help please for first timer

Old January 17th 06, 02:54 AM

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:
Java Man wrote:
says...

I'd ask, what happens when, at 25 mph, the bunny berm turns into a
kicker...but I already know the answer.

"...and you spend the afternoon in base first aid, filling out forms,
after which HR collects your pass and you're outta there."

Nope. It's a frantically shouted "You're doing great! Now try hard
to go slower!!!! ;-)

turn......Turn......TUUURRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Has that trick ever actually worked? Has any beginner anywhere executed
a turn under panic conditions because someone yelled at them to turn?

Yelling at someone to turn when it's clear that they don't know how is
about like teaching a pig to fly by yelling:

levitate. Levitate! LEVITAAAAAAAATE!!!!

An adult friend was taking her first (and probably only) lesson with a mess of
little kids. At one point she found herself accelerating rapidly. The kids
knew what to do -- they all yelled "MAKE A PIE, DIANA!" At the time I was
nice enough to refrain from inquiring about the outcome, but I'm pretty sure
she just fell over.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 17th 06, 11:00 PM

MoonMan wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

Java Man wrote:

says...

I'd ask, what happens when, at 25 mph, the bunny berm turns into a
kicker...but I already know the answer.

"...and you spend the afternoon in base first aid, filling out
forms, after which HR collects your pass and you're outta there."

Nope. It's a frantically shouted "You're doing great! Now try
hard to go slower!!!! ;-)

turn......Turn......TUUURRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Has that trick ever actually worked? Has any beginner anywhere
executed a turn under panic conditions because someone yelled at
them to turn?

I don't yell at them to turn. I yell, "Look at me!" If I can get the
kid to do that, 80-90% of the time, it'll result in something of a
turn.

I agree, that usually works, unless you are standing straight in front of
them.

In which case you wouldn't say that, now would you?

Unbelievable...

Old January 18th 06, 01:47 AM

Bob Lee wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

MoonMan wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

Java Man wrote:

[...]

Y'know, I kind of like the super-****y Mary - makes for some good
reading on occasion - but there are some times when you might want to
consider looking at a post with a sense of humor. Just sayin'.

This may come as a shock, but I don't think you're really in that much
of a position to be calling _anyone_ "super-****y", or singling anyone
out on _this_ ****y-ass newsgroup, where all you have to do is say
"snowboard" and the bitching and whining and
stamp-my-little-baby-feet-they're-taking-up-MY-SNOW erupts like a
golfball-sized pustule.

Old January 19th 06, 12:04 AM

"Richard Henry" wrote in message

"foot2foot" wrote in message

"Chuck" wrote in message
foot2foot wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
newswzwf.2703$Xo5.595@trnddc02...

Couldn't agree more. First timers don't need goggles.

Actually, mine do Chuck. I have them going 20 or
25 mph before they can even turn.

Is that wise? Having them going 25mph without knowing how to control
their speed.

It's all based on the bunny berm Chuck.

Step one, have the newbie unload from a progressive lift, use their
poles to position themselves above the berm, then just step the
skis into parallel pointing straight at the berm and go.

The berm stops them. You get them to go farther and farther
up the hill, so they get used to speed.

What happens wehn the berm stops them half-way up, and they start to slide
backward, not knowing how to turn or stop?

Hmm, given what seems to be an honest question, as well as a
perceptive one,

In fact, they go backward. You teach them how to handle it,
and it's not been a problem for any of them unless the berm isn't
maintained and the tails dig in. And that only happens if the skis
don't have any kind of a shovel on the rear. A really sharp grade
slows the learner down in a hurry. They only go backward for
maybe five feet or so. It's a good thing for a beginner to learn to
deal with going backward. A whole lot of skiing today is about
going backward.

You see, once anyone, even the most timid skier sees that
the berm will stop them, all fear disappears. Fun begins.

Then, they try to learn to turn. If they don't make it, the berm
will stop them anyway.

Wedge changeups will teach them to edge the skis and really
bring pressure to the big toe edges, the front of the skis.

Then, to match skis, a lift of the tail of the inside ski, then
then placement of the ski next to the outside again.

There's no problem with getting a newbie going that fast and
stopping. 25 mph is nothing on skis really. Granny goes 25.

It all depends on the nature of the berm. If it's nearly a quarter
pipe, you can really slow a skier down in a hurry.

You *at least* need to get the newbie going fast enough to
simulate the actual conditions they'll face as they try to turn
on the blues.

Old January 25th 06, 07:36 AM

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

Bob Lee wrote: