Early season in St Anton

Old July 16th 03, 07:26 AM
Ralf Langanke

Default Early season in St Anton

Greg Hilton wrote:
Morning all,

anyone got any ideas how St Anton is for snow early in the season? thinking
of a weekend around the middle of December, but would prefer to ski on snow
rather than grass!

The last two seasons were very bad, it's not guaranteed that you can
ski. You have to check snow conditions in early december if you want to
be sure.

cheers
--
Ralf Langanke

http://www.slanganke.de

Old July 16th 03, 08:21 AM
Nigel

Mostly its good, you can ski to town as another posting says last two
seasons were a bit dodgy but they still opened end of November last year!
If your going that time of the year I would wait & see if the storms
arrive & go last minute you wont have a problem with accomoadation that
time .

Nigel

Old July 16th 03, 09:35 AM
Ian Spare

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:21:34 +0200, Nigel wrote:

Mostly its good, you can ski to town as another posting says last two
seasons were a bit dodgy but they still opened end of November last year!
If your going that time of the year I would wait & see if the storms
arrive & go last minute you wont have a problem with accomoadation that
time .

good point and good advice, unless you were going with some odd
requirements like rooms for 60 people there's hardly any need to book
that time of year. http://www.tiscover.com will find stuff, when I
lived in Germany I'd not bother to book before Friday morning for the
weekend most times, it doesn't take too long to find free rooms and
good snow as long it's not high season.

Nigel

Old July 16th 03, 09:59 AM
Steve

It's always going to be a gamble at that time of year (and glaciers
don't help as they need snow to fill in the crevases). I read somwhere
(probably in some blurb from a TO) that St Anton gets more snow than
other resorts early in the season. I don't know of any scientific
evidence, but it generaly opens fairly early, especialy considering
it's altitude.

I've skied in St Anton in early December in years gone by and found
the condiitions to be excellent, but apparently it's not been so good
for the last 2 years.

If it's cold enough there will be man-made stuff, and Lech is also
worth a visit, it seems to get a bit more snow than St Anton.

If possible I'dleave it to the last minute. Before Xmas is low season
and there are so many hotels in St Anton you should be able to get a
room at short notice. If it does start dumping you may need to be
quick off the mark though!

Steve

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:33:41 GMT, Greg Hilton wrote:

Morning all,

anyone got any ideas how St Anton is for snow early in the season? thinking
of a weekend around the middle of December, but would prefer to ski on snow
rather than grass!

cheers,

Greg

~ If emailing, please use: Steve_A_Haigh
~ @
~ hotmail.com
~
Old July 16th 03, 04:45 PM
mike

"Steve" wrote in message
It's always going to be a gamble at that time of year

If possible I'dleave it to the last minute. Before Xmas is low season
and there are so many hotels in St Anton you should be able to get a
room at short notice.

Yes, but..
Will all the hotels be open up to Xmas?
Having skied in early december last year, ending up in Zermatt - grreat snow
:-), seemed that lots of hotels weren't open in Zermatt and seemed that no
hotels were open in say Chamonix :-( according to web sites and a phone call
to Val Thorens TO showed that accomodation there was amazingly sparce.
Hoping to do same this year in December but appreciate advice on opinions on
hotels open at that time...
Cheers
Mike

Old July 16th 03, 06:30 PM
Steve

mike wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

It's always going to be a gamble at that time of year

If possible I'dleave it to the last minute. Before Xmas is low season
and there are so many hotels in St Anton you should be able to get a
room at short notice.

Yes, but..
Will all the hotels be open up to Xmas?
Having skied in early december last year, ending up in Zermatt - grreat snow
:-), seemed that lots of hotels weren't open in Zermatt and seemed that no
hotels were open in say Chamonix :-( according to web sites and a phone call
to Val Thorens TO showed that accomodation there was amazingly sparce.
Hoping to do same this year in December but appreciate advice on opinions on
hotels open at that time...
Cheers
Mike

That's a good point, hotel's won't open until they can be sure of
guests. Perhaps self catering would be a better bet?

Old July 17th 03, 09:32 AM
Ian Spare

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:30:07 +0100, Steve
wrote:

mike wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Self-catering? In Austria ? For the weekend ? You are joking I
presume? :-)

I can't say I've ever had a problem finding hotels in Austria early or
late season, after all so there's so many.

I've no idea what Greg really had in mind, but I'd have thought
booking flights now while they're cheaper was a good bet and not
bothering with a hotel until a few days before would be just fine.
There's always glaciers anyway like Stubai et al.

Ian

Old July 21st 03, 03:37 PM
Greg Hilton

Ian Spare wrote in
:

I've no idea what Greg really had in mind, but I'd have thought
booking flights now while they're cheaper was a good bet and not
bothering with a hotel until a few days before would be just fine.
There's always glaciers anyway like Stubai et al.

that's the dilemma, book a cheaper flight now, or wait until we know where
the snow is ok, and book last minute, and pay more. The later is favourite
at the moment.

regards,

Greg
Old July 22nd 03, 10:02 PM
FredB

Look on http://www.skiclub.co.uk which give historical snow records, etc.

Andy

Greg Hilton wrote:

Morning all,

anyone got any ideas how St Anton is for snow early in the season? thinking
of a weekend around the middle of December, but would prefer to ski on snow
rather than grass!

cheers,

Greg

Condition in St Anton Chris Stringer Snowboarding 1 January 30th 04 09:40 PM
Early 03-04 Ski Deals? Spider General 7 November 25th 03 02:55 PM
Board Season Kicks off Euro Style Greg Snowboarding 0 November 10th 03 08:28 PM
what is the best place to ski in New England early december? Mark Webb Snowboarding 1 August 25th 03 03:40 AM
when does the season start in banff Sam Henderson Snowboarding 1 August 8th 03 04:41 PM