Windham v. Bellayre

Old February 14th 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DZN

Default Windham v. Bellayre

I have one day for a day trip (a Friday) and these and Hunter are the only
ski areas within driving distance. Can anyone compare the two to help me
decide? (I am already familiar with Hunter.)

Old February 14th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Feb 14, 5:43*am, "DZN" wrote:
I have one day for a day trip (a Friday) and these and Hunter are the only
ski areas within driving distance. *Can anyone compare the two to help me
decide? *(I am already familiar with Hunter.)

Bellayre is a joke. Go to Hunter.
Old February 14th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"DZN" wrote in message
I have one day for a day trip (a Friday) and these and Hunter are the only
ski areas within driving distance. Can anyone compare the two to help me
decide? (I am already familiar with Hunter.)

I skied Windham a few times and it is pretty boring but better than nothing.
Can't say anything about Bellayre never skied there. Try out Gore much
better mountain, best hands down over Hunter & Windham and worth the drive.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 15th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Feb 14, 6:43*am, "DZN" wrote:
I have one day for a day trip (a Friday) and these and Hunter are the only
ski areas within driving distance. *Can anyone compare the two to help me
decide? *(I am already familiar with Hunter.)

Another option would be Plattekill
http://www.plattekill.com/winter/

Generally fewer crowds. Every time I ever went to Windham the lift
lines were rediculous. And Bellayre has the access road running
through the middle of the mountain.
Old February 15th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:04:03 -0800 (PST), snoig
wrote this crap:

lines were rediculous. And Bellayre has the access road running
through the middle of the mountain.

Um... through a tunnel? Or over the top?

This mighty Hungarian warrior doubts what you say.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old February 15th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Tom

wrote this crap:

lines were rediculous. And Bellayre has the access road running
through the middle of the mountain.

Um... through a tunnel? Or over the top?

This mighty Hungarian warrior doubts what you say.

I don't even know where Bellayre is, but looked it up anyhow.
There is a lower mountain with green trails and an upper mountain with blue
and black; with a road separating them.
Doesn't seem like a big problem.

Old February 16th 09, 02:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

DZN wrote:
I have one day for a day trip (a Friday) and these and Hunter are the only
ski areas within driving distance. Can anyone compare the two to help me
decide? (I am already familiar with Hunter.)

I've skied each one exactly once, so take what follows with that caveat.

Windham is more crowded and "City" influenced - like Huntah's
step-sister; Belleayre is more laid-back as it's run by the state parks
system.

At Belleayre, every run starts out steep (or steep-ish) for the first
20%, becomes moderate for the next 40%, and then is green terrain for
the remaining 40%. Not everyone's cup of tea. The beginner terrain is
at the bottom, and is separated from the rest of the resort by a road.

Windham probably has better terrain overall, with some moderate steeps
and some cruisers. If you go to Windham, head to the right side (as
you look up the hill) to get away from the crowds (although the terrain
over there is nothing special).

Were I to go back, I'd probably choose Windham mid-week and Belleayre on
the weekends. Friday I'd be conflicted, but probably choose Belleayre.

Platekill is another resort in the area - much more "marginal" with
limited snowmaking and grooming and consequently fewer people. Haven't
been there myself, but worth looking into.

//Walt

windham downhill Alpine Skiing 0 January 2nd 09 11:41 PM
Hunter vs Windham vs Bellearye Mike Alpine Skiing 4 February 23rd 06 11:51 PM