Stokely Creek sold to logging company

Old March 14th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bruce Freeburger

Default Stokely Creek sold to logging company

Folks,
Stokely Creek, generaly considered the best single cross country ski
trail system in the midwest has been sold to a logging company.
The Stokely Creek employees will be let go April 1st.

The Wabos Loppet will be held this Saturday. The final dinner of the
season will be this Saturday at the lodge. Nobody knows if the logging
company has any interest in allowing cross country skiing to continue on
the 8,000 acres.

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger
Old March 14th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Bruce Freeburger wrote:
Folks,
Stokely Creek, generaly considered the best single cross country ski
trail system in the midwest has been sold to a logging company.
The Stokely Creek employees will be let go April 1st.

The Wabos Loppet will be held this Saturday. The final dinner of the
season will be this Saturday at the lodge. Nobody knows if the logging
company has any interest in allowing cross country skiing to continue on
the 8,000 acres.

SAD.

But that's how civilizations go, I suppose: lowest common denominator
makes a clean sweep. I'm recollecting there were estate issues here
which tends to mean a mad family scramble for cash. And there's your
LCD of our world. I mean, why even stand in the way---let em pave it
all---then they'll die---then there might be a comeback.

On the brighter side, aren't paper companies at any rate typically
very lenient about public use of their lands? I've seen this be the
case in the U.P. I wonder if logging and paper outfits operate
somewhat similarly. Hope so!

--JP

Old March 15th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bruce Freeburger

Folks,
I have been told by a person who is VERY deep in negotiations to
continue cross county skiing at Stokely Creek, to basically keep my
mouth shut.
Let's just say it ain't over until it's over!

Old March 15th 07, 12:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

One of the reasons they allow access in the UP is that they get a tax break
if they open their lands to public use. Not sure if the same is the case in
Canada.

DMK
wrote in message
ups.com...

Old March 15th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

"Bruce Freeburger" wrote in message
news:LISdnYKUoK4EEWXYnZ2dnUVZ_vCknZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Folks,
Stokely Creek, generaly considered the best single cross country ski
trail system in the midwest has been sold to a logging company.
The Stokely Creek employees will be let go April 1st.

The Wabos Loppet will be held this Saturday. The final dinner of the
season will be this Saturday at the lodge. Nobody knows if the logging
company has any interest in allowing cross country skiing to continue on
the 8,000 acres.

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger

I'm sorry to hear it. Is there a partition you can sign to convince the
logging company to allow skiing?

Old March 15th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Walt

Bruce Freeburger wrote:
Folks,
Stokely Creek, generaly considered the best single cross country ski
trail system in the midwest has been sold to a logging company.

Wow. What is it with the Soo and their constant ski area soap operas?
First it was Searchmont, then the Hiawatha Highlands and now Stokley
Creek. It seems like every skiing facility up there is always on the
verge of collapse. The good news is that the locals always manage to
pull it together in time.

The Stokely Creek employees will be let go April 1st.

Aren't they normally laid off around then anyway?

//Walt
Old March 15th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:43:51 GMT, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0"
wrote:

Is there a partition you can sign to convince the
logging company to allow skiing?

Why would a petition by skiers influence a logging company?

--
JT

Killington Sold! [email protected] Alpine Skiing 6 February 21st 07 03:44 AM
TR (Long) -Wisconsin Logging Roads George Cleveland Backcountry Skiing 1 January 16th 06 04:35 AM
Royal Gorge sold sknyski Nordic Skiing 5 October 16th 05 07:21 PM
Rossi sold to surfing clothes company Gene Goldenfeld Nordic Skiing 3 March 29th 05 01:43 PM
Is Trapper Norm still around up at Stokely? [email protected] Nordic Skiing 1 January 31st 05 07:37 PM