Powder newbie....

Old January 4th 05, 05:35 PM
BREWERPAUL

Default Powder newbie....

After skiing for years in Northeast conditions (NY, Mass, VT), I'm finally
going out to Colorado for a ski weekend (Crested Butte).
Any technique suggestions to help me not make a fool of myself in powder would
be appreciated! I'm a pretty fair skiier-- not a hot-dogger, I just like
cruising. In the NE I can handle most black diamonds, although I enjoy
intermediate trails more-- the expert stuff is too much like work.

******************************
Got wood?
Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair
prices...http://www.Busmanwhistles.com

Old January 4th 05, 06:35 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:

5) Attach powder cords to your skis - about 20' of orange yarn tied to
the ski and stuffed up your pantleg. That way if you lose a ski in the
powder you'll be able to find it. Nothing looks more foolish than
someone searching for a missing ski in the deep.

Stress this.

Prepare for this by bringing your own "yarn" (I prefer a length of
brightly colored 1/8 nylon cord, since often I can reach the cord and
pull the skis to me which is a great help in deep powder.) If you wait
till you're on the slopes most on-slope shops will be happy to sell you
50 cents worth of ribbon or cord (or even yarn) for $12.95-$15.95.
Old January 5th 05, 01:46 AM
rosco

BREWERPAUL wrote:

After skiing for years in Northeast conditions (NY, Mass, VT), I'm finally
going out to Colorado for a ski weekend (Crested Butte).
Any technique suggestions to help me not make a fool of myself in powder would
be appreciated!

Paul -

Get over the worries about looking the fool; you *will* look the fool.
This is pretty much inevitable if you ski a good powder day before you
get your powder turns down.

I would suggest taking a lesson, but that is not what I did to learn and
powder lessons did not take with my east-coast brother, who skis very
well, but not-so-good in pow.

Best advice I could give you is to talk to a few good skiers, read a bit
about it and visualize as much as you can before your debut. But here
are a couple tid-bits noone told me about...

- wear proper clothes and equipment. Getting sweaty and/or wet in the
pow is not pleasant. It is easy to overdress. Don't forget something
to wipe down your googles after they get filled with snow after a biff.
You will need some sort of anti-fog. I recommend Cat Crap (partly cuz
I like how it sounds when I recommend it). Get powder cords and use
them if the snow is deeper than 18" and for god's sake, don't let them
drag behind you like some idiot gapers do.

- RELAX. This is hard, but crucial to good pow skiing. Relax also when
you fall. Take your time getting up and collecting yourself. Your ass
will be kicked before the end of the day anyhow, so why rush it?

If you can link 3 or 4 good pow turns by the end of the day, consider it
a success. Have fun! And don't be scared... the landings are soft.

RAC

Old January 5th 05, 01:47 AM
Jack Nixon

BREWERPAUL wrote:

After skiing for years in Northeast conditions (NY, Mass, VT), I'm finally
going out to Colorado for a ski weekend (Crested Butte).
Any technique suggestions to help me not make a fool of myself in powder would
be appreciated! I'm a pretty fair skiier-- not a hot-dogger, I just like
cruising. In the NE I can handle most black diamonds, although I enjoy
intermediate trails more-- the expert stuff is too much like work.

******************************
Got wood?
Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair
prices...http://www.Busmanwhistles.com

I don't think it's possible to teach skiing on-line. Some can give you tips (like
powder cords), but that ain't how to ski. I live and ski at CB and for some
specific advice, if there is powder (like right now) start on the Red Lady Lift
trails to see what it feels like. Bushwhacker Trail served by the pokey Teocali
Lift is a good place to start powder skiing. Twister Lift has some good runs with
nice pitch and less traffic which keeps powder longer. I think the ski hosts do
daily tours so you can get a good look at the mountain. Or you could take a
lesson.

Fresh snow this morning and it's coming down pretty hard tonight. The High Lift
and North Face are running now. Life is good.

Jack

Old January 5th 05, 02:02 AM
rosco

lal_truckee wrote:

Walt wrote:

5) Attach powder cords to your skis - about 20' of orange yarn tied
to the ski and stuffed up your pantleg. That way if you lose a ski in
the powder you'll be able to find it. Nothing looks more foolish than
someone searching for a missing ski in the deep.

