Bindings

Old January 4th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean

Default Bindings

Hi All,

I have a Salomon Link with some older K2 Plasma 10 bindings that need
to be replaced. Do any of you have any suggestions for a
replacement? I freeride only and am looking for something that is a
little forgiving and not too rigid. I have looked at the Flow setup
and like the in/out design but I have heard that they do not collapse
making travel a bit tough.

Does anyone have any insight on who is putting out the best product?

thanks,

Sean
Old January 4th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Jan 3, 9:34*pm, Sean wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Salomon Link with some older K2 Plasma 10 bindings that need
to be replaced. *Do any of you have any suggestions for a
replacement? *I freeride only and am looking for something that is a
little forgiving and not too rigid. *I have looked at the Flow setup
and like the in/out design but I have heard that they do not collapse
making travel a bit tough.

By "travel," do you mean in a car, or on a plane? If you detach the
strap -- something you wouldn't do in day-to-day use, but is OK for
traveling -- you can push the Flow highback down farther, making it
easier to pack and ship your board. If you don't do that, you are
correct that the Flows create larger "humps" on the board than strap
bindings. Still, I've found that they will fit through the typical
automobile trunk-rear seat pass-through.

Does anyone have any insight on who is putting out the best product?

I have the Ride SPi's, which I like a lot. Good for freeriding,
although the aluminum base is probably more rigid than some of the
plastic models available.

Joe Ramirez

Old January 4th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean

On Jan 3, 11:09*pm, wrote:
On Jan 3, 9:34*pm, Sean wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I was not sure if the highback would
collapse enough for safe transport on a plane, so you have answered my
question!

I don't mind the aluminum base, as my K2 is same construction...but
the plasmas do have a rubber padding that has *some* damping effects
on vibrations/chatter.

I will look into the Spi line.

Anyone heard from lonerider/Arvin? Used to see his opinions here
quite often, along with Neil. This group seems to have become quiet
with the exception of the MI5 nonsense.

Thanks again,

Sean
Old January 4th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Jan 4, 12:04*am, Sean wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:09*pm, wrote:

On Jan 3, 9:34*pm, Sean wrote:

[...]

A couple of years ago, we flew to Calgary and I put two complete sets
of gear, mine and my son's, into one snowboard bag. We both had Flow
bindings at the time, so I took both sets completely off the boards
and labeled every single part so I could reassemble everything
properly at the hotel. Very annoying on the whole. With just one
board in a bag, you wouldn't need to do all that.

I don't mind the aluminum base, as my K2 is same construction...but
the plasmas do have a rubber padding that has *some* damping effects
on vibrations/chatter.

I will look into the Spi line.

The SPi's have nice rubber pads over the alum. base. I think most Ride
bindings have these; not sure if they all do.

Joe Ramirez
Old January 4th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean

A couple of years ago, we flew to Calgary and I put two complete sets
of gear, mine and my son's, into *one snowboard bag. We both had Flow
bindings at the time, so I took both sets completely off the boards
and labeled every single part so I could reassemble everything
properly at the hotel. *Very annoying on the whole. With just one
board in a bag, you wouldn't need to do all that.

I don't mind the aluminum base, as my K2 is same construction...but
the plasmas do have a rubber padding that has *some* damping effects
on vibrations/chatter.

I will look into the Spi line.

The SPi's have nice rubber pads over the alum. base. I think most Ride
bindings have these; not sure if they all do.

Joe Ramirez- Hide quoted text -

Heh....luckily my wife is a skiier, so we each have our own gear bag.

Thanks again for the reply. If anyone else has any opinions to share,
please post!

Sean
Old January 7th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 05:04:20 GMT, Sean allegedly
wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I was not sure if the highback would
collapse enough for safe transport on a plane, so you have answered my
question!

I put my boots into the bindings for packing. So I don't really care how
well they pack down or anything.

Where are you packing your boots?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old January 7th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean[_2_]

. ..
wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I was not sure if the highback would
collapse enough for safe transport on a plane, so you have answered my
question!

I put my boots into the bindings for packing. So I don't really care how
well they pack down or anything.

Where are you packing your boots?

- Dave.

Hi Dave,

I was unsure if the the Flow highback would collapse forward, but they do.
I usually put my boots in my travel bag, between the bindings, not actually
*in* the bindings. I would think this would make my bag rather bulkly and
tall for airline handling.

Sean

Old January 8th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:09:02 GMT, "Sean" allegedly
wrote:

I was unsure if the the Flow highback would collapse forward, but they
do. I usually put my boots in my travel bag, between the bindings, not
actually *in* the bindings. I would think this would make my bag
rather bulkly and tall for airline handling.

Ah - It sounds like you're leaving your bindings on the board and putting
the whole lot into a board bag. I remove my bindings, put the boots in
them and pack them on their side. Obviously you then need to pack a tool
to do the bindings back up, but then you carry one anyway don't you? :-)

Old January 5th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen[_2_]

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:34:20 -0800, Sean wrote:

I have a Salomon Link with some older K2 Plasma 10 bindings that need to
be replaced. Do any of you have any suggestions for a replacement? I
freeride only and am looking for something that is a little forgiving
and not too rigid.

You could consider Wed'ze FR6 binding. Cheap but good. They also have a
FR9, but that one is designed for their FR9 board, which is very stiff.

I have looked at the Flow setup and like the in/out
design but I have heard that they do not collapse making travel a bit
tough.

For quick in/out bindings, I would recommend looking at the ones from K2.
Still the straps instead of the cap for more feel but with the easy in/out.

--
Bas.