Rollerskiing in or around Lake Placid

Old September 20th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Craig Storey

Default Rollerskiing in or around Lake Placid

Hi,

I'll be in Lake Placid for a few days and am looking to roller ski while
I'm there. The tougher the better!

Is there a rollerskiing course on the ORDA facilities, or do people use
the roads. (I've checked the ORDA website, but there doesn't seem to be
anything.) Where does the US team rollerski during their fall camp?

Any advice, favorite routes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Craig
Old September 20th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Craig Storey wrote:
Hi,

I'll be in Lake Placid for a few days and am looking to roller ski while
I'm there. The tougher the better!

Is there a rollerskiing course on the ORDA facilities, or do people use
the roads. (I've checked the ORDA website, but there doesn't seem to be
anything.) Where does the US team rollerski during their fall camp?

Any advice, favorite routes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Craig

Craig-

There is a course at the jumping complex, but you will also find many
good roads- just find those that have less traffic. Stop in at High
Peaks Cyclery for some advice. Enjoy-

Joe

Old September 20th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
kddonath

There is a course at the jumping complex, but you will also find many
good roads- just find those that have less traffic. Stop in at High
Peaks Cyclery for some advice. Enjoy-

Joe

I second the motion about going to High Peaks Cyclery
(http://highpeakscyclery.com/index.cfm) to get information - the owner
has rollerskied around there. I think the shop is located on Main st.
across from McKinley St.

Kurt

Old September 20th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
RWintski

*snip* "in Lake Placid for a few days and am looking to roller ski while
I'm there. The tougher the better!" *snip*

Some good roads, though pavement might not be the greatest, a
1) Riverside Drive (near ski jumps) 4.2 mile one way, relatively level.
2) Bear Cub Road (near the olympic training center) 2.5 mile one way,
gradual up most of one way.
3) Averyville Road (off of Rt. 73, an extension of Station street, or off
of Old Military Rd) ~3.25 mile one way, rolling with a few medium climbs.
4) WITH BRIGHT CLOTHING, BIKE or CAR SUPPORT RECOMMENDED- Keene Hill (Rt
73) from hamlet of Keene up to Mt. VanHoevenburg ski area (site of '80
olympics) ~ 8 mile one way, 5 miles of it gaining approx. 1200 feet (about
1500 feet total)

outside of town:
Saranac Lake- Forest Home Road (9mi one way rolling)
Paul Smiths- Jone's Pond Road (~3-4mi ? nice, rolling)

Have fun! be safe!
Randy

Old September 21st 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Bear Cub Road is a wise choice. Rollerskiing up 73 from Keene to Van
Ho- didn't a rollerskier get killed there?

Old September 21st 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Craig Storey wrote:
I'll be in Lake Placid for a few days and am looking to roller ski while
I'm there. The tougher the better!
Is there a rollerskiing course on the ORDA facilities

Craig -

There is a course at the Jump Complex, but the US team is using it
right now for their fall camp. It is actually the summer wheeled luge
run, and the lower half of the course we raced on this winter.

Randy and Joe's advice about routes are good - I usually string them
all together for a 16.5 mile loop and start at the Horse Show grounds.
I do some hill repeats on the back side of the jumps - start at the
church and end at John Brown's farm.

There are also a couple of other good places in Upper Jay; park at the
Post Office on 9N and roll north to Jay, reverse direction and roll
south into Keene. Depending on how you do this, it could be 25+ miles.
At the Post Office, you can head up Springfield Rd. - this is a 5 (or
so) mile climb all the way back into Wilmington. You can do an out and
back or a really big loop back thru Jay, south to Upper Jay.

I'd stay off the Keene hill and do the Whiteface Rd. uphill from the 4
Corners in Wilmington to the Toll Booth. If you are thru the toll
booth before 7 am, you can keep going and climb the entire stretch - 8
miles at an 8% grade.

Another good, but rolling road is the River Rd. in Bloomingdale. I've
ridden this on my bike numerous times but never RS'ed it; I'm actually
planning on doing it this weekend w/ a friend who goes there quite
often.

- Bob

Old September 21st 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

If you are thru the toll
booth before 7 am, you can keep going and climb the entire stretch - 8
miles at an 8% grade.

Wow, so you can actually get through the toll booth? I've only done it
in the off-season.

Old September 22nd 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
kddonath

Bob -

I was up a Lake Placid for a biathlon camp a couple years ago and part
of the camp was to double pole along a major road, up hill for about
6-8 miles. I remember it started at a golf course. Nice wide
shoulders. Great workout. Nice scenery.

Can't remember the road. Could it have been Rt 9N starting at Rome? I
think Giant was on the left as we went up.

Kurt

Old September 22nd 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Craig Storey

Thanks guys, sounds like there's lots of variety!

Looking forward to it.
Craig
Old September 22nd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

kddonath wrote:

I was up a Lake Placid for a biathlon camp a couple years ago and part
of the camp was to double pole along a major road, up hill for about
6-8 miles. I remember it started at a golf course. Nice wide
shoulders. Great workout. Nice scenery.

Kurt -

You started in Elizabethtown and headed uphill on 9N towards Keene. We
do the same route, park at Stewarts (facing the golf course) and RS up
to the Baxter Mtn Tavern, where we usually leave a car. This road is
best on a bike, then you get to see the panoramic view of the High
Peaks from the top of the hill!

DP this entire stretch - you are double-tough!

There is a US Ski team time trial tomorrow morning, begins in Franklin
Falls -
Saturday will be a very exciting day at the USST training camp in Lake
Placid.
A 13km time trial will take place on roads surrounding the Wilmington,
NY area, finishing up a climb on the backside of the Whiteface toll
Road.

Race participants (invitation only) should plan on meeting at the front
of the OTC, by the lobby at 8:20 a.m., to depart for the start by 8:30.
Please car pool as much as possible. Spectators are welcome to cheer on
the athletes but are also encouraged to car pool to the start and to
keep traffic to a minimum on the race course. (There will be a lot of
racers on course and this is crucial for their safety).

Story from http://www.nensa.net/

- Bob