Stress this.

Prepare for this by bringing your own "yarn" (I prefer a length of
brightly colored 1/8 nylon cord, since often I can reach the cord and
pull the skis to me which is a great help in deep powder.) If you wait
till you're on the slopes most on-slope shops will be happy to sell you
50 cents worth of ribbon or cord (or even yarn) for $12.95-$15.95.

My powder cords are 10' of orange surveyor's tape with a large button
attached to the end.

RAC

Old January 5th 05, 03:09 AM
lal_truckee

Jack Nixon wrote:

I don't think it's possible to teach skiing on-line.

What?! We've been doing it for a decade right here - why, I suspect
there are untold thousands who learned to ski just reading our excellent
explanations and discussions. Thousands, I tell you! Thousands!

For original poster, powder lesson follows. Powder is slo-mo. Relax and
let the turns happen on their own. Powder falls are a delight - make
sure you fall a few times and see for yourself. If you don't make a fool
of yourself, you haven't skied powder properly. Have fun.

Actually forget everything else I and the rest of us have said (except
the powder cord bit - that's important) and just have fun. Have fun!
Old January 5th 05, 03:15 AM
Richard Henry

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Jack Nixon wrote:

I don't think it's possible to teach skiing on-line.

What?! We've been doing it for a decade right here - why, I suspect
there are untold thousands who learned to ski just reading our excellent
explanations and discussions. Thousands, I tell you! Thousands!

For original poster, powder lesson follows. Powder is slo-mo. Relax and
let the turns happen on their own. Powder falls are a delight - make
sure you fall a few times and see for yourself. If you don't make a fool
of yourself, you haven't skied powder properly. Have fun.

My first time in DEEP powder (I grew up in Vermont, so give me a break) I
fell on my first turn on a steep, but not very long pitch, that I usually
just bomb down (the face below and left of the top of the old Chair 1 at
Mammoth). I fell with my head below my feet, completely buried. I was
wearing goggles, but all I could see was the translucent light filtering
theough a couple of feet of disturbed. I eventually managed to work my feet
and skis loose and swing them over my body and below me so I could stand up.
Then I fell again.

After getting up, the rest of the day was quite pleasant.

Old January 5th 05, 04:10 AM
Wayne Decker

Hmmm. When was that? I think I saw you in that predicament.

To the original poster: Great advice from all here. My tibit is to
remember that skiing in powder is like water skiing downhill--if you can
imagin. You need to let your skiis float--and get used to that "floating
feeling". You may feel that you need to go a little faster to get them to
float than you are used to (But there is more friction in pow so chances are
you aren't really going much faster--it just feels that way). Don't attempt
a turn until you feel them float. The balance is different. .--or at least
feels different to me.I spead my arms more--since I cannot spread my feet
more. Like everything start slow. Try it on "green" runs first if you
can--then blue, then black--give yourself time to get used to the feel. You
may want to concider fatter style skis. I like the wider platform in the
pow--but there are plenty of skiers that don't. In any case let them float
first. Then follow the advice on turns and having fun. Above all, have
fun.

Oh--watch out the difference between the groomers and the pow--especially
when moving from one to the other. Hitting the pow from a groomer--at
speed--will slow you down abruptly. Brace. Be centered. Knees ready.

Wayne
--
I ski, therefore I am

Old January 5th 05, 04:24 AM
ant

"Walt" wrote in message news:cSBCd.756
5) Attach powder cords to your skis - about 20' of orange yarn tied to
the ski and stuffed up your pantleg.

Oh CRAP, that was what I forgot to get today...

ant

Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Powder Skiing Lesson and Tips Jay Sitkin Alpine Skiing 27 January 25th 04 06:56 AM
Toko X-cold powder? JMC Nordic Skiing 4 January 16th 04 03:44 PM
Base Repair: P-tex or powder ? Ron N.Y Alpine Skiing 5 January 13th 04 10:33 PM
Trip report: Big powder over the holidays Seth Masia Alpine Skiing 2 January 6th 04 04:12 PM