Off to La Grave tomorrow

Old April 3rd 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

Default Off to La Grave tomorrow

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:21:37 +0200, Ace wrote:

Which reminds me - I'm thinking about putting a group together for
some mountain guide action in Engelberg next season - you up for it?

From this distance, definitely.
--
Champ
Old April 3rd 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:38:58 +0100, Champ wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:21:37 +0200, Ace wrote:

Which reminds me - I'm thinking about putting a group together for
some mountain guide action in Engelberg next season - you up for it?

From this distance, definitely.

I'll work on it.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old April 3rd 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Weathercam

We also did a big hiking day from the 'Col du Lautaret' up the
'Glacier de Combeynot'. This was about 1000m of vertical which took
us about 3 hours. The descent was excellent, but I can't help feeling
that hiking up to just ride down again is not my thing. More
helicopter use, perhaps back to Russia, next year, I think.

We stayed at the Skiers Lodge, which I know you've used before. A
great venue, with good food and excellent atmosphere, tho perhaps the
rooms could do with a refurbish (not that I'm bothered by such
things).

Done quite a few day tours from Col du Lauteret area, and a couple of two /
three day
tours over the other valley (Nevache) - loads of other good tours on the
Monetier side as
well.

Montgenevre & Claviere also offer great day tours - did you have another
guide who took you
from La Grave over to Montgenevre, if so who was he?

Did you stay in the Skiers Lodge in La Grave or the original up at Ventelon,
just above La Grave, we've
been staying in the Hotel Edelweiss for quite a few years now.

As for splitboards, they are great if you are with other tourers who are
using splits as you are all in the same
boat, however if it's just you in a group you'll end up being the one
everyone is waiting for, as they can take
a while to put back together, not the best up at 3,400mt in strong winds and
severe windchill. My mate was using
his again this year on our trip and some skiers who were new to our antics
were getting quite ****ed at all the faffing.

Trouble is the only way is hiking on skis, I use my approach skis with
dynafit bindings, but they are a compromise, still
have to carry a board, and in deep powder such as we had this year they are
not too brilliant, but there again the
guys using snowshoes were having a real nightmare.

And did I read it right that the ski club guy is rating their guiding as
equal to a UIAGM................please........

We've still got one more trip, third time for me back up to the Artic
Circle, in Lyngen mid April.

And here's edited highlights from our trip this year which ended up being
more a road trip, rather than traversing
across from valley to valley staying in huts due to the snow conditions.
http://www.baylisg.plus.com/powderquest.wmv

Regards

Old April 3rd 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:24:03 +0100, "Weathercam"
wrote:

Done quite a few day tours from Col du Lauteret area, and a couple of two /
three day
tours over the other valley (Nevache) - loads of other good tours on the
Monetier side as well.

Hmm. Only ever done one overnight in a hut (the Cosmiques), but could
fancy some of that.

Montgenevre & Claviere also offer great day tours - did you have another
guide who took you from La Grave over to Montgenevre, if so who was he?

Nah, Jon Bracey again. He had a map, and cribbed some info from Pelle
etc

Did you stay in the Skiers Lodge in La Grave or the original up at Ventelon,

Skiers Lodge

As for splitboards, they are great if you are with other tourers who are
using splits as you are all in the same
boat, however if it's just you in a group you'll end up being the one
everyone is waiting for, as they can take
a while to put back together, not the best up at 3,400mt in strong winds and
severe windchill. My mate was using
his again this year on our trip and some skiers who were new to our antics
were getting quite ****ed at all the faffing.

Noted, ta.

And did I read it right that the ski club guy is rating their guiding as
equal to a UIAGM................please........

I know Ace quite well, and I'm very sure he wasn't suggesting that at
all.

We've still got one more trip, third time for me back up to the Artic
Circle, in Lyngen mid April.

Enjoy!

And here's edited highlights from our trip this year which ended up being
more a road trip, rather than traversing
across from valley to valley staying in huts due to the snow conditions.
http://www.baylisg.plus.com/powderquest.wmv

Ta.
Regards

--
Champ
Old April 4th 07, 07:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Weathercam

/
three day
tours over the other valley (Nevache) - loads of other good tours on the
Monetier side as well.

Hmm. Only ever done one overnight in a hut (the Cosmiques), but could
fancy some of that.

Looked at your photos, seems you scored really well with the conditions!!!!!

That rapelle looks like down the end of the glacier, where you have two
options if I can recall, either Girose or Orciere. With both you end up way
down in the valley below La Grave and Les Freaux, you must have had a bit of
a walk out as I'd imagine there was not a lot of snow right down the bottom.

My mate was guiding over in the Nevache Valley last week when they had all
that snow, it was so deep and light that they had to try and shovel out a
path just to get down, he said he's never ever had to do that - could not go
at any gradient as it was just too unstable.

Old April 4th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:02:36 +0100, "Weathercam"
wrote:

Looked at your photos, seems you scored really well with the conditions!!!!!

Well, the photos always show the best bits, don't they :-) As I said
to a mate, no one ever takes photos of you negotiating moguls the size
of Volkswagens.

That rapelle looks like down the end of the glacier, where you have two
options if I can recall, either Girose or Orciere. With both you end up way
down in the valley below La Grave and Les Freaux, you must have had a bit of
a walk out as I'd imagine there was not a lot of snow right down the bottom.

Actually, we managed to ride very nearly to the rode. The guides had
planned the route (obviously), and left the van parked down below.

My mate was guiding over in the Nevache Valley last week when they had all
that snow, it was so deep and light that they had to try and shovel out a
path just to get down, he said he's never ever had to do that - could not go
at any gradient as it was just too unstable.

"Too much snow" is not an expression one here's too often!

--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old April 4th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

wrote:

And did I read it right that the ski club guy is rating their guiding as
equal to a UIAGM................please........

No, you certainly did not. I actually hit the send button too early,
otherwise that would have been made clear. Apologies for giving the
wrong impression. I knew that Champ would know what I meant, as he's
skied with me several times and club reps at least twice.

What I was trying to say was that we also use our judgement, but that
our guidelines are much more limiting, hence that judgement is only
exercised within well-established boundaries, unlike a UIAGM guide who
can do whatever he sees fit.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old April 4th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

wrote:

And did I read it right that the ski club guy is rating their guiding as
equal to a UIAGM................please........

I know Ace quite well, and I'm very sure he wasn't suggesting that at
all.

Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't quite that badly phrased.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Conditions in La Grave French_Skier European Ski Resorts 2 March 14th 07 06:38 PM
La Grave / Alpe D'Huez trip report & that helmet debate Weathercam European Ski Resorts 0 January 19th 07 09:30 PM
La Grave Champ Snowboarding 3 December 21st 06 04:03 PM
It's snowing in La Grave WeatherCam European Ski Resorts 1 January 18th 05 01:28 PM
ACL recon tomorrow elb Snowboarding 16 August 27th 03 11:01 PM