OT- PING Jay Pique

Old January 13th 05, 09:13 PM
Jay

Default OT- PING Jay Pique

1. GO into bios.. go to drive area and say to automatically find hard
drive. save and reboot.

If the drive will not boot.. then see that it boots the cd first (in
the bios) and put the xp disc in the drive and boot. You dont need a
repair disc. keep progressing until it gets to where it ask if you want
to repair. If it gets there it sees and old copy of xp on the
drive.(drive may not be broken) ..It is a good while into the process
that the repair option is available not up front.(of course do not tell it
to format the disc)

Say yes.. it will reinstall the operating system portion and save the
data, desktop and settings.

If this fails it is the hard drive..proceed to #2

2. Put the HD in the freezer for a couple hours.. then reinstall and it may
boot. NO KIDDING..

luck!

Old January 14th 05, 08:07 PM
Jay Pique

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:13:11 GMT, Jay wrote:

1. GO into bios.. go to drive area and say to automatically find hard
drive. save and reboot.

If the drive will not boot.. then see that it boots the cd first (in
the bios) and put the xp disc in the drive and boot. You dont need a
repair disc. keep progressing until it gets to where it ask if you want
to repair. If it gets there it sees and old copy of xp on the
drive.(drive may not be broken) ..It is a good while into the process
that the repair option is available not up front.(of course do not tell it
to format the disc)

Say yes.. it will reinstall the operating system portion and save the
data, desktop and settings.

If this fails it is the hard drive..proceed to #2

2. Put the HD in the freezer for a couple hours.. then reinstall and it may
boot. NO KIDDING..

Thanks much - I'll try just that.

I'd be interested in the physics behind the whole cryogenic thing!

JP
Old January 15th 05, 12:56 AM
The Real Bev

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

It causes the molecules to crowd closer together so the data don't have
to leap as far. Have your backup plan ready so it will be accomplished
by the time the drive warms up.

My husband and son are physicists, so I know what I'm talking about.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 15th 05, 03:17 AM
snoig

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I have heard that if you are having problems with the bearings getting
worn out, it shrinks them so the disk can spin more easily. I have also
heard that it is complete and utter BS. Personally, I tend to believe the
latter.

snoig

Old January 15th 05, 02:15 PM
uglymoney

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:56:09 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

You have no idea what you are talking about and the your statement
above proves that beyond a doubt. Thank goodness people like you and
your husband have laws to follow. Otherwise we'd all be screwed.

This fix is actually derived from the classic military test chamber
which heats, cools, and shakes the **** out of all the instruments
that eventually make it into the jets that protect all of us in the
USA from a suprise attack by the French air force.

If you freeze an instrument designed to deflect, detect, ward off, or
otherwise keep the French with their bad teeth and puffy sticks of
bread at arms length, and it fails for whatever reason, the law of
common sense requires one to smash the living crap out of it with a
sledgehammer.

The results are really extraordinarily satisfying.

Dr. Sledge

Val D'Isere Sucks
Old January 16th 05, 05:35 AM
The Real Bev

wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

Bite me!

This fix is actually derived from the classic military test chamber
which heats, cools, and shakes the **** out of all the instruments
that eventually make it into the jets that protect all of us in the
USA from a suprise attack by the French air force.

Don't be stupid. As the French are an exceedingly polite (some might
say supercilious, but certainly not I) group they would call ahead first
and make a reservation. There is no chance at all that they would
attempt to sneak in without calling attention to themselves and their
superiority. While we may need to shake the **** out of our military
hardware, protection from French attack is not one of the reasons.

If you freeze an instrument designed to deflect, detect, ward off, or
otherwise keep the French with their bad teeth and puffy sticks of
bread at arms length, and it fails for whatever reason, the law of
common sense requires one to smash the living crap out of it with a
sledgehammer.

The results are really extraordinarily satisfying.

Yes, I can see that. Smashing recalcitrant hardware with any sort of
blunt instrument can be emotionally uplifting. The French even provide
their own blunt instruments -- yesterday's baguette is today's club.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Ping Astro klaus Alpine Skiing 0 December 15th 04 08:49 PM
Ping Ping Walt Alpine Skiing 11 May 14th 04 03:37 PM
Ping: Assholepax, stalking freak and pathological liar. scottabe Alpine Skiing 10 March 22nd 04 02:51 AM
ping Astro pigo Alpine Skiing 7 February 28th 04 04:23 PM
Ping: Sam. Loveland opens! Let Mikey Ski It! Alpine Skiing 1 October 28th 03 11:31 AM