Transfers to tignes

Old March 5th 07, 08:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
steveJ steveJ is offline
Junior Member

Default Transfers to tignes

Hi
Just wondering if anyone knows of any cheap transfers to tignes from
Lyon airport.
Normally drive but have ben let down by my skiing buddies this year so
looks like I am going on my own (I know sad git, billy no mates etc).
Wondering if cheaper to get a transfer than hire a car. My research
suggest not. Anyone got any ideas ?
Had a look at Satobus but looks like that takes 5 hours to get ot resort
which is about 2 hours longer than it is to drive.

SteveJ
Old March 5th 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"SteveJ" wrote in message
| Hi
| Just wondering if anyone knows of any cheap transfers to tignes from
| Lyon airport.
| Normally drive but have ben let down by my skiing buddies this year so
| looks like I am going on my own (I know sad git, billy no mates etc).
| Wondering if cheaper to get a transfer than hire a car. My research
| suggest not. Anyone got any ideas ?
| Had a look at Satobus but looks like that takes 5 hours to get ot
resort
| which is about 2 hours longer than it is to drive.
|
| SteveJ

You can get the Satobus coach (check out their website
http://satobus-alpes.altibus.com/)

I know it costs 46 euros or thereabouts for an single (adult) to Bourg
St Maurice so it won't be much more than that. There are cheaper rates
for under 25's I think, and it works out a bit cheaper if you get a
return.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old March 5th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

SteveJ wrote:
Hi
Just wondering if anyone knows of any cheap transfers to tignes from
Lyon airport.
Normally drive but have ben let down by my skiing buddies this year so
looks like I am going on my own (I know sad git, billy no mates etc).
Wondering if cheaper to get a transfer than hire a car. My research
suggest not. Anyone got any ideas ?
Had a look at Satobus but looks like that takes 5 hours to get ot resort
which is about 2 hours longer than it is to drive.

SteveJ

Last year I organised a transfer from Lyon to Les Arcs and you are
right. It takes for ever, there are few buses. There are only a couple
per day, which if you just miss one consumes more time than the
transfer. And the train is just as bad (IIRC 6 hours to Bourg). It is,
however, much cheeper than hiring a car for a week. How long are you
going for?

My friends now take the train all the way from Kent to Bourg. It is more
convenient and about the same price all included.

BTW check your flight is still running.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6418391.stm reports that the
transfer of the BA european service to FlyBE is not going smoothly. An
airline called Titan Air, did the flight from Lyon to Birmingham last night.

John
Old March 5th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

" " wrote in
message ...
| SteveJ wrote:
| Hi
| Just wondering if anyone knows of any cheap transfers to tignes from
| Lyon airport.
| Normally drive but have ben let down by my skiing buddies this year
so
| looks like I am going on my own (I know sad git, billy no mates
etc).
| Wondering if cheaper to get a transfer than hire a car. My research
| suggest not. Anyone got any ideas ?
| Had a look at Satobus but looks like that takes 5 hours to get ot
resort
| which is about 2 hours longer than it is to drive.
|
| SteveJ
| Last year I organised a transfer from Lyon to Les Arcs and you are
| right. It takes for ever, there are few buses. There are only a couple
| per day, which if you just miss one consumes more time than the
| transfer. And the train is just as bad (IIRC 6 hours to Bourg). It is,
| however, much cheeper than hiring a car for a week. How long are you
| going for?
|
| My friends now take the train all the way from Kent to Bourg. It is
more
| convenient and about the same price all included.
|
| BTW check your flight is still running.
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6418391.stm reports that the
| transfer of the BA european service to FlyBE is not going smoothly. An
| airline called Titan Air, did the flight from Lyon to Birmingham last
night.

According to the website, it's about a 4.5 hour transfer to Tignes from
Lyon, and there are more buses on Saturdays ... (You have to book a
minimum 7 days in advance).

Pete

Old March 5th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On Mar 5, 9:01 am, SteveJ wrote:
Hi
Just wondering if anyone knows of any cheap transfers to tignes from
Lyon airport.
Normally drive but have ben let down by my skiing buddies this year so
looks like I am going on my own (I know sad git, billy no mates etc).
Wondering if cheaper to get a transfer than hire a car. My research
suggest not. Anyone got any ideas ?
Had a look at Satobus but looks like that takes 5 hours to get ot resort
which is about 2 hours longer than it is to drive.

SteveJ

Hi Steve,

It does take longer, but that's just life really - some of the coaches
have limitters on the engines so the Peage routes aren't as quick as,
erm, they could be. They can make up for it on the switchbacks
though ;-)

Friend of mine took 3 hours for a coach from Geneva to Tignes
yesterday - Would either have been satobus or ATS I think. Didn't go
via Val D'Is first which is often what adds an hour on to the Tignes
transfer.

You could try ridetignes.com - Give Ian a call and tell him I sent
you. He's well busy at the moment but if he can't do it, he might know
a man who can.

Another alternative is to give the Tignes tourist info a call and see
if they can book it from this end.

Don't try getting the train - takes forever and you have to change at
least once. That said, as already mentioned, if you can travel midweek
then Eurostar to Paris, metro to Austerlitz and sleeper to Bourg is a
good service. Eurostar might still have seats left for the direct
Friday/Saturday services.

Bon chance,
Matt

Old March 15th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
steveJ steveJ is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for all your help - things have changed abit - now flying into
Grenoble (much cheaper) so probably going to hire a car.
Anyone out there on the 24th March ?
Old March 15th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MarkyMark

"SteveJ" wrote in message
Thanks for all your help - things have changed abit - now flying into
Grenoble (much cheaper) so probably going to hire a car.
Anyone out there on the 24th March ?

Yes me !

Going out tomorrow night via eurotunnel down to Val Thorens for a week then
moving on up too Tigne next sat 24th.
Looking for a ski buddy ?

Regards Mark

Old March 15th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 15 Mar, 08:59, SteveJ wrote:
Thanks for all your help - things have changed abit - now flying into
Grenoble (much cheaper) so probably going to hire a car.
Anyone out there on the 24th March ?

Yup - I'm here. Probably working rather than skiing unfortunately, but
still got 7 weeks or so to go - can't work all the time.

Matt