which ski do I take to the Norwegian Birkebeiner

Old January 10th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

Default which ski do I take to the Norwegian Birkebeiner

Hi skiers,

I am new to this group, and happy to have just found it. I am a 51yr
old non-serious citizen racer in Colorado http://gmnc.info and am
fortunate enough to be going to Norway this March for the Birkebeiner
Rennet! http://www.birkebeiner.no/renn/

In Colorado, I am used to skiing on cold dry snow. Kick waxes are easy
with blue or green working for much of the heart of winter. And glide
wax is cheap, as fluoros don't work so well...usually.

I tell you all of this because I want to take just one pair of classic
skis with me (and a pair of skate for other than the race) . I have 3
classic pairs: a cold grind Atomic RC-11, a factory grind Fischer RCS
Plus, and a Fischer RCR Crown waxless.

Though I use the Atomics alot here, I am leaning towards the Fischer
RCS Plus with the maritime (wetter) snow and it being mid-March and
all.

But I would love to hear any advice from you if you have been to the
race, or are familiar with Lillehammer-Rennet climatology for mid-
March; or any other insights.

Thanks!
Old January 10th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Gunde wrote:
[...]

I think that's a good idea.

But I would love to hear any advice from you if you have been to the
race, or are familiar with Lillehammer-Rennet climatology for mid-
March; or any other insights.

The main (only?) problem with Birken is the waxing:

You start at near sea level altitude (often warm/wet snow), then climb
above 1000 m (Midtfjellet) in an inland area where you should expect at
least some dry windblown snow even if the main tracks are glazed/refrozen.

Then near the end you drop down to Lillehammer, and normally lose
most/all grip before the last few km of flat terrain when you really
need it.

OTOH, about every 5 years or so you get nice stable Blue Extra
conditions all the way. :-)

As I said, expect problems, but talk to the waxing service, check the
web, and talk to the people in the local sports stores!

Terje
(Who have skied _many_ times in the area, but never done Birken. :-()
--
-
Old January 10th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 10, 2:18*am, Terje Mathisen
wrote:
Gunde wrote:
[...]

Take your best climbing pair. Lots of long climbs that are very
skiable but seem to go on forever. If they are equal I'd take the
warmer grind. If you can figure out a way to do it take the Crowns
along for insurance. I've done a number of the classic Worldloppet
races and I always take take the Crowns with me. Only had to use them
once but with 7-8" new snow right at 30F that saved me one year. I
also use them day before etc to save the wax job.

Good luck, this is a great race. I was amazed by the sheer number of
fine skiers.