Twisted knees

Old March 28th 05, 01:38 AM
gr

Default Twisted knees

OK.... I twisted up my knees on Friday (thus ending my skiing season for
this year), making a turn at the bottom of a hill, pretty steep, but not
real fast (in fact I didn't really know I was in trouble until it happened!)
Something happened, a garage sale happened and I ended up twisted around
still attached to my skis, and in quite a bit of pain. I am thinking
that because it was rather deep (12") dense wettish (not the drippy
kind) snow, what happened was that the outside edge of my ski caught
under the snow, no longer turned, causing my skis to stick in one place
while I twisted around.

Does this make sense, and I now am warned to be extra careful in deep
wet snow?

Other questions: any releasable bindings that would have done any good?
(currently use 3 pin Telemark (w/o cable) bindings with heavy leather
boots).

I was using a pair of Fisher waxable short cut skis (not really much
shorter than traditional length skis), and I seem to think these are
much harder to turn than the Fischer Cruiser (waxless) which are much
shorter.
Any thoughts that the much shorter skis would have made a difference in
this situation?
Thanks!
gr
Old March 28th 05, 01:52 PM

I once broke my leg severely in 12" heavy slush. It is indeed a
snow-condition where if you 'stick' your ski you can be in trouble.

My experience with XC is that the tip of the boot twists and doesn't
hurt your leg, also the long skis have been flexy. But maybe the new
stiff boots, bindings and stiffer skis are changing this?

Old March 28th 05, 06:13 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I once broke my leg severely in 12" heavy slush. It is indeed a
snow-condition where if you 'stick' your ski you can be in trouble.

My experience with XC is that the tip of the boot twists and doesn't
hurt your leg, also the long skis have been flexy. But maybe the new
stiff boots, bindings and stiffer skis are changing this?

Interesting... I'd like to see stats comparing diff skiing venues/styles
and injuries. I'd also tend to guess that as the boot and connection become
more rigid, the potential for injury goes up?

Old March 29th 05, 03:14 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Sorry to hear about your injury(s). Perhaps you tweaked tendons or
ligaments or both. A few years ago someone who was not following the
flow at the local golf course drove me into the woods, crossing over my
skis as we stopped, such that my knee flipped and I went sprawling.
Ligament or tendon, not sure, just needed rest and very gradual restart.
I can't advise you about the skis, just to know that cross country ski
injuries sometimes seem sort of inexplicable.

Gene