Skis grip Ice TOOOO much??

Old February 19th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

Default Skis grip Ice TOOOO much??

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:10:47 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote this crap:

I carry a small ceramic sharpener and when the edges start to go I make sure
they're sharp from tip to tail

the worst is a bur under your foot that can make the skis really overturn.

Aye, matey. My drill sargent always told us to carry a small
whetstone to sharpen our bayonets, or our daggers.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old February 19th 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
A mighty Hungarian wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:06:14 -1000, Dave Cartman
wrote this crap:

You don't know much about swords.

Think of detuning a ski as the "Ricasso" of the sword.

There's no hilt on skis.

Well, it's not a perfect analogy, with a sword and ski not actually be
the same thing and all.
Old February 20th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"Walt" wrote in message
Trekman wrote:
On Feb 18, 6:56 pm, VtSkier wrote:

The above is called 'detuning'.

Absolutely agree with VT Skier - detuning is essential no matter your
technique.

Horse hockey.

The ski techs at my hill don't detune unless you ask them to. And then
they snicker to themselves about the gapper in the shop who wants his
edges wrecked.

It's like going to a restaurant and ordering your steak "well done".

//Walt

Hey, hey I order my steak "well done", that's how I like it. If I wanted to
see blood I kill it myself.

By the way all the places that I ever had my skis edges sharpened they
always detuned the tips and tails.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 20th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:45:21 -0500, "JQ" wrote
this crap:

It's like going to a restaurant and ordering your steak "well done".

//Walt

Hey, hey I order my steak "well done", that's how I like it. If I wanted to
see blood I kill it myself.

Wuss. You've probably never had sushi either.
You've probably never had road kill either.

Old February 20th 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"A mighty Hungarian warrior" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:45:21 -0500, "JQ" wrote
this crap:

It's like going to a restaurant and ordering your steak "well done".

//Walt

Hey, hey I order my steak "well done", that's how I like it. If I wanted
see blood I kill it myself.

Wuss. You've probably never had sushi either.
You've probably never had road kill either.

I grew up on sushi and real seafood, (octopus, seaweed and much more).
I don't think I ever had road kill but have eaten food that I or others
hunted.
I too come from a line of true warriors (samurai) but do not need to boost
of it.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 20th 09, 11:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 03:41:56 -0500, "JQ" wrote
this crap:

Wuss. You've probably never had sushi either.
You've probably never had road kill either.

I grew up on sushi and real seafood, (octopus, seaweed and much more).
I don't think I ever had road kill but have eaten food that I or others
hunted.
I too come from a line of true warriors (samurai) but do not need to boost
of it.

Wuss. You probably don't follow the way of the samurai. In my
collection of weapons I have an actual samurai sword. With a mighty
sword in my hand, I fear nothing and I will take on all enemies.

And always order your steak very rare. That's the way of the warrior.

And vote for Sarah Palin in 2012.

Old February 20th 09, 11:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Feb 19, 12:08*pm, "MoonMan"
wrote:
Walt wrote:
Tom wrote:

--

Chris *:-)

"VtSkier" wrote

It may be that you are a little light
for skis you are on and can't bend them
into an arc so the tips and tails are
'catching' on the 'firm'.

Wouldn't a better solution be getting skis that he is not too light
for?

If that's actually the problem, then yes. Somehow, I doubt that it is.
There just aren't that many skis that are that stiff, and those that
own 'em know what they are.

Those of us who do ski on stiff skis do winge when using softer ones which
wash out instead of gripping properly- Hide quoted text -

Control the degree of detuning with a grey gumi (see
http://www.racewax.com/category/tuni...s.edge_tuning). Use
different pressure to transition the detuning between zones of your
ski. Transitioning the de-tune region with different levels of dulling
ensure that there isn't an abrupt change in sharpness.

Marc
Old February 20th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Trekman wrote this crap:

The above is called 'detuning'.

detuning is essential no matter your technique.

You don't know much about swords.

Dull swords have their purpose.

For one thing, it's much more painful when you stab somebody with a dull
sword because it rips instead of slices.

//Walt

Old February 20th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

JQ wrote:

It's like going to a restaurant and ordering your steak "well done".

Hey, hey I order my steak "well done", that's how I like it.

You've never worked in a restaurant, have you? You should know that
when the chef gets an order for "ruined" steak, he is deeply insulted.
So, first he goes to the fridge and pulls out one of the "save for
well-done" cuts - that's one of the inferior cuts, perhaps one that's
started to mold. Since there's no point in wasting a good cut of beef
on ruined steak, you'll get the worst cut in the house.

I used to work with a grill man where if someone sent back a steak
because it was underdone, he'd throw it on the floor, stomp on it, spit
on it, then throw it on the grill and burn it.

Don't **** with the people who prepare your food. A lesson I learned
early in life.

//Walt