Austrian recommendations?

Old February 1st 05, 12:50 PM
Switters

Default Austrian recommendations?

Any recommendations for Austria? Looking for something quiet, short lift
lines, quiet night-life (or accomodation away from the main spots), good
snow and a good mix of terrain.

St Anton sounded like the obvious choice, but I've heard bad reports about
the crowds.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

Old February 1st 05, 01:01 PM
Ralf Langanke

Switters wrote:
Any recommendations for Austria? Looking for something quiet, short lift
lines, quiet night-life (or accomodation away from the main spots), good
snow and a good mix of terrain.

http://www.lech-zuers.at

HTH
--
Ralf Langanke

http://www.slanganke.de
Old February 1st 05, 02:05 PM
Rob White

We had a great time in St Anton last January. No problem with queues. Good
day out in Lech, just round the corner too - 20 minute bus ride. Go for it!

Rob

Old February 1st 05, 05:04 PM
Champ

On 1 Feb 2005 13:50:51 GMT, Switters wrote:

Any recommendations for Austria? Looking for something quiet, short lift
lines, quiet night-life (or accomodation away from the main spots), good
snow and a good mix of terrain.

I thought you were heading further east :-)
--
Champ
Old February 2nd 05, 05:48 AM
Enotrio Pallanzo

Any recommendations for Austria? Looking for something quiet, short lift
lines, quiet night-life (or accomodation away from the main spots), good
snow and a good mix of terrain.

I love Schladming, Steirische Region. Wide valley, great slopes, wuenderbar
Bier.

Enotrio

P.S.: Though I recommend Schladming, I guess your requirements fit with Bad
Kleinkirchheim too, where Franz Klammer was born.

Old February 2nd 05, 12:30 PM
john elgy

"Switters" wrote in message

Any recommendations for Austria? Looking for something quiet, short lift
lines, quiet night-life (or accomodation away from the main spots), good
snow and a good mix of terrain.

St Anton sounded like the obvious choice, but I've heard bad reports about
the crowds.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

We were in St. Anton this January and the queues were huge, and the red
and blue pistes crowded to danger point. The itineraries were, however
excellent.

John

Old February 2nd 05, 04:47 PM
Guy Perry

Switters wrote:
Any recommendations for Austria? Looking for something quiet, short lift
lines, quiet night-life (or accomodation away from the main spots), good
snow and a good mix of terrain.

St Anton sounded like the obvious choice, but I've heard bad reports about
the crowds.

How about Eastern Tyrol? The areas may be a little smaller but it's
cheap and quiet.

http://www.osttirol-online.at/
Old February 4th 05, 12:30 PM
Switters

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:01:18 GMT, Ralf Langanke
allegedly wrote:

Switters wrote:
Any recommendations for Austria? Looking for something quiet, short
lift lines, quiet night-life (or accomodation away from the main
spots), good snow and a good mix of terrain.

http://www.lech-zuers.at

Crikey things are expensive in Zurs. Looked at the brochures (just for
some ideas), and it's 1.5 to 2 times more expensive than other places. Is
it a real snobs paradise or what?

Old February 4th 05, 12:57 PM
Florian Anwander

Hi Dave

Any recommendations for Austria? Looking for something quiet, short lift
lines, quiet night-life (or accomodation away from the main spots), good
snow and a good mix of terrain.

Others metioned Osttirol (Eastern Tyrol) and Dachstein. Both I can
recommend too (though Dachstein might be full, if there are regional
holidays).

David Mahon mentioned Ellmau/Schöffau/Söll. To my opinion this is
overcrowded by ski-schools from Munich and also the terrain ist mostly
blue-ish (with some exceptions at the Hohe Salve).

I could recommend Wildschönau (www.schatzbergbahn.at,
www.wildschoenau.at, similar to Ellmau/Schöffau/Söll but not that
overcrowded) or Kuehtai (www.kuehtai.co.at, very high, every hotel is
direct on the piste, very secure for snow).

Florian

Old February 4th 05, 05:38 PM
Memascii

Crikey things are expensive in Zurs. Looked at the brochures (just
for
some ideas), and it's 1.5 to 2 times more expensive than other

places. Is
it a real snobs paradise or what?

A Scandanavian bloke in St Anton told me that in Lech you can hire
small
dogs to walk around with. Not sure if he was serious or not.

With regards to St. Anton, we were there between x-mas and new year
this year. It was pretty busy. Problem areas were getting out of the
town
on the Gampen side in the morning or after lunch, and all the home runs

on that side from about 16h00 onwards. The rendle side was always
quiet.

Iain.
onwards.

Iain.