Best lessons in Colorado?

Old August 22nd 03, 03:15 AM
Jay Pique

On 22 Aug 2003 02:00:18 GMT, "Monique Y. Herman"
wrote:

Hi all!

As part of my pledge to become a better skier, I'm planning on taking a
lot of lessons this coming season. My question is, which ski schools
in Colorado have most favorably impressed you?

The school of hard knocks.

Also, have you had private lessons that were worth the increased costs?

I do have the Colorado pass, so Breck/Keystone/A-Basin/Vail are going to
be my most-visited spots, but I wouldn't mind checking out other resorts
as well.

Stick around then. Maybe we'll throw together an early season
Tan-o-rama to get things started on the right foot.

When I last took lessons at Vail, maybe 3 years ago, I think they placed
me as a 7 (on a 1-8 scale). I doubt I'd be in that group this season,
though.

I wouldn't worry about lessons right out of the gate. Get your legs
under you for the first couple of months and really crank up your
endurance, and you'll see huge improvements just from that. Then you
can just read all of the expert advice that's given out here on RSA
and you'll automatically become an expert skier.... If you'd like
to become a RealSkier, however, you'll have to move to Utah.

JP
**************************
An unreal skier.

PS - Welcome to SkiCountry Monique!

Old August 22nd 03, 04:35 PM
bdubya

wrote:

Hi all!

As part of my pledge to become a better skier, I'm planning on taking a
lot of lessons this coming season. My question is, which ski schools
in Colorado have most favorably impressed you?

The school of hard knocks.

Also, have you had private lessons that were worth the increased costs?

I do have the Colorado pass, so Breck/Keystone/A-Basin/Vail are going to
be my most-visited spots, but I wouldn't mind checking out other resorts
as well.

Stick around then. Maybe we'll throw together an early season
Tan-o-rama to get things started on the right foot.

!!!!! Conditions permitting, I believe my girl and I might be
interested.....but how is the tanning in the early season? Enough snow
and it won't matter, but still...

bw
and the Zywiec will be cold regardless

Old August 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 22 Aug 2003 22:00:01 GMT, Kurt Knisely penned:
In article , Monique Y. Herman says...

On 22 Aug 2003 03:15:02 GMT, Jay Pique penned:
... Then you
can just read all of the expert advice that's given out here on RSA
and you'll automatically become an expert skier.... If you'd like
to become a RealSkier, however, you'll have to move to Utah.

Hehe. I have an aunt in Park City who's already on me to plan a visit
this winter. I remember adoring Solitude several years ago ...

Great, I'm reserving my early season tickets now. Where are you planning on
skiing in the Wasatch Back? $215 for a 5-pack to The Canyons, $175 for a 5-pack
to PCMR, and $235 for a 5-pk to Deer Valley. $198 for a 6-pack to Solitude.
Have your auntie get a few coupons for you.

You know, there is no solitude in Park City.

Good point. But Solitude is much closer to Park City than it is to
Boulder. IIRC, it's pretty reasonable to wake up in the morning in Park
City and go skiing in Solitude. Not so much from Boulder.

I have no idea what my Utah itinerary would be, outside of the fact that
I'd like to go to Solitude again. Guess I'd better confer with my aunt.

I have no doubt that athletics and endurance will help me a ton, but I
don't know that they'll get me out of my habit of sliding my tails
rather than turning properly ...

Well, if you tele'ed...

Well, if I tele'd, I suppose my thighs would be formed of steel cords.

My knees are pretty cranky ... it has always looked to me like tele
skiing would be a lot rougher on my knees than the locked-in version --
any truth to that?

Boulder is Ski Country?

Well, I moved to Boulder from Virginia. In comparison? Hell, yeah,
it's ski country!

--
monique

Old August 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
Janet Cicariello-Cook

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote:

Hi all!

As part of my pledge to become a better skier, I'm planning on taking a
lot of lessons this coming season. My question is, which ski schools
in Colorado have most favorably impressed you?

Also, have you had private lessons that were worth the increased costs?

I do have the Colorado pass, so Breck/Keystone/A-Basin/Vail are going to
be my most-visited spots, but I wouldn't mind checking out other resorts
as well.

When I last took lessons at Vail, maybe 3 years ago, I think they placed
me as a 7 (on a 1-8 scale). I doubt I'd be in that group this season,
though.

