mountain skiing in Europe next week?

Old March 18th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Anton Duchkov

Default mountain skiing in Europe next week?

Dear all,

I am going to France (to Marseille vie Paris) next Wednesday (March 22) and
wanted to spend a couple of days skiing somewhere there but I never tried it
in Europe.

Is there still good snow for skiing and can somebody recommend a good resort
not very far from my route.

Is it possible to get to resorts in Europe by public transportation?

Thank you advance,

Anton

Old March 19th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

Anton Duchkov wrote:
Dear all,

I am going to France (to Marseille vie Paris) next Wednesday (March 22) and
wanted to spend a couple of days skiing somewhere there but I never tried it
in Europe.

Is there still good snow for skiing and can somebody recommend a good resort
not very far from my route.

Is it possible to get to resorts in Europe by public transportation?

Thank you advance,

Anton

The snow apears to be getting better in the Alpes this week, with some
fresh snow falling in France. Most of the high French resorts stay open
until the begining of May and the conditions can be quite good up to
that date. But then again it can be bad.

It is easy to use public transport to get to the resorts. My suggestion
would be to get the train from Paris to Bourg st Maurice and use the
funicular to go upto Les Arcs. It takes about 5 hours during the day and
requires a change at Chambery or 9 hours on the direct sleeper train.
You will have to change stations in Paris from the one from the airport.
The sncf web site (http://www.sncf.fr) is very good for timetable and
reservation. You will need a reservation for the TGV section of the
journey. It is another 6 hours from Bourg st maurice to Marseilles

Contact the Les Arcs tourist office (www.lesarcs.com)for a list of
hotels. You will have to contact the hotels directly since many do not
advertise stays of less than a week.

Enjoy the skiing.

John

Old March 19th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

On Mar 19, 12:13 am, "Anton Duchkov" wrote:
Dear all,

I am going to France (to Marseille vie Paris) next Wednesday (March 22) and
wanted to spend a couple of days skiing somewhere there but I never tried it
in Europe.

Is there still good snow for skiing and can somebody recommend a good resort
not very far from my route.

Is it possible to get to resorts in Europe by public transportation?

Thank you advance,

Anton

From Marseille, the Southern Alps is best. Closest are resorts like

Pra Loup.
Otherwise Serre Chevalier has a large ski area 250+km of slopes,
currently good snow and is about 2.5/3 hours from Marseile airport see
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.295
If you are driving between Paris and Marseille then somewhere close to
Lyon is going to be best. Les Deux Alpes is a glacier resort with good
snow see http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.71

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk

Old March 19th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

On Mar 19, 3:09 pm, wrote:
On Mar 19, 12:13 am, "Anton Duchkov" wrote:

Dear all,

I am going to France (to Marseille vie Paris) next Wednesday (March 22) and
wanted to spend a couple of days skiing somewhere there but I never tried it
in Europe.

Is there still good snow for skiing and can somebody recommend a good resort
not very far from my route.

Is it possible to get to resorts in Europe by public transportation?

Thank you advance,

Anton
From Marseille, the Southern Alps is best. Closest are resorts like

Pra Loup.
Otherwise Serre Chevalier has a large ski area 250+km of slopes,
currently good snow and is about 2.5/3 hours from Marseile airport seehttp://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.295
If you are driving between Paris and Marseille then somewhere close to
Lyon is going to be best. Les Deux Alpes is a glacier resort with good
snow seehttp://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.71

XS
Peak Retreatshttp://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collectionhttp://www.skicollection.co.uk

Forgot to add, for public transport to these ski resorts from Lyon
(Best is to take TGV fast train from Paris to Lyon and then Lyon to
Marseille - it's on same route) have a look at this
http://satobus-alpes.altibus.com/index_en.html