Weird and Tolkienish

Old March 3rd 04, 01:22 PM
Richard Henry

Default Weird and Tolkienish

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message

Mithrandir------------- Richard Henry

I read half of The Hobbitt years ago. I watched all tree of the movies, and
only fell asleep in the second, but I'm no good at Tolkien character and
place names without a program. So I had to look everything up.

Very clever. If I understand my Tolkien references, Mithrandir is Gandalf's
other name.

Old March 3rd 04, 02:45 PM
Dave Stallard

Richard Henry wrote:

Very clever. If I understand my Tolkien references, Mithrandir is Gandalf's
other name.

Yup. That's his Elvish name.

Dave
Old March 3rd 04, 02:57 PM
Walt

AUK snipped

Dave Stallard wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

Very clever. If I understand my Tolkien references, Mithrandir is Gandalf's
other name.

Yup. That's his Elvish name.

Elvis? I don't remember Elvis in the Lotr. Must have dozed off during
that chapter...

obski: Snow, cheese, beer.

--
//-Walt
//
Old March 3rd 04, 03:49 PM
Richard Henry

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:

Very clever. If I understand my Tolkien references, Mithrandir is

Gandalf's
other name.

Yup. That's his Elvish name.

So is Richard Henry my real name, or just Elvish?

Old March 3rd 04, 03:50 PM
Richard Henry

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message
news
Totally ripped on a fresh run of Romulan Ale, "Richard Henry"
accosted it's tormenter:

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message
.. .

Mithrandir------------- Richard Henry

I read half of The Hobbitt years ago. I watched all tree of the movies,

and
only fell asleep in the second, but I'm no good at Tolkien character and
place names without a program. So I had to look everything up.

Very clever. If I understand my Tolkien references, Mithrandir is

Gandalf's
other name.

Sure, that was his "High Elfish" name.
The Orcs called him "Asshole" however.

Gee. Even more parallels with RSA Real Life.

Old March 3rd 04, 03:58 PM
Dave Stallard

Olaf Timandahaff wrote:

Totally ripped on a fresh run of Romulan Ale, "Richard Henry"
accosted it's tormenter:

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message
. ..

Mithrandir------------- Richard Henry

I read half of The Hobbitt years ago. I watched all tree of the movies, and
only fell asleep in the second, but I'm no good at Tolkien character and
place names without a program. So I had to look everything up.

Very clever. If I understand my Tolkien references, Mithrandir is Gandalf's
other name.

Sure, that was his "High Elfish" name.

Nope, it's Grey Elven, aka Sindarin. It means "Grey Pilgrim".

Dave
Old March 3rd 04, 04:57 PM
Dick Gozinya

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:36:57 -0500, Olaf Timandahaff
wrote:

Totally ripped on a fresh run of Romulan Ale, Dave Stallard
accosted it's tormenter:

Olaf Timandahaff wrote:

Totally ripped on a fresh run of Romulan Ale, "Richard Henry"
accosted it's tormenter:

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message
m...

Mithrandir------------- Richard Henry

I read half of The Hobbitt years ago. I watched all tree of the movies, and
only fell asleep in the second, but I'm no good at Tolkien character and
place names without a program. So I had to look everything up.

Very clever. If I understand my Tolkien references, Mithrandir is Gandalf's
other name.

Sure, that was his "High Elfish" name.

Nope, it's Grey Elven, aka Sindarin. It means "Grey Pilgrim".

See why I cast myself as the clueless gatekeeper?

Which character would you pick? You could be Legolas.
Looks to me like Spock and Bert are hogging up the really good parts.
Scott could be a Oliephant, too now I think of it. Bert would be a
good lurker in the waters on the west gates of Moria.
Bert could storm the Hornburg, and have Horvath throw Vern93 [gimli]
on his neck. Too bad Peter Jackson didn't know this bunch.
Spock in New Zealand for a protracted period of time, unable to type
inside his Ollyphant Outfit with skis included. What Joy!

Scott & Bert cannot be on LOTR as there is no buggery in the books or
movie(s).

Although Bert could be Grima Wormtongue
Old March 3rd 04, 07:13 PM
Eviel Dewar

Dick Gozinya wrote:

Although Bert could be Grima Wormtongue

Wormtongue is probably the closest actual character to SodomBert:
manipulative, falsely flattering, giver of false counsel, etc. But if I
could make up my own character, I see Bertrude as a kind of third-rate
Saruman: someone pretending to be a wizard, but without much (if any)
magical powers.

Maybe we could ask Hank Stuever what character he had in mind.

Eviel

Old March 4th 04, 12:16 AM
Dick Gozinya

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:13:00 -0500 (EST), "Eviel Dewar" eviel@nospam
wrote:

Dick Gozinya wrote:

Although Bert could be Grima Wormtongue

Wormtongue is probably the closest actual character to SodomBert:
manipulative, falsely flattering, giver of false counsel, etc. But if I
could make up my own character, I see Bertrude as a kind of third-rate
Saruman: someone pretending to be a wizard, but without much (if any)
magical powers.

Maybe we could ask Hank Stuever what character he had in mind.

Eviel

look at Sphincter Boy's fat ass photo, he looks like a low
intelligent Uruk-hais
Old March 4th 04, 04:38 AM
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

"Olaf Timandahaff" wrote in message

Mithrandir------------- Richard Henry

I read half of The Hobbitt years ago. I watched all tree of the movies, and
only fell asleep in the second, but I'm no good at Tolkien character and
place names without a program. So I had to look everything up.

I tried The Hobbit years ago too, but the cuteness got to me pretty
quickly. When my son asked me to find all the books for him at yard
sales (I did, the next week) I figured I really OUGHT to read them. I
skipped a lot, but still found them mostly tedious, with a few
exceptions that I can't remember. A lot of characters blend into one
another in my mind, which makes for much confusion. The first movie was
enjoyable, the second stank (Who are all these people and why are they
fighting?), and I haven't seen the third yet.

Very clever. If I understand my Tolkien references, Mithrandir is Gandalf's
other name.

If you say so.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross