it's not all that bad

Old February 21st 06, 01:47 PM

Default it's not all that bad

Way back in time the Norwegians demanded that nordic combined was put
up as a world champ and olympic sport because "to be a true skier you
must master both jumping and cross country". Then the norwegians
dominated that sport for many championships but hey: in 2003 world
championships one USA skier John SPILLANE won GOLD! isn't that great?
Kris Freeman, Carl Swenson (and more?) have done quite well since
WC2003 and later. USA is doing quite well.

So, the "tragic" olympics for norway... Is it really that bad? at the
moment Norway has 18 medals. only topped by Germany that has 20. Only
two of these 18 medals are gold but still - silver and bronze is very
close to gold when considering up to 99 starters in some races. So
norway is way up in the absolute top. It's just that the gold is silver
now.. The 15k classic went to hell and further but I know that the
norwegian skiers in that race are gold candidated if the waxing was not
fu..ed up.

So it looks good. Maybe some US readers can enlighten us on USA skiing
performance this olympics compared to others.

Old February 21st 06, 02:06 PM

just a curiosity.
looking through olympic sportlist and teamlist I see that Norway has no
contestants in: bobsleigh, figure skating, ice hockey, luge and short
track.
And only two in freestyle (mogules) and one in skeleton.
What is left :-)

Then I wonder, what nations participates in all sports?