Advice for new boarder please...

Old February 18th 04, 04:39 PM
codepoit

Default Advice for new boarder please...

"Andy T" wrote in message

I go down the hill both ways at the moment, swapping as I go and the
bindings are set just as the previous owner had them. My feet are toeing
away from each other slightly and if I ride goofy the length of board in
front of my front (right) foot is less than at the back of the board. I'm
not sure if any of this even matters! Any advice is much appreciated.

It sounds to me like the previous owner was riding regular. I say this
because you say when you are riding it goofy, the tail end has "more
length." The part of the board that has more apparent length to it should
be facing down the mountain (front of the board). In addition, it also
sounds like he has the bindings setup in a duck stance, as the toes of
each foot face away from each other. If you are still unsure about what
stance you will ride, I would leave the bindings set the way they are as
far as the angles go.

To answer the question if there is a front or back of the board: Yes and no.
There is no difference in the board itself, but the longer end should be
facing down the mountain when you are riding, unless you are riding switch.
You will probably find that you will have more control over your board
if you shift the bindings back (towards the longer end of the board in your
case),
so that when you are strapped in with your right foot forward, that side of
the board should appear to be longer.

That may sound confusing...hehe, but I know what I mean

Good luck, and most importantly: Have FUN!!!

Old February 20th 04, 04:15 PM
Tim Sampson

"Andy T" wrote in
:

Also - how often do you wax a board?

About once a week or more often if you are dedicated.

Cheers
Tim
Old February 20th 04, 06:13 PM
Jason Watkins

I disagree with some of this.

Not all boards, but some boards do have a different nose and tail. The
nose will be a little longer.

For a beginner, I think it's best to set the bindings as close to the
center as you can along the length of the board. If you're to close to
the nose or to close to the tail, you'll end up learning an odd
technique that you'll have to unlearn later. One of my friends is just
now going through this.

Go ahead and ride with whatever stance feels comfortable, goofy or
regular. At some point you might decide to switch. If you need to,
you'll know. Until then, don't worry about it. My girlfriend switched
midway through her beginner days.
Old February 27th 04, 05:22 AM
Sharkie

Tim Sampson wrote in message .2...
Also - how often do you wax a board?

About once a week or more often if you are dedicated.

Well, it rather depends on how often do you ride, as well as
snow conditions. A better approach would be to wax it every
certain number of riding days, f.ex. every 3 or 5 riding days.
Old February 27th 04, 10:57 AM
Werner Jacobi

Sharkie wrote:

Well, it rather depends on how often do you ride, as well as
snow conditions. A better approach would be to wax it every
certain number of riding days, f.ex. every 3 or 5 riding days.

On many Boards you can actually see it when it needs a wax job.
The base of my board is light blue and it turns into a lighter shade
when the wax is gone - I guess it's harder to notice on a board with a
white base..

--
Werner Jacobi
nichtrauscherzone studio

Old February 29th 04, 03:22 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

Tim Sampson wrote in

message
.2...
Also - how often do you wax a board?

Waxing can be a near religious experience for some, for
others its just considered a waste of time and money.

Personally, I wax often, rarely going past 3 riding
days. IMHO, comparing two freshly waxed boards, the
one that is taken care of regularly will be the
better ride as well. I also think that a well waxed
board is just as important for a beginner. Its not
just about going faster down the fall line, but making
turning easier too.

But getting a good wax is not an easy thing. There are
times I'm just busy (or lazy) and leave my board with
a shop (usually the same one). The quality of the job
varies tremendously. Who was doing it. Was it a busy
night. Were they feeling a little tired. Sometimes
it comes back looking just like I did it. Sometimes
it comes back looking more like the 1st grade art class
worked on it. And this from a shop than on average does
a pretty good job.

The same applies when you are just learning how to do it
yourself. It took me about a full season before things
were consistently coming out good.

Advice needed on Burton Cascade and Nitro Shogun Arne Aas Snowboarding 23 April 12th 05 10:16 AM
any boot advice? ex Snowboarding 5 March 16th 05 04:12 AM
Boarder coach, skier student Chris J. Snowboarding 9 February 10th 04 07:49 PM
Advice for learner re. stance? Tom Snowboarding 7 December 17th 03 02:04 PM
Mt. Bachelor Advice? John Davison Snowboarding 6 November 25th 03 05:07 PM