French Pyrennees - ski station recommendations?

Old January 6th 05, 08:14 PM
Sue

In message , Steve Haigh
writes

And long may the level of content here continue to provide a
civilised
alternative to the rantings of US-focused newsgroups.

Post at the bottom, ****ing newbie scum ;-)

Sir, you are no gentleman.

Art thou familair with the term "whooooshh!"?

Didst thou not note the smiley?

You can't swear in here, smiley or no smiley.
If you want to swear you can do it in the group next door.

It would appear irony is not tolerated either...

TOG has been treating us to his colourful prose for so long now it
would be a shame for it to stop. Just as long as the kids don't start
picking it up. Perhaps those liable to be offended should just
kill-file him. He never has anything useful to say anyway;-) (do any of
us?).

He's been known to have the odd troll, too.
I've used the same one on him before and he didn't swallow it, I don't
know what happened to him this time!

--
Sue ];(

Nothing useful posted since 1993
Old January 6th 05, 09:28 PM
The Older Gentleman

Sue wrote:

I've used the same one on him before and he didn't swallow it, I don't
know what happened to him this time!

Gerrahtuvvit. ;-)

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old January 7th 05, 09:19 AM
Champ

Who ****ing sez so?
--
Champ
Old January 7th 05, 07:36 PM
Sue

In message , Champ
writes
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:55:08 +0000, Sue wrote:

You can't swear in here, smiley or no smiley.

Who ****ing sez so?

This is the saloon group - next door you'll find one that's all too
public. Our beer's better too.

--
Sue ];(
Old January 7th 05, 09:04 PM
The Older Gentleman

Sue wrote:

In message , Champ
writes
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:55:08 +0000, Sue wrote:

You can't swear in here, smiley or no smiley.

Who ****ing sez so?

This is the saloon group - next door you'll find one that's all too
public. Our beer's better too.

No crib boards in the public......

Old January 31st 05, 11:06 PM
Dr Alan Hart

Thought I should point out that Ryanair now fly to Pau. Probably closer
than Toulouse to Le Tourmalet.

I'm going to be there 13/14 Feb - one skier, one high intermediate
snowboarder, one low intermediate snowboarder and one beginner
snowboarder. Anyone got any recommendations between Cauterets,
Luz-Ardiden and Tourmalet?

The return from La Mongie to Bareges looks tricky on a board - see map
below. Anyone remember how this works in practice? Note, the yellow
lifts are drags.

http://www.tourmalet.fr/Plan%20du%20...02004-2005.pdf

Thanks in advance

Alan

PS

For reference, here are the other two I'm asking about:
http://www.luz.org/luz.org/actu/news...135b09fb5 66f
(click "plan des pistes")
http://www.cauterets.com/hiver/neige/domaine.asp
Old February 1st 05, 06:48 AM
The Older Gentleman

Dr Alan Hart wrote:

The return from La Mongie to Bareges looks tricky on a board - see map
below. Anyone remember how this works in practice? Note, the yellow
lifts are drags.

It's easy: there are chairlift links all the way. You've got it wrong:
the black lines are lifts and the yellow lines are runs.

I'll be there from Friday 11 Feb.....

Old February 2nd 05, 12:18 AM
Dr Alan Hart

The Older Gentleman wrote:
It's easy: there are chairlift links all the way. You've got it wrong:
the black lines are lifts and the yellow lines are runs.

Er, sorry, that wasn't very clear of me: yes, the black lines are lifts,
but they carry a coloured square to indicate the type of lift. And the
yellow squares are drags. The orange squared lifts are chairs and the
blue one is a gondola.

So... how do you cross from La Mongie? I guess you use the green and
then blue stretch that connects the top of chair 22 to the top of 19 to
the 2106m point. Must be downhill from the top of 22.

Anyway, I'm encouraged by what you said - thanks...

Alan
Old February 2nd 05, 06:34 AM
The Older Gentleman

The Older Gentleman wrote:
It's easy: there are chairlift links all the way. You've got it wrong:
the black lines are lifts and the yellow lines are runs.

Er, sorry, that wasn't very clear of me: yes, the black lines are lifts,
but they carry a coloured square to indicate the type of lift. And the
yellow squares are drags. The orange squared lifts are chairs and the
blue one is a gondola.

So... how do you cross from La Mongie? I guess you use the green and
then blue stretch that connects the top of chair 22 to the top of 19 to
the 2106m point. Must be downhill from the top of 22.

Anyway, I'm encouraged by what you said - thanks...

The map doesn't make it very clear. Lift 19 takes you to the 2160 point
and then you take one of the two drags (23) and then you can go down
(choice of red or blue, but blue initially) all the way to the bottom of
31.

However, a quicker way is lift 19, the new high-speed chair, and from
the top of that it's downhill all the way to Super Bareges, Tournaboup
and even on to Bareges village.

Old February 7th 05, 03:41 PM
Alan Hart

Another question about the Pyrenees resorts.

I think I'm going to be snowboarding in Cauterets one day and Bareges/La
Mongie another, i.e. 2 days total. Current hypothesis is that we will
rent in Cauterets.

Has anyone used the ski/snowboard rental services around there? Can you
rent at the slope or do you need to do it beforehand in a town? And do
you have to book? I've been spoilt by US resorts where the equipment
rental is always right next to the lift pass booth.

Thanks

Alan