Running during the xc ski season

Old March 9th 04, 03:23 AM
Mike Doyle

Default Running during the xc ski season

Though I am an avid runner during the spring/summer/fall, I don't run at all
once there is snow on the ground and I can ski. But I recall hearing during
the SLC Oly Games that many of the racers were seen running in the morning,
and I have heard others talk of running for a second work out during the
winter. I'm wondering how common this is. Do most of the world class skiers
continue to run during the ski season?

As far as training specificity, just wondering why they would do that (other
than to ease the transition to running once the warm weather comes). I do
hate getting the running legs back again after a couple of months off - and
it gets tougher the older I get. But skiing is so much fun (and running in
the winter is a bit of a drag), I just don't run at all if I can ski.
Wondering what approach some others take.

Mickey D.

Old March 9th 04, 11:09 AM
Gary Jacobson

In the 80's I know it was common practice for very good competative skiers
to run season in order to specifically train the leg muscles. The amount of
oxygen available to them is less in a full body activity like skiing than in
running, and so if skiing is the only training activity involving legs they
become detrained. Sounds plausible. I used to run hills during the ski
season.

Also, it's just easier and safer to run in certain winter situations.

Now, I run in winter only if I have to because there is no way to get
another kind of workout in. Infrequent running can be a drag as my body
takes a while to adapt to it, and in the winter I usually don't run
frequently enough for the adaptation to take place. And when I do run it's
with poles- so while it may demand more of my heart, it lessens the demand
on my legs which is not what running as ski training in winter is "suppose
to be" about.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old March 9th 04, 12:47 PM
Ron Bott

Yes, I have heard also about elite level skiers running all year
round, even when in the competitive ski season. Personally, I'm an
avid runner also, and try to get about 2x 30 min runs in each week
during the winter as a second workout, even if there is good skiing.
My reasoning is much like you mentioned, it can be somewhat difficult
to get the legs back once the snow is gone and dryland training takes
over. But for me an even bigger reason is that if the snow comes and
goes throughtout the winter and the conditions do not allow for snow
skiing and are too icy for rollerskiing, then I throw on the shoes and
head out for a run. Two easy runs per week during the winter even
while skiing preserves the leg muscles enough that if needed, allows
me go on longer runs and even do speedwork to improve my fitness level
during periods of no snow instead of sitting around waiting for more
white stuff.

Of course I am far from elite level, and World Cup skiers are able to
find snow wherever if needed, so I'm not exacty sure what their
reasoning is for running in the winter.

heading out for a hour run later...
Ron Bott

Old March 9th 04, 01:34 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Gary Jacobson wrote:

. .
become detrained. Sounds plausible. I used to run hills during the ski
season.

Also, it's just easier and safer to run in certain winter situations.

Now, I run in winter only if I have to because there is no way to get
another kind of workout in. . .

Many of us (particulalry the older ones of us) can't/shouldn't run at all
- any season. Any ideas for safe, non-jarring equivalent workouts?
In ski season, I ski as much as I can - and that's about it. The rest
of the time I bike (road and mnt), hike, pole-hike, ski walk uphill, etc.
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old March 9th 04, 01:48 PM
Fitzgerald

Is running good cross training for skate as well as classical skiing?
Fitzgerald

Old March 9th 04, 01:56 PM
Jeff Potter

Gary Jacobson wrote:

In the 80's I know it was common practice for very good competative skiers
to run season in order to specifically train the leg muscles. The amount of
oxygen available to them is less in a full body activity like skiing than in
running, and so if skiing is the only training activity involving legs they
become detrained. Sounds plausible. I used to run hills during the ski
season.

Maybe this fits in with the other dryland training that I've seen a couple
coaches recommend during ski season, as per my other post.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 9th 04, 02:27 PM
Dell Todd

"Mike Doyle" wrote in message ...
Though I am an avid runner during the spring/summer/fall, I don't run at all
once there is snow on the ground and I can ski. ... I do
hate getting the running legs back again after a couple of months off - and
it gets tougher the older I get. But skiing is so much fun (and running in
the winter is a bit of a drag), I just don't run at all if I can ski.
Wondering what approach some others take.

Mickey D.

Same struggle. Last year I skied exclusively for about 6 weeks while
the snow was good. I did not realize what that would mean for my
running. I think it took 6 weeks to get the base mileage back up, and
8 weeks before I felt like myself enough to do speed workouts. Way too
big a price. Perhaps others have a much better time adjusting to
running again than I.

This year my experiment was to still ski as much as I had planned to,
but also to add a 5 mile run each week. It is not tough to pick your
weather once a week even during the winter. Each run kept me in touch
with running, and felt actually very good to do as a contrast to the
skiing (which felt great too of course !)

I still have one more race weekend coming up, so I am still focused on
roller skiing and ski specificity before I go whole hog on the
running, but I am easing into it, and I am certainly way ahead of last
year.

Geez I don't like to publicize all my training secrets, but if Coach
Vordenberg does it, why not !
Old March 9th 04, 05:09 PM
Sly D. Skeez

"Mike Doyle" wrote in message ...
I'm wondering how common this is. Do most of the world class skiers
continue to run during the ski season?

I heard (in the book according to someone said so) that the _____
national skiers run 25 min every morning year 'round just to warm up
for the day. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the Russian women.

When I used to commute to work on my bike, I found it really helpful
to gauge my fatigue during the 15 min ride to work. I could then plan
my workout for the day. I do a lot of my training by feel. If I feel
tired, I don't do much. If I feel good, I'll go with the normal
workout for the day. So I have a feeling that was part of their
reasoning for a morning run.

Jay Wenner
Old March 9th 04, 05:42 PM
kayakclc

As far as training specificity, just wondering why they would do that...

If your concerned about being the best skier you can be then 2 reasons
come to mind.

1. you can focus on getting a "killer" workout, where you go beyond
the point of good muscle control and wouldn't have to worry about
screwing up your technique

2. also, since there's a lot of mental concentration that goes into
maintaining and improving your technique, sometimes it's good just to
have a "cave time" workout simply to let your mind rest

Personally, I'm not trying to be the best skier I can be so I don't
worry about my technique but running served me well for the above 2
reasons when I was involved in things that required a lot of
concentration and endurance.

Winter Park - Season Pass Alan North American Ski Resorts 2 May 18th 04 08:03 PM
running 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 7 March 7th 04 12:16 AM
Skiing is dancing on snow not running (was: what was 'the New Skate' ?) Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 2 December 17th 03 04:00 PM
First Snow of the Season Darrel Newman Nordic Skiing 0 October 1st 03 03:04 PM
Running or Cycling Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 8 August 20th 03 03:54 AM