Victor Hugo Pena as a XC Skier

Old July 10th 03, 09:23 PM
Gary Jacobson

Default Victor Hugo Pena as a XC Skier

Tour De France leader Pena was a national level swimmer for Colombia. Must
have a strong upper body.
Legs probably not too wimpy.

What if he could ski?

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old July 10th 03, 10:53 PM
Nathan Schultz

He probably made more money yesterday (from wearing the yellow jersey at
the TdF) than he would in his entire skiing career!

Skiing is an interesting sport in that it seems to put unique demands on
the body. This combined with the technical aspects (added demands of
balance, coordination) make it so not every successful endurance athlete can
pick it up and do well. An example of this is the several Kenyans who have
made real attempts at it, but did not succeed. Davis Phinney had some
success as a skier, but not anything like what he did on the bike.

Pete Vordenberg coached a Kenyan (I forget his name) for more than a
year when he was living in New Mexico. The guy was an elite marathoner and
I think ran sub 2:08 at one point, but even after several years of skiing
and one-on-one coaching with Pete, he had difficulty beating the JII girls
at Spring Series in Sun Valley. Obviously, the guy has the motor, but
something else just didn't click. I think a lot of it is that you have to
ski for many years as you are developing physically in order to train the
muscles, nerves and brain well enough to be world class.

-Nathan
http://nsavage.com

news

Old July 11th 03, 02:15 AM
Serge

I've read about Nike experiment:

They sponsored world -class marathoners from Africa (Camerun, I think)
and ship them to Norway for two years to learn to ski.
I guess, to prove the "just do it" slogan. So they sucked so much they
could've
walk faster than ski. Cost Nike pretty penny. Good. I never liked the
slogan
anyway.
You can not "just do it", you have to work, some times for years.

By the way, Armstrong was a champion swimmer in his school years too.

It is a good cardio base and soooooo boring that if you can exell at
swimming,
everything else is a picnic.
Old July 11th 03, 10:45 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

Serge wrote:

I've read about Nike experiment:

They sponsored world -class marathoners from Africa (Camerun, I think)
and ship them to Norway for two years to learn to ski.
I guess, to prove the "just do it" slogan. So they sucked so much they
could've
walk faster than ski. Cost Nike pretty penny. Good. I never liked the

There were 2 or 3 Kenyans in Finland for quite a while. And in Nagano
that guy was promissing to do some serious ass kicking in SLC. Well
he did... he beat Camerun guy for almost 30 sec on 10km. Not to
mention he was about 20min back from first one.
And biggest stupidity in all this for me is, that Finnish Ski
Federation was paying all their expenses, which include trainers,
equipment etc. And no probably not something else as someone might
suggest ))
It just shows that for skiing you need something else then being
good runner, and looking back on some thread here... Being good
runner doesn't make you good skier and vice versa.
--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing
Old July 11th 03, 10:48 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

Serge wrote:

[...]

And I agree. Just do it is a bit annoying. It makes people think it's
so easy.

Now I'm off for Scandinavia for 3 weeks Have fun during this time

Old July 15th 03, 03:42 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Serge wrote:

By the way, Armstrong was a champion swimmer in his school years too.

It is a good cardio base and soooooo boring that if you can exell at
swimming,
everything else is a picnic.

Just finished listening to his book on tape, which I recently received
as a b-day present. He was apparently a pretty successful triathlete
for a while, before the cycling folks scooped him up. He claims the
upper body was a drawback to his cycling career and actually credits
the cancer with finally stripping it from him. Once he started training
again he was able to rebuild without the upper body and that's when
success really began happening. According to the book anyway. Ok,
so most folks here probably know the Armstrong story far better than I
do... I found it interesting. I liked the book but did not like the
voice they chose to read it on tape. I don't know Lance, but I couldn't
help but feel he was poorly represented by the way the reader delivered
the lines, most or all of which are written in first-person.

-Mitch