Protecting Edges from Rust

Old March 23rd 04, 02:39 AM
Clint Marshall

Default Protecting Edges from Rust

We have trouble with rust on the edges on our skis when we don't use the
skis for either several weeks in the winter or over the course of the
summer.

We live on the coast of Maine and, no matter how dry we try to get the
edges, they get rusty through the summer.

Is there any good way to protect the edges from moisture when the skis are
not in use? Is there a wax or spray that I could just run down the edges
when we put them away that will protect them from moisture, but rub off as
soon as we go skiing again?

Thanks for any ideas!

Old March 23rd 04, 11:10 AM
Mary Malmros

"Clint Marshall" writes:

We have trouble with rust on the edges on our skis when we don't use the
skis for either several weeks in the winter or over the course of the
summer.

We live on the coast of Maine and, no matter how dry we try to get the
edges, they get rusty through the summer.

Is there any good way to protect the edges from moisture when the skis are
not in use? Is there a wax or spray that I could just run down the edges
when we put them away that will protect them from moisture, but rub off as
soon as we go skiing again?

Generally speaking, waxes today are meant to be applied hot, but I
suppose you could just rub 'em on and maybe it would work. When I'm
putting 'em away for the year, I hot-wax with an all-purpose wax and
let it slop over the edges. That seems to do the trick. And don't
store 'em base to base.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old March 23rd 04, 01:05 PM
Walt

Mary Malmros wrote:
"Clint Marshall" writes:

We have trouble with rust on the edges on our skis when we don't use the
skis for either several weeks in the winter or over the course of the
summer.

We live on the coast of Maine and, no matter how dry we try to get the
edges, they get rusty through the summer.

Is there any good way to protect the edges from moisture when the skis are
not in use? Is there a wax or spray that I could just run down the edges
when we put them away that will protect them from moisture, but rub off as
soon as we go skiing again?

Generally speaking, waxes today are meant to be applied hot, but I
suppose you could just rub 'em on and maybe it would work. When I'm
putting 'em away for the year, I hot-wax with an all-purpose wax and
let it slop over the edges. That seems to do the trick. And don't
store 'em base to base.

Toko makes a paint-on wax that goes for about $12 a bottle. It does the
trick as far as keeping the edges from rusting and is a good solution to
use in between hot-waxes. Just paint it on, making sure to cover the
edges, no need to scrape it off before skiing.

I'd recommend a hot wax for summer storage, but the paint-on stuff will
be better than nothing. If you opt for the hot wax approach, remember
that it's not necessary to spend a lot on fancy high-tech ski waxes.
Plain old parrafin (canning) wax will work fine.

You might also want to evaluate where you store your skis - upstairs in
a dry closet will be better than a damp garage. Of course the salt air
right by the ocean will probably get to the skis no matter where you put
them.

So, is the season over in Maine, or do you still have some turns in your
immediate future?

--
//-Walt
//