lake Tahoe Ski rentals

Old January 24th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike

Default lake Tahoe Ski rentals

Going in Feb. to Tahoe. I am bringing my boots, but am thinking of renting
the skis. I have just taken the boots from New York to Alta, Winter Park and
Jackson Hole. It avoids grief in traveling. I do not want to rent over at
Heavenly or Sierra. Can someone recommend Ski shops in South Tahoe.
Thanks
Mike

Old January 24th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Mike wrote:
I do not want to rent over at
Heavenly or Sierra.

Why? Renting demo skis at a resort allows you to come in several times
and change skis - it's an excellent chance to catch up with
developments. If you rent away from the slope you can't change skis.
Old January 24th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike

The reason is I dont want to get invoved with ski area rental lines and
waits. My own atomics were bought after doing the demo thing. I also want to
ski different areas, and to have to go to the area rental shop each tine,
forgetting about that day, would be crazzy.
Mike

wrote in message
. net...

Old January 24th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Mike wrote:
The reason is I dont want to get invoved with ski area rental lines and
waits. My own atomics were bought after doing the demo thing. I also want to
ski different areas, and to have to go to the area rental shop each tine,
forgetting about that day, would be crazzy.

Wow. Don't know where you've been, but my local's demo shop is separate
from the main rental, uncrowded, and considerate. Willing to chat about
the skis, too. Even so, the best plan would be to arrive early and take
it easy. (P.S. the main rental's pretty quick, also.)
I don't know squat about South Tahoe shops - whole nother world.

Mike

wrote in message
. net...

Old January 24th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:

Mike wrote:

The reason is I dont want to get invoved with ski area rental lines
and waits. My own atomics were bought after doing the demo thing. I
also want to ski different areas, and to have to go to the area rental
shop each tine, forgetting about that day, would be crazzy.

Wow. Don't know where you've been, but my local's demo shop is separate
from the main rental, uncrowded, and considerate. Willing to chat about
the skis, too. Even so, the best plan would be to arrive early and take
it easy. (P.S. the main rental's pretty quick, also.)
I don't know squat about South Tahoe shops - whole nother world.

This is one of those things that vary greatly from place to place. A
crowded resort full of families doing the package thing can have a
rental queue of Disneyesque or Vailesque proportions. Sometimes there's
a separate demo ski desk. Sometimes there isn't. When there isn't, you
don't want to be there.

Observation: the more expensive trendy resorts tend to have all-in-one
rental desks as many of their rental customers are willing to pay more
for "the best" whether they know what it is or not. But, the more more
expensive trendy resorts tend to have slopeside shopping which includes
several ski shops who do rentals/demos.

But it seems the OP is looking for a weekly rental that he can just
throw in the rental car and thereafter act as if they're his own skis.
I have no idea what to recomend, but I'm sure South Lake Tahoe has at
least a dozen places that do weekly rentals. Google?

//Walt

Old January 24th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jan 23, 6:19 pm, "Mike" wrote:
Going in Feb. to Tahoe. I am bringing my boots, but am thinking of renting
the skis. I have just taken the boots from New York to Alta, Winter Park and
Jackson Hole. It avoids grief in traveling. I do not want to rent over at
Heavenly or Sierra. Can someone recommend Ski shops in South Tahoe.

You're right about not renting at the ski resorts (if you're not
demoing). On a busy holiday, the rental line is about one hour at
Sierra, and longer at Heavenly in the morning.

For ski rental at South Lake Tahoe, try Sunrise Ski-Snowboard Rental,
3202 Hwy 50 (west of the agriculture inspection station),
(530)577-3176, good price, if you mention Ichin sent you, you may even
get some discount. While you're at it, you may want to get some
discount lift tickets for Sierra, Kirkwood, or Heavenly, it may save
you half an hour to an hour waiting at ticket windows.

Good luck,
IS

Thanks
Mike