--
monique

Hi Monique,

Can't help you with specific ski schools in CO since I'm from NJ, although
I did take a 3 hr private lesson with Erik Steinberg in Steamboat a few
years ago. Great Lesson!

I have taken several private lessons. I find that I get much more out of a
private lesson than a group lesson. Group lessons tend to be fairly generic
(i.e., at level X we teach this skill...). In a private lesson you can
work *specifically* on whatever problem you are having or on what skill
*you* want to learn that day. Also, when you book a private lesson, you can
tell them what you're looking for in an instructor - do you want someone
with a lot of patience, a psychologist, a "coach" that will really push
you, etc....

For me, it's worth the extra money.

I would recommend that you ski a few times before taking lessons just to
get your "ski legs" back after the off season (I don't mean conditioning,
just getting used to skiing again after a several month layoff)

Janet

Old August 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
Kneale Brownson

Chester Bullock wrote This raises a
question from me. My wife wants to do one of those
women's weekend things. Anyone (or their wives) have experience with
these here in Colorado? I'd like to give her that for Xmas...

I have several female ski friends, including fellow instructors, who
have participated in various women's-only ski training programs and
found them particularly helpful and fun. I've watched a couple of
these events and seen both improvement and enjoyment.

Old August 23rd 03, 05:05 PM

You may want to consider buying some bookes or videos by Harald Harb:
http://www.harbskisystems.com/

"Chester Bullock" wrote in message
"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in
:

[...]

Tenxible Solutions - Tangible, Flexible
Website Hosting, Design and Marketing
http://www.tenxible.com
Do you really own your domain name? Find out
with our free domain name research report.
http://www.tenxible.com

Old August 24th 03, 04:10 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On 23 Aug 2003 16:50:14 GMT, Kneale Brownson penned:
Chester Bullock wrote This raises a
question from me. My wife wants to do one of those
women's weekend things. Anyone (or their wives) have experience with
these here in Colorado? I'd like to give her that for Xmas...

I have several female ski friends, including fellow instructors, who
have participated in various women's-only ski training programs and
found them particularly helpful and fun. I've watched a couple of
these events and seen both improvement and enjoyment.

Ooh, even instructors? I take it, then, that these are serious
improvement-oriented clinics rather than some marketing gimmick designed
to help rich women spend their money?

Not to sound cynical ...

How do they handle the different ability levels? Different groups for
different levels, just all happening to be women?

--
monique

Old August 25th 03, 03:35 AM
Janet Cicariello-Cook

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote:

[...]

A couple of my friends have taken women only clinics and really enjoyed them
and learned a lot. As Chet said, even the instructors are women. Skiers are
grouped according to ability.

Janet

Old August 25th 03, 02:30 PM
Bob Lee

Default Best lessons in Colorado?

Monique Y. Herman said:

Well, if I tele'd, I suppose my thighs would be formed of steel cords.

That, and you'd be more attractive. This has been proven scientifically,
many times over. Also, snowboarders will talk with you.

My knees are pretty cranky ... it has always looked to me like tele
skiing would be a lot rougher on my knees than the locked-in version --
any truth to that?

No, I believe tele is easier on your knees. Really, I'm serious. Harder on
your thighs/quads, but the knee is stronger when flexed. It's anecdotal but
I've heard a number of reports from people with bad knees that said when
they finally gave tele a try it was easier on the knees than fixed heel. Of
course YMMV, but I don't think bum knees are an automatic tele DQ. It may
depend on the nature of your knees' crankiness.

Boulder is Ski Country?

Well, I moved to Boulder from Virginia. In comparison? Hell, yeah,
it's ski country!

Well, at least you can see ski country from Boulder.

Bob

Old August 25th 03, 02:30 PM
Bob Lee

Monique Y. Herman said:

[...]

In Colorado For A Ski Trip??? Visit Crested Butte Colorado!!!!! PaulC General 0 February 21st 04 07:35 PM
Learning Moguls - Lessons?? jim Alpine Skiing 6 January 8th 04 11:22 PM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 0 November 18th 03 04:27 AM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 7 November 12th 03 03:59 PM
Colorado or Banff? In December-January Serena Snowboarding 4 July 22nd 03 03:19 PM