Beginner Advice and

Old December 18th 05, 04:58 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I expect the instructor to deal with each kid individually; it's only
2
kids. Mostly, I expect the more experienced kid to get a few tips and
ride
at will catching up to the beginner as often as he'd like to. The
skiier
(sp?) hates group lessons. "

This makes no sense. You have one kid who has 5-10 days experience and
one with zero. How is the experienced kid gonna "catch up" to the new
kid, who will be stuck in one small area for a day or more? The exper
kid needs and instructor moving with him on a real trail. I'd put the
beginner in a group class to start, then consider maybe private for the
second or third day. The exper kid may not need a lessson, but if he
does, a group one of the right level is gonna do more than being with a
private guy stuck with a beginner.

Understood. Your message is coming across loud and clear. I've been in
semi-private ski lessons with mixed abilities (father, son) and as the more
experienced skier I was well instructed while my son was the focus. I don't
know how different snowboarding is from skiing ...

Old December 22nd 05, 01:21 AM

Christine wrote:

That depends. I have two sons who both switched from skiing to
snowboarding. They were very different in picking up snowboarding. I
think a good skier is a fast learner in snowboarding.

I'd have to agree with that. I'd consider myself quite a good snowbarder
considering I've never done a season. Just for fun, I did a bit of a
culture exchange with a friend who is a good skier for one day last
year. He did a lot better on a snowboard than I did on skis.

It was certainly useful to both of us though. We both came out with an
appreciation of what beginners go through in eachothers sport. It
certainly helped me predict what beginner skiers are going to do when I
try to pass them.

Octes
Old December 22nd 05, 01:52 AM

"Christine" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 01:11:17 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

(yeah, I'm crying, there goes my skiing buddy).

Why don't you switch to snowboarding, then? If you do, buy "the
illustrated guide to snowboarding". This book teaches you basic
principles before you even get to the snow, giving you more value for
money during your first lessons.

I'm thinking of putting them both into a 3 hour private le$$on on day one.

They definitely need to start with a couple of hours of lessons, until
they get the feel of it.

What can I expect for the young skiier? Will he be up and having fun
quickly or will it be 2 days of nothing but hard work for him?

That depends. I have two sons who both switched from skiing to
snowboarding. They were very different in picking up snowboarding. I
think a good skier is a fast learner in snowboarding.

dagdag
Christine

I have too little time on the slopes to spend it learning something new.
Snowboarding looks like fun, but my few moments on the mountain each year
are too precious to spend learning how to stand up differently. So, I'll
stick to skiing.

Thanks for all your comments.

Old December 22nd 05, 03:50 AM

I would say 4 days of hard work...A.

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
Going to the snow!

I will be taking a 14 year old who skis well (in the intermediate range),
but still a little intimidated, mostly by other reckless
skiiers/snowboarders.
I will also be taking a 14 year old who has a 5 to 10 days over the past 2
years snowboarding experience.

These 2 best buddies are going to spend a couple of days snowboarding.
The skiier wants to learn how to snowboard (yeah, I'm crying, there goes
my skiing buddy).

I'm thinking of putting them both into a 3 hour private le$$on on day one.
What can I expect for the young skiier? Will he be up and having fun
quickly or will it be 2 days of nothing but hard work for him?

I actually don't really know what questions to ask, so I'm open to your
ideas ...

Thanks,

Bryan

Old December 22nd 05, 04:20 AM

"Sherrie and Andy" wrote in message
I would say 4 days of hard work...A.

Nothing wrong with hard work.

Old December 22nd 05, 04:14 PM

Christine wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 03:21:37 +0100, Octessence
wrote:

certainly helped me predict what beginner skiers are going to do when I
try to pass them.

But you already knew that. When you pass them on the right, they
suddenly turn right. When you pass them on the left, they suddenly
turn left. When you change your mind, they do too.

dagdag
Christine

lol. At least they don't usually follow when you have no choice but to
fly off the side into the trees