What to do in a whiteout?

Old June 19th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

Default What to do in a whiteout?

"Kevin" wrote in message
A few months ago I was at Squaw Valley. Most of the resort was closed
because of 50mph winds.

I was coming down a black trail (Saddle?). I was on the steepest part
(okay, it might not have been all that steep, but it was the steepest
trail I had ever skied...) when the wind kicked up and all went white. I
couldn't see my hands, let alone the ground.
I turned right about 120*, figuring there wasn't much there and I should
stop.
Well, the ground fell out and I shot down, and then came to a stop when it
went back up.
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got
white, rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

What was right?

I would recommend the first thing to do is to stop, then to side slip down.
Do not fall down or lay down as this is more dangerous than standing. If
some one collides into you, you are less likely to get seriously injured
standing. The skis or snow board would hit your boot which are protecting
your legs then you would fall like a bowling pin. If you were laying down
you would have very little protection to your body or head which would
absorb the full impact of the ski or snow board and it would be like getting
hit by a small vehicle, crunch.

I wouldn't continue skiing as you do not know how long the complete loss of
vision would last and the odds of hitting something would greater the long
you are moving.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old June 19th 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

pigo wrote:

On Jun 18, 9:47 am, "Kevin" wrote:

Visibility was fine and I was headed straight down the hill in the middle of
a turn when the whiteout hit. It was all over in 5 seconds or so, and then
visibility was good again. But at the speed I was going, you cover a lot of
distance in 5 seconds.

OH! Sorry Kevin. I misunderstood the situation. I was thinking of the
kind that last for extended periods of time. Those can be really odd.

There are all kinds of visibilty problems like the one you describe.
Flat light, foggy eyewear.......

....the wind blowing your contacts sideways because you chose sunglasses rather
than goggles...for the last time :-(

I suppose that putting your butt down
is an option but you learn to ski through them as well. Do what feels
best to you.

--
Cheers, Bev
You are more likely to catch swine flu from a
Old June 20th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

JQ wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

JQ, come ski Bear with me on a foggy day when you can't
see the tips of your skis. We call it "skiing by Braille".
Staying out in the open is no problem. The light is so
flat you cannot make out the terrain ahead of you. It's
purely felt through your boots. Interesting to say the
least.
Old June 20th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"VtSkier" wrote in message
JQ wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

While skiing one year on Big Mountain now Whitefish Mountain Resort, MT
coming off the summit you could only see maybe 4' in front at best. The
mountain had placed fluorescent flags every 20' or so apart down the center
of the rail. It was scary, all you could do is hear people all over trying
to find the flags and not go off the trail into the trees. I was with a
group and they all wanted to get to the base lodge. It wasn't until we got
about a third of the way down before we could see enough ahead of ourselves
to ski safely. It was interesting though as you mentioned you had to feel
the terrain with your feet.

One of the scariest times skiing in a white out, I had a new pair of goggles
that were very similar to swimming goggles and they got all fogged up and I
could not see a thing. In a panic I dropped to the ground knowing that
there was a very steep drop off on the edge of the run into large boulders
and trees. I was with two friends that were skiing right behind me and they
saw me fall. While I was on the ground I had vertigo and I swore I was
still in motion sliding towards drop off. I was flopping, kicking and
everything I could do to stop. I then heard my friend say what are you
doing and started to giggle. At that point I ripped off the goggle to
notice I wasn't moving, they had a good laugh as I did once I imagined what
I must have looked like on the ground. I threw those goggles away and
bought some clear ones at the lodge.

Yes, I do need to get out there and do some more skiing with you. My son
has grown a lot since you last seen him and he's looking forward to it too.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old June 20th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Jun 19, 10:55*pm, "JQ" wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

JQ wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

Dancing on the edge- Hide quoted text -

Skiing in the trees provides contrast in bad visibility whether it
flat light, heavy snow, and/or wind. The snow used to be better in
there too.
Old June 21st 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

"Kevin" wrote in message
A few months ago I was at Squaw Valley. Most of the resort was closed
because of 50mph winds.

I was coming down a black trail (Saddle?). I was on the steepest part
(okay, it might not have been all that steep, but it was the steepest
trail I had ever skied...) when the wind kicked up and all went white. I
couldn't see my hands, let alone the ground.
I turned right about 120*, figuring there wasn't much there and I should
stop.
Well, the ground fell out and I shot down, and then came to a stop when it
went back up.
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got
white, rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

What was right?

Assume the tuck. Go by the "feel" under your feet. Works at night on unlit
runs also.

Stuey

Old June 21st 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_5_]

Stuart wrote:

"Kevin" wrote:

A few months ago I was at Squaw Valley. Most of the resort was closed
because of 50mph winds.

I was coming down a black trail (Saddle?). I was on the steepest part
(okay, it might not have been all that steep, but it was the steepest
trail I had ever skied...) when the wind kicked up and all went white. I
couldn't see my hands, let alone the ground. I turned right about 120*,
figuring there wasn't much there and I should stop. Well, the ground fell
out and I shot down, and then came to a stop when it went back up. Fun
ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

What was right?

Assume the tuck. Go by the "feel" under your feet. Works at night on unlit
runs also.

Curiously enough, a certain amount of blindness reduces the fear factor. I
rode a motorcycle singletrack trail in the dark with somebody else's headlight
20 feet in front of me much better than if I'd actually been able to see the
trail itself. Same with skiing once in fog. Still, not anything I'd *choose*
to do again.

--
Cheers, Bev
1010101010101010101010101010101010101
Old June 21st 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

"The Real Bev" wrote in message

Stuart wrote:

"Kevin" wrote:

[...]

No not really. But the point I was making was to "listen" to the feel of the
skis real closely. Of course in whiteout conditions you have to ski super
slowly, slower than walking speed depending on how well you know the run

Stuey
CSIA

Old June 23rd 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
hr(bob) [email protected]

On Jun 19, 10:45*pm, VtSkier wrote:
JQ wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

least.- Hide quoted text -

A-Basin in fog or flat light can become very interesting if you don't
know the mountain!!!
Old June 23rd 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

JQ wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

If you know the mountain, how do you know how it feels when you don't?