Roller Skis at competitive prices

Old March 9th 04, 03:10 PM
agale

Default Roller Skis at competitive prices

Wondering if anyone here has bought roller skis for prices less then
$400 dollars canadian. I'm trying to buy some for a group as well so I
need lower prices.

Anyone have any good contacts!?

Adam

Old March 9th 04, 05:21 PM
jim farrell

agale wrote:
Wondering if anyone here has bought roller skis for prices less then
$400 dollars canadian. I'm trying to buy some for a group as well so I
need lower prices.

Anyone have any good contacts!?

Adam

twice I bought used rollerskis at a great bargain and in great shape.
(and for a third of what you are looking to spend: $125USD each pair
with bindings) Both times from women who were getting out of the sport.
Both purchases included a pair of marwe 610's and a pair of classic
rollers (once v2, once marwe) You have to be patient and check the ads
frequently in skinnyski.com and silent sports mag. They both have on
line classifieds. Tough to count on outfitting a team that way, but
maybe you can get a couple of pairs here and there.

Jim

Old March 9th 04, 10:44 PM
revyakin

SkiSketts are reasonably cheap, come in many various models, and can
be ordered directly from Italy. A friend of mine did that. Customoter
service there was good, and English-speaking. Try www.skiskett.com

Old March 10th 04, 01:10 AM
Serge

Used rollerskis have worn wheels or I am missing something.

Your best bet is to buy beams w/axles and bindings (appr.$80US)
and buy 100mm slow skating wheels (as little as $3 apiece)
and slow bearings (8 @ 1.00 apiece)

Total: $120US
Old March 10th 04, 01:11 AM
Jim Farrell

Serge wrote:
Used rollerskis have worn wheels or I am missing something.

All the used rollerskis I bought have a lot of life left in the wheels.
The marwe's are famous for going 10,000 K (or so) and the V2's will
last me for a few more years at the rate they are wearing. I lucked
out. Perhaps buying from relatively diminutive girls helped. You should
ask about wheel life before purchasing used rollerskis.

Your best bet is to buy beams w/axles and bindings (appr.$80US)
and buy 100mm slow skating wheels (as little as $3 apiece)
and slow bearings (8 @ 1.00 apiece)

Total: $120US

Nice price. Where do you get the beams with axles?

Old March 10th 04, 02:08 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Serge wrote:

Used rollerskis have worn wheels or I am missing something.

Usually, used rollerski wheels have lots of wear left. Most brands now
get long wear.
Old March 10th 04, 02:12 AM
Chris Crawford

Serge wrote:
Used rollerskis have worn wheels or I am missing something.

Your best bet is to buy beams w/axles and bindings (appr.$80US)
and buy 100mm slow skating wheels (as little as $3 apiece)

OK Serge - DIY, now I'm intrigued.

I'm pretty familiar with the wheel world but "slow" wheels? What are
these? Soft polyurethane (low durometer)?

and slow bearings (8 @ 1.00 apiece)

Likewise I buy bearings for other applications but I've never seen
"slow" bearings. Kind of oxymoronic.

Beams with axles? Is this square Al tubing with skateboard trucks or
something similar bolted to them?

How do most "speed reducers" work? A friction plate on the axle?
Anyone know?

Regards
Chris

Old March 10th 04, 01:43 PM
Serge

Chris,

For slow wheels try YAK wheels at www.swatskates.com/big-wheels.html
They are $5 apiece and you find them on $800 "Dynoskate" rollerskis,
so they are good enough. There are others too.
Fast skating wheels are as much as $17, so the cheaper the slower - no brainer.

Beams and axles are available from Eagle, SkiSkett and ewerybody else
and yes, they are alum. profile.
Anybody who is attached to wooden beams with metal forks has never taken
good downhill at 40MPH.

Slow bearing is any ABEC-3 bearing packed with grease and it is very slow
compare to skating ceramic bearings for $300 for a set of 20.
Skaters talk about slow and fast bearings and wheels as much as skiers talk
about wax.

Axlel is 7mm bolt, nut, spacer and 2 bushings that go through the beam to
hold the wheel.

Speed reducer is a yoke with roller pressed against the wheel.
They are adjustable and can be installed on almost any rollerski
except those with fender and various V2 Jenex models.
Old March 10th 04, 01:58 PM
PBDoyle

Chris: Talk to Jaimie Hess at Nordic Skater. He sells four types of
100mm. wheels for rollerskis - a fast and slow PU and a fast and slow
rubber wheel. As I mentioned in another thread, this allows for
mixing and matching and fairly precise tuning (an oxymoron, I know) of
the skate. I have a set of Eagles that I use here in Brooklyn - Aero
150s in the country; I bought the Eagles with four slow wheels and was
not strong enough to push them (I was using them w/o poles), though
you may be. Right now, I have fast PU on the front and fast rubber on
the back; they are fine for me in that configuration.
His wheels are not cheapb but, as far as I know, he is the only source
of 100mm. rubber wheels. North Texas Skate sells a variety of
expensive/inexpensive 100mm. PU wheels. Regards, Pete
Old March 10th 04, 03:34 PM
Jeff Potter

Serge and Pete:

Can you buy ratchet classic wheels a la carte as well?

Offhand it seems like we can get all the pieces from Nordic Skater for
cheap rollerskis. True?

--

Jeff Potter
****