets closed once in a while when a big
dump comes in, I was stranded there a couple of times. Where is the
closure point east of Truckee?

Boca and Verdi.

If chains would be required east of the Truckee check point near Boca,
they stop/check cars in Verdi, Nevada.

Cal Trans sets up in Verdi, Nevada, and stops everyone if Donner is
closed and traffic is clogged. If you can work your way to the front of
the pack you can present evidence you live up on the pass and get let
by. Actually it's kind of nice - whole divided highway to yourself.

I wonder how common it is that one state sets up official operations in
another?
Old October 25th 04, 07:02 PM
lal_truckee

Dmitry wrote:
"lal_truckee" wrote

needed chains. Since it's a long way and all pretty much the same exposure, so if chains were required accross Nevada it'd
probably be for 200+ miles; you don't want to do that: hole up in a motel and wait a day - it'll melt.

I can't believe you said that! "Chains required" condition on I-80 is
a VERY GOOD THING, and you should be driving your wheels off
to get to the mountain ASAP, and NOT holing up in a hotel. Ugh!

No, he should hole up elsewhere. It's unsafe to be in the mountains and
specially near the slopes, when the roads are snowed on. I know, since I
live near the slopes and I suffer extremely dangerous conditions every
single time.
Like now. Bummer.

It's criminal; why doesn't the government do something about the weather!
Old October 25th 04, 07:26 PM
Dmitry

"AH" wrote

What is the deal with chains? I'm from Australia, but live in London, and as it rarely snows in both places, I have never really
driven in snow..

At what point should you put them on? If there is 2 inches of snow on the ground is it really necessary to fit them at that
point?

Two things: without them you may just get stuck or you may
loose control and get into an accident.

Some suggestions:
- Try to rent a Subaru or some other 4x4. It can be done but it's
not very common though.
- Be super extra very cautios, it's people who don't have experience
with driving in the snow who get in trouble most of the time.
Really, I'm inclined to repeat this three times because it's that
bad.

As for your actual question.. Whenever it gets icy or there's a
chance for getting ice on the mountain road (around freezing
point conditions), and when it dumps heavily.