Powder Mountain vs Alta

Old November 21st 04, 11:52 PM
Bryan

Default Powder Mountain vs Alta

Is there any chance of seeing a balanced unbiased objective comparison
between Powder Mountain and Alta?

Is there any meaningful difference between snowfall or quality of snow
between the two resorts?

If you only had time to ski one, which would you choose? And why?

Which would you ski closer to a fresh snowfall?

Which resort offers the better intermediate powder skiing potential?

Thanks

Old November 22nd 04, 03:00 AM
Bryan

AstroPax wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:52:02 GMT, Bryan
wrote:

Is there any chance of seeing a balanced unbiased objective comparison
between Powder Mountain and Alta?

Is there any meaningful difference between snowfall or quality of snow
between the two resorts?

If you only had time to ski one, which would you choose? And why?

Which would you ski closer to a fresh snowfall?

Which resort offers the better intermediate powder skiing potential?

Bryan,

I live in Utah, ski mostly at Alta, however, I have also skied at
Powder Mountain on numerous occasions.
snip
Overall, Powder Mountain is at a lower altitude than Alta, so the
quantity and quality of snow is usually not as good as at Alta (or any
of the BCC or LCC areas, like Solitude, for example).
Alta, on the other hand, is mostly pines and open areas, and *really*
is about 100% skiable.
snip
IMO, the major drawback of Powder Mountain, and the main reason that I
usually don't ski there, is that it has been overwhelmed by
snowboarders.
IMO, although more expensive, I would stick with either Alta,
Snowbird, or Solitude.
snip
I hate to stick it to the little guy (Powder Mountain), but really,
the place is not that impressive.

Astro,

One of my attractions to Alta is its no snowboard rule. It just seems to
me that a snowboard destroys so much good snow with each run. It breaks
my heart to think that any day now my son will switch to a snowboard.
Oh well, it's his time to rebel!

Thanks for sharing your ideas about these resorts. I'll plan on a trip
to Alta and I'll keep an open mind in case snowfall plays a role.

Bryan

Old April 20th 05, 01:46 AM
CA Skier CA Skier is offline
Junior Member

Location: Los Angeles, California

I have skied SLC for a week every year since 87 and I have tried all the resorts. I get bored skiing the same place day in and day out. Snow quality does go to Alta and I would ski there first after a snow fall because the Altoids ski the fresh stuff up very fast! You can hit Powder Mtn two or three days later and still find lots of powder.

If you and your family are really intermediates there are more moderate slopes at Powder Mtn where you can build up your confidence.

Hope this helps and since I don't live there I don't have an axe to grind.

Last edited by CA Skier : April 20th 05 at 01:49 AM.

Powder Mountain (UT) - Lightning Ridge Snowcat Runs? Jess McClelland Snowboarding 1 March 15th 04 11:35 AM
Alta Powder Alert AstroPax Alpine Skiing 3 February 28th 04 09:31 PM
Powder Mountain tlf Snowboarding 0 February 25th 04 07:19 AM
Powder Mountain tlf Alpine Skiing 0 February 25th 04 07:19 AM
There goes the snow ... buh bye. J999w Nordic Skiing 12 December 30th 03 01:37 